free hit
counters
On the brink of a 350 and need some advice - Page 3 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

On the brink of a 350 and need some advice

SpeedMatters

Don't think it'll be a problem on this one but the brand new ones certainly dont have the button due to the EU noise regs.  Can't even rev cars beyond a certain limit now 😕

Next question... do the Clarion headunits come with the removal tools usually or is this something I'll need to source or get from a dealer?  One of the first jobs is to get rid of that and put in some better speakers with a bit of sound deadening below them.  Not that I'm committed to buying anything yet, of course 😄

Edited by SpeedMatters

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have a sub in the footwell, covered in acoustically transparent material. Can remove for track day’s but it’s properly in place (to the point on my old 350 I left it in for track days).

Power for the sub can be picked up from under the front access panel. 

1A80634D-09E0-405F-A77E-CA04E315E73D.jpeg

@SpeedMatters yes you get the keys to remove the radio, comes with the manual.

The radio sounds ok, but it’s probably the benchmark for one of the worst user interfaces I’ve ever seen. 

If you’re buying new, then the HU has changed for MY2020 to have DAB as standard like the S2 did about 15 years ago 👍

If it’s the Clarion one with the centre dial & blue lighting you’re referring to then the only way to have full functionality, is to use the remote control that comes with it. It’s tedious to operate but I sussed it eventually.......even managed to get rid of the annoying demo scroll. Took me bloody ages🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

I agree, the remote makes things a bit easier, although it's still far from logical.  Whoever designed the interface should just give up.  I have mine setup to pair with my phone and that's it, it is near impossible to have a phone conversation, but at least you know if someone is trying to call you and you can choose to stop or ignore them.

It's good to hear that the supply of the Clarion units has finally dried up.  I remember saying to Jamie at B&C that I was surprised to see a Clarion head unit, I genuinely thought that they'd gone out of the game in the 80's!

So the plot thickens...!

I’ve been investigating Elise prices as the ride and nature of the car has really stuck with me. More so than the Exige really.

This evening I had a callback on a perfect spec 220 for an extremely good price. Brand new. Very tempted 😕

So both are good value, both have factory warranties, both have the correct spec.

• Like 1

Yeah there's not really a bad answer here and first world problems and all that.  Elise is 100% going to be a gateway to an Exige 350/410 so it's not like it's an endgame.  However the spec on this 350 is pretty perfect, but then again so is the Elise and it's a nice entry into Lotus ownership that I can see being a long-termer.  We're lucky enough to have a very fast barge for family duty and I'll probably get something for winter as well so it's not a case of picking something to do all the tasks.  I'd hope I wouldn't lose too much on the Elise over the next 18 months to 2 years before I got the itch for more power and for once it'd be nice to have a warranty to lean on rather than play dash-light roulette with a german manufacturer.  

I'm swaying towards the Elise.  Just feels like something I could run the balls off and then take the kids out for a gentle roof off drive on the same day.  

Annoying yet wonderful problem to have :)

• Like 1

As you say, there is no bad answer. The Elise is a great car, but the Exige being the same Chassis but with a totally different and far better power train may want you wishing for more quite quickly. 

I have owned several Elises and also a 350. For me there it’s a no brainer, Exige every time. It looks and performs like a mini supercar. The V6 powertrain is so addictive. Torque and power throughout the range and you don’t need to rev it hard to get instant performance. 

Good luck with your choice. There isn’t a wrong one and I am confident that you’ll love Lotus ownership of these brilliant little cars. 

• Like 1

On 28/05/2020 at 20:38, scott_e said:

Been debating 220 Sport v 250 Cup v Exige V6 for sometime .....  general feedback I took away from other forums was:

• Exige V6
    • more of an occasion
    • higher running costs
    • has more of a presence on the road
    • fast but no way all that power can be utilised off track
    • more stable in corners
    • more torque
    • clutch issue
  • Elise Cup 250
    • lower running cost, very affordable
    • more than enough power off track
    • roof off

It was suggested the only way to decide is to test drive each which I was planning to do this summer before my local dealership closed. Contacted Lotus and they were about to announce a new dealership but then ..... Lockdown :(  I would likely be happy either way but dont want to decide prior to a test drive of each in line. Head says Elise, heart says Exige v6 .... but then i change my mind daily. Its a dilema.

This maybe of interest , trying to figure out how each fits in the garage + compare costs too.

Exige-v-Elise-v-Garage-2

PS door mirror height on elise is 870mm , important for my garage arm and width clearance at 970mm ish.

Also maybe of use:

250 PH article:

https://www.pistonheads.com/road-tests/lotus/lotus-elise-cup-250-driven/34154

Exige PH article:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/general/lotus-exige-sport-350-driven-updated/33440

JayEmm article useful (but talks too much about the track IMO).

Interest to here how your search goes !

Scott

Blue Exige in the video above is now mine. I had a 2014 Elise S immediately before (and a 2003 Elise before that) which I loved but the Exige is on another level. Feels like a real supercar. Turns heads and the extra power is addictive. Handling equally superb in my opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SpeedMatters said:

Just saw the orange 350 and walked away. Happy to have a private message as to the reason should anyone else have it on their radar.

What the hell is wrong with it with 1000 miles on the clock?! I test drove it with 800 miles on it and it was immaculate 😳

• Gold FFM

If an issue is found why can't it be shared? Why the secrecy? Surely the whole point of a forum is to share info to help each other.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Cracked bodywork over the headlight. Draw your own conclusions. Other side had similar marks but the bodywork wasn’t cracked to the point I could squeeze it together again as in the video. 

I saw zero crash damage to the front or underside so can’t imagine how it happened. On the right of the small crack there is another mark (not the PPF line) that looked to my eyes as a further crack under the paintwork. 

The rest of the car was neat and clean. 

Edited by SpeedMatters