free hit
counters
Low oil warning light !! - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Low oil warning light !!

MD355

• Gold FFM

Ummm you would have to be clinically insane to risk that. Your mechanic doesn’t give a toss though as he’s looking forward to an nice rebuild and the profits from it 👍

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, Mightymetro said:

I wouldn’t .......

You might actually be right... I was planning to take out the car tonight.. But all major damage to my Lotus has happened in evening hours.. So I will just take it to my mechanic to sort it out.. driving it up to 2000 rpm..

• Gold FFM
37 minutes ago, MD355 said:

You might actually be right... I was planning to take out the car tonight.. But all major damage to my Lotus has happened in evening hours.. So I will just take it to my mechanic to sort it out.. driving it up to 2000 rpm..

Seriously you should not drive or start that car until you can prove you have oil pressure.

Only here once

12 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Seriously you should not drive or start that car until you can prove you have oil pressure.

I totally agree with you !!

I will not take any chances...

I will take my car straight to my mechanic.. no driving around

• Gold FFM

Tow the bloody thing there on a trailer. If you ain’t sure you have oil pressure don’t risk starting it at all - the consequences are pretty dramatic if you don’t have it.

Only here once

So I had a chat with my mechanic and we both agreed that we will tow the car to have an oil pressure gauge installed. 
The option are two

1) My mechanic suggested a Gready multi function gauge that has its own sensors and will show everything electronically 

2) A mechanical gauge for oil pressure and a mechanic gauge for turbo boost.. We will need to draw an oil line and a vacuum line. 

Ideally I prefer option 2. Do you know if I buy the early 1997-98 Esprit V8 oil pressure and turbo boost gauges, will they work. I want to make the installation look factory. Are these two gauges mechanical or electronic (do they have sensors and you just install cable, if so can I buy those sensors too?) On the 2001 Esprit V8 is there an extra hole for the oil pressure sensor on the block ? I think I read it somewhere... Or do I need to put T-connector ?

14 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

But how does he prove he has oil pressure without starting the engine? Spin the engine on the starter with the plugs out with a mechanical gauge attached?

Edited by ekwan

On the 2001 Esprit V8 is there an extra hole for the oil pressure sensor on the block ? 

Can I use the combination of 

A082N4038F - OIL PRESSURE SENDER (1995 to 1998)

with A082N4035F - OIL PRESSURE GAUGE (1995 to 1998)

from an earlier Esprit V8 on my 2001 Esprit V8 ?

Can I use the A082N4036F - BOOST PRESSURE GAUGE (1995-1998)   ?? Does this work with a vacuum line ??

Thanks !!

• Gold FFM

It looks like both gauges run from transducers.

image.png.c7396960c090a7aa113fe955790b5721.png

The oil pressure transducer take off tapped into the oil filter housing as described in the following section of the manual, however I don't think the later cars have this take off machined into the housing and the housing may be slightly different and not have this capability, I'd need to check...

Pressurised oil then flows via a passageway along the LH side of the crankcase to the filter head which
also provides take offs for the oil cooler and temperature/pressure gauge transducer. An upper port on the filter
head connects with the crankcase passageway and directs oil via external pipework to the oil cooler radiator.

The boost gauge transducer will be monitoring the plenum pressure which will sometimes be under vacuum and others at positive (boost) pressure, the location of the transducer is shown below, item 'G' on the far right.

image.png.69db333347df29faaaf8af4f31218c22.png

cheers

-Chris

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, ekwan said:

But how does he prove he has oil pressure without starting the engine? Spin the engine on the starter with the plugs out with a mechanical gauge attached?

That’s correct. It’s not rocket science to check. If you have no oil pressure and start that engine then you risk a full engine rebuild - and on a V8 I’m reliably informed it’s somewhat expensive. Others on here have had just this issue happen on 4cyl engines and that’s expensive enough..... 

i for one would prove beyond all doubt that you have oil pumping and circulating before risking a £10-£15k bill

Only here once

2 hours ago, cweeden said:

It looks like both gauges run from transducers.

image.png.c7396960c090a7aa113fe955790b5721.png

The oil pressure transducer take off tapped into the oil filter housing as described in the following section of the manual, however I don't think the later cars have this take off machined into the housing and the housing may be slightly different and not have this capability, I'd need to check...

