free hit
counters
Low oil warning light !! - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Low oil warning light !!

MD355

Lotus had used a transducer to blank the hole on my filter housing 😂😂😂.  Just didn’t wire anything to it 

I’ve ordered a Y piece adapter to hopefully run both temp gauges from the sump plug .  This is what I ordered.  Will let you know if they both fit 

C6828FD4-0D68-47B5-97D4-B46F9AAF0068.png

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Could you share with us the amazon link to buy this part ? Did you try it, does it work ? Thanks !!

Edited by Bibs

@MD355 - Can you please read this and spare a thought for people on mobile devices...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bibs, sorry for that, I just cannot find the part with the images...

If it's not too much trouble and if it allowed, could you just post the link ? Thanks !!

I've removed all the quoted images now, the thread is 1m times easier to read. 

You'll have to wait for @Mightymetro to post the link, he'll be along soon I'm sure :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I'm guessing the Y adaptor is this one. The thread needed is M12 x 1.5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raid-HP-660430-Y-Adaptor-Pressure/dp/B0046Y34WW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=m12+x+1.5+y+adaptor&qid=1591707583&quartzVehicle=3625-1922&replacementKeywords=x+1.5+y+adaptor&sr=8-2

I suspect you would need to install the temp sensor in the straight extension since it is reasonably long and connect the pressure transducer to the angled take off.

cheers

-Chris

This is not for the pressure transducer as I have that in the oil filter housing, this is just so I can hopefully but 2 temp sensors in the sump plug, one for the ecu and one for the gauge.  Should be hear today so will see if I can fit the VDO sender in the angles take off 

@Mightymetro

I want to do the same thing too... The 2001 Esprit V8 ECU will use it's sensor for the Oil Temperature , and I also want to install the Oil Temperature Sensor from the 1995 Lotus Esprit A082N6068F    in combination with the Oil Temperature Gauge A082N6067F from the 1995 Esprit.

The reason I am doing this, is that I want to keep the interior factory look !!

The oil pressure and turbo gauges will be from 1998 Esprit V8 ...

So will this Y part work for me too , in order to install both 2001 Esprit Oil Temp sensor and 1995 Esprit Oil Temp sensor ? Thanks !!

Y adapter has turned up.  The threads are m12 x 1.5 into the sump plug, and then an M12 x 1.5 female for the original temp sender to go in and then a M10 x 1 thread for the VDO gauge sender to go in.  Looks like it should all fit but unfortunately the y piece needs drilling out after the threads to allow room for the end probe to go in as it is t drilled deep enough

going to drop my oil later today and get the original sensor out and see if it will go in too as I’m not sure of the depth of the probe

hopefully will know one way or another before the end of the day

2D0F7151-6906-4E9D-B68C-DDB1FE6EB3F4.jpeg

F3135620-D3E1-4F83-939A-C9D2B1C5DA15.jpeg

Probe is 17.1mm after the threaded section and 5.1mm dia.
Thread is 10.6mm deep and 11.78mm dia.
The head is 19mm across the flats. 

All perfectly clear in the drawing below. 🤣

image.png.49c63245d79fb25bdb503cfcfb15ea14.png

I wonder if you run the risk of any cooling effect of the Y piece distorting your readings? I doubt it but just wondered, if the probe now sits in the Y piece and not the sump how much oil will be circulated past it?

I suspect at worst it may take a little longer for the temperature to rise and settle.

• Like 1

@Mightymetro so the Y-connector was a success, it works !!

Do you think it will also work with the 1995 Oil Temperature Sender A082N6068F (instead of the VDO that you installed)  in combination with the original temp sender of the 2001 Esprit ?

I ordered it but I have no idea about it's size ... 

@Mightymetro Looks amazing !!! Good job !!

It would be interesting to share with us idle (cold/warm) and high rpm (cold/warm) oil pressure readings..

Also what turbo boost do you get ? 😉 

Guys, I checked the Lotus Esprit V8 owners manual about the low engine oil pressure light, and it says that the light comes on when the oil pressure is below 1.4 bar / 20psi ... Just for the record...

Furthermore, it says that maximum Low temp oil viscosity should be 15w and minimum high temp oil viscosity should be 40.

So my 5w-40 should be fine right ?

• 3 weeks later...

So update :

I received the 3 gauges from the 1998 Esprit V8 , Turbo Boost, Oil Pressure and 1995 Esprit Oil Temperature gauge, and I am planning to install them below the power window switches in the small are next to gear lever.

My mechanic suggested we do a carbon fiber enclosure to hold these 3 gauges together.

I interior is Magnolia light color leather with black leather.

What do you think of carbon ? Will it look good or to ricey / aftermarket ? I want my car to look stock...

If you don't have any other carbon in the cabin, I would just take a satin black panel/enclosure.

Carbon can look great when it's done properly, but a single item would look a bit out of place.

DSCF0058.thumb.JPG.006e37bef0285805d10925344ce91dac.JPG

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

With regards to the gauges enclosure, I explained to my mechanic that the Esprit V8 interior is Magnolia Creme leather, Black leather, aluminum (around the instrument cluster) and black satin plastic.

So to add a small piece of carbon would be too much !! two tone Leather, aluminum, carbon, plastic... too many materials

He thought I was crazy not to want carbon.. Everyone loves it...

But I stick with my decision to go with black satin to make it as OEM as possible...

It is more elegant, like wearing a nice suit with necktie and matching suit handkerchief... 

When I told my mechanic my final decision, he said "why not put more carbon pieces to make it look right ?"

I replied "sure, if you are willing to pay for this carbon upgrade in my interior and I promise I will advertise him.."

***silence*** 

He politely declined... LOL

Gauge Installation Update :

So we are finished with installing the sender units...

We chose to create an extension with special oil pipe with 3 holes to install the Oil pressure sender for the gauge, the OEM oil pressure sender for the low-oil-lamp, and the oil temperature sender...

Now it is time to install the Gauges...

We realised that 2 of the gauges, the oil pressure and boost pressure have no light installed for night illumination..

Furthermore, when you put light, those two gauges above are red...

The oil temperature gauge has a light installed and it is green.

Option 1) remove the green light from the 3rd gauge and make all 3 red 

Option 2) find a way to make all 3 gauges green, as every other gauge in the car is green (most difficult but preferred option)

Any suggestions / ideas ?