Pressurised oil then flows via a passageway along the LH side of the crankcase to the filter head which
also provides take offs for the oil cooler and temperature/pressure gauge transducer. An upper port on the filter
head connects with the crankcase passageway and directs oil via external pipework to the oil cooler radiator.

The boost gauge transducer will be monitoring the plenum pressure which will sometimes be under vacuum and others at positive (boost) pressure, the location of the transducer is shown below, item 'G' on the far right.

image.png.69db333347df29faaaf8af4f31218c22.png

cheers

-Chris

That is very helpful !! Thank you Chris !!

So, to start with the easier part, the Turbo Boost gauge, if I were to install a T-piece and the Turbo gauge trasducer from I 1998 car, then I could install I turbo gauge from a 1998 car inside my car and it would work ?

The same applies for the Oil Pressure and Temperature Pressure... Let's say I could find a way to install a T-piece for the oil, I could install the oil pressure transducer and oil temperature transducer from a 1998 car , and then install oil pressure and oil temperature gauges from a 1998 car ?

Thanks !!

• Gold FFM

You could fit a pre 98 car boost gauge and transducer with a t-piece or any after market gauge in the same way. If you can install a T-piece for the oil the same applies, you could use pre '98 gauge and transducer or an after market item. I am not an expert with this stuff but I'd be especially careful with the oil system, you don't want to do anything that could change the oil pressure somehow. A leaky fitting for example could be an expensive mistake.

cheers

-Chris

• Like 1

Fitting a gauge is all well and good, but it’s only useful if it’s monitored and let’s face it, the driver should be looking through the windscreen for the majority of the time. If low oil pressure is such a concern, I’d suggest the best course of action would be to fit an audible pressure alarm in the cabin, never mind a gauge.

Margate Exotics.

28 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Fitting a gauge is all well and good, but it’s only useful if it’s monitored and let’s face it, the driver should be looking through the windscreen for the majority of the time. If low oil pressure is such a concern, I’d suggest the best course of action would be to fit an audible pressure alarm in the cabin, never mind a gauge.

I have an S3 that has a mechanical pressure gauge only. When I replaced that with an electrical OP gauge, I also installed an oil pressure switch, that is wired up to a pizeo buzzer. The switch has been adjusted to trigger at 18psi., although 10psi might be a more suitable value in most other cases.

Double safety for me.

Diagram below. Pizeo buzzer replaces the warning light.

1066331598_Screenshot2020-06-05at3_11_07PM.thumb.png.d115a1c8586d7a203bcf7d71edd37fee.png

Edited by ekwan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, cweeden said:

You could fit a pre 98 car boost gauge and transducer with a t-piece or any after market gauge in the same way. If you can install a T-piece for the oil the same applies, you could use pre '98 gauge and transducer or an after market item. I am not an expert with this stuff but I'd be especially careful with the oil system, you don't want to do anything that could change the oil pressure somehow. A leaky fitting for example could be an expensive mistake.

cheers

-Chris

I just realized that the 1998 Esprit V8 didn't have an oil temperature gauge.. So I found oil temperature gauge and sender unit from older 1995 Esprit...

A082N6067F - OIL TEMPERATURE GAUGE   
A082N6068F - SENDER for OIL TEMPERAURE GAUGE 

I plan to install oil pressure gauge (from 1998 V8), oil temperature gauge (from 1995 Esprit) and turbo boost gauge (from 1998 V8) with the respective senders/sensors...

Or should I look for all three gauges from 1995 Esprit ? The graphics are very similar between 1998 V8 and 1995 Esprit...

Opinions ? 

A) go with V8 oil pressure gauge , 1995 oil temperature gauge , V8 turbo boost

or

B) go with 1995 oil pressure, 1995 oil temp, 1995 turbo boost

or

C) go with V8 oil pressure, V8 water temp to be used for oil temp !!!! , V8 turbo boost

Edited by MD355

• Gold FFM

I’ve finally got my gauge in and it’s reading 4bar at cold idle but once warmed up and coming to junctions it drops to 0.9 bar momentarily flicking the oil pressure light on.  It then settle just over 1 bar

On normal running it’s averaging 3 bar and hits 4.2 ish when giving it a little tickle of the throttle 

however, I am on 10w40 millers running in oil so maybe this will explain the drop in warm pressure rather than the suggested 50 or 60 weight 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mightymetro said:

I’ve finally got my gauge in and it’s reading 4bar at cold idle but once warmed up and coming to junctions it drops to 0.9 bar momentarily flicking the oil pressure light on.  It then settle just over 1 bar

On normal running it’s averaging 3 bar and hits 4.2 ish when giving it a little tickle of the throttle 

however, I am on 10w40 millers running in oil so maybe this will explain the drop in warm pressure rather than the suggested 50 or 60 weight 

Any photos of the gauge ?

i think 10w40 is a fine oil... Remember the Esprit is turbocharged, and turbo cars need thin oil... I think (correct me if I am wrong)

So who knows what the correct oil pressure in all conditions and rpm should be ?

what setup did you end up using ?

• Gold FFM

According to section TDK in the 1993 onward workshop manual that I have here it gives the following minimum oil pressures for the V8 when hot

Idle = 1.4 bar

3500rpm = 2.4 bar

6500rpm = 3.1 bar

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

4 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

According to section TDK in the 1993 onward workshop manual that I have here it gives the following minimum oil pressures for the V8 when hot

Idle = 1.4 bar

3500rpm = 2.4 bar

6500rpm = 3.1 bar

That's about 20psi, engine hot, and idling. That dip in oil pressure seems to indicate a sticking PRV in the oil pump.

32 minutes ago, ekwan said:

That's about 20psi, engine hot, and idling. That dip in oil pressure seems to indicate a sticking PRV in the oil pump.

The sticking PRV cost me a fortune once.. Exactly one year ago while driving casually I downshifted 3rd-2nd , blipped the gas pedal, and at 4500 rpm suddenly I saw the oil pressure light flashing.. Seconds later I heard some nasty metallic noise.. Pulled over and towed my car to my mechanic.. Within seconds his diagnosis was a spun conrod bearing..

Three days later after dismantlying the engine, he showed be how 2 of the conrod bearings further away from the oil pump had spun.. He also showed me the stuck PRV that was the cause.. (I had just bought the car and changed the oil, low mileage car with minimal service records, probably previous owner let the car sit took long with old oil ?) 

After the rebuilt with forged pistons, new pump and new PRV, drove the car for 3 months and 2000 miles, and 10 days ago at low rpm I got the low oil pressure light.. switched the off and coasted to a stop.. 

Started again and no light, everything working normally. So is there a chance the new PRV has a design flaw ??? Or is it just a bad sensor ?

Edited by MD355

It's difficult to put one's finger to it without personally being there. But given the heartache and costs involved in a b*ggered engine, it's probably worthwhile taking the oil pump out to check.

• Gold FFM

Do you know where the oil pump is in a V8? It's reasonably deep into the engine, not something you want to look at unless you absolutely have to. For some additional peace of mind, maybe swap the oil for the suggested 50 or 60 weight and see how it behaves for a few miles and then swap back to the 10w40 millers running in oil?? How many miles do you need to do on the running in oil anyway?

cheers

-Chris

Very nice installation !!!

I am looking into fitting the 3 gauges on the tray just below the windows switches.. 

I have a faulty fuel gauge and used it to try for size and it fits nicely..

Now all I need is to build a custom cover above the gauges..

Plus the order of the gauges is correct !!

closest to the driver the oil pressure

next turbo boost

and further away oil temp

I spoke with a Lotus expert and he said that even on the 2001 Esprit V8 there is a hole on the oil filter housing for the oil pressure sender !! Cool

what did you do for the oil temp sender ?

Edited by Bibs