free hit
counters
Low oil warning light !! - Page 4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Low oil warning light !!

MD355

Ideally I would want all 3 gauges green..

The two gauges that are missing lamp inside, have red filter inside, so when you illuminate them, they show red dials...

If I put green LED in those gauges, what do you think will happen to the dials ? will they show slightly green, or red ?

Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@andyblackman777 faulty oil pressure sender... Replaced it with a new one.. No longer problem

I also installed 2 more senders for oil pressure for gauge and oil temp sender for gauge.. 

plus turbo boost gauge..

plus no more oil leaks

My car will be super soon !!

All I got to do now is figure oil the color of the backlight of the new gauges

The are the original OEM Lotus gauges :

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A082N4036F.htm

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A082N4035F.htm

They are missing the light inside

But when you use a flashlight to check the instrument, the dials are red...

The third gauge OEM Lotus is already green :

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A082N6067F.htm

(it is from older pre 1995 Esprit, whereas the other 2 gauges are from 1995-1998 V8 esprit.)

All I need to do is figure a way to make the red gauges show green...

Not sure if a green light will do the trick, as the facia of those 2 gauges is red...

I will try to use green light to see what the 2 red gauges show.. If I knew that, I would have ordered all 3 from the same era/model, even though I think the turbo and oil pressure from the old model are obsolete..

Urgent help need :

So today we started installing the gauges

The Oil Temp gauge was straight forward

The Esprit V8 (1998) Turbo boost gauge has 3 connections behind labelled 1,2,3 and the turbo boost sender unit has 2 connections (can someone help me in explaining to the electrician how to install it ?)

The same applies with Esprit V8 (1998) Oil Pressure Gauge , 3 connections behind labelled 1,2,3 and just 2 connections on the sender unit.

Please help ? Thanks

Edited by MD355

If they are Smiths/Caerbont gauges then the 3 connections go to sensor, ground and +10V.

On 11/07/2020 at 17:37, MD355 said:

The are the original OEM Lotus gauges :

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A082N4036F.htm

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A082N4035F.htm

They are missing the light inside

But when you use a flashlight to check the instrument, the dials are red...

The third gauge OEM Lotus is already green :

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A082N6067F.htm

(it is from older pre 1995 Esprit, whereas the other 2 gauges are from 1995-1998 V8 esprit.)

All I need to do is figure a way to make the red gauges show green...

Not sure if a green light will do the trick, as the facia of those 2 gauges is red...

I dismantled the gauges on mine, cracked the red lenses with a pair of pliers, then installed the bulbs with the green “condom” that I mentioned previously.

Edited by ekwan

@ekwan you are too brave... I will simply make these three gauges red..

As for the turbo boost, do you have any idea why the turbo boost sensor has 2 connections behind ?  what is each connection ?

Thanks !!

Edited by MD355

5 minutes ago, MD355 said:

@ekwan you are too brave... I will simply make these three gauges red..

As for the turbo boost, do you have any idea why the turbo boost sensor has 2 connections behind ?  what is each connection ?

Thanks !!

I believe one to the meter, and the other to earth

• Like 1

Today’s update :

So today all sensors and gauges were installed and tested..

While the oil temperature gauge worked perfectly, the oil pressure gauge behaves strangely.

At idle it shows around 1.5 bar and at 2500 rpm around 2.5 bar. The reaction time of this gauge is kinda slow.

Is that normal ?

The part numbers are

For the sender : A082N4038F

For the gauge : A082N4035F

Edited by MD355

• 1 month later...

Update

It's been a while and I wanted to update you on my car.

All three gauges are installed and work perfectly.

I placed them under the stereo right in front of the gear lever.

They look amazing.

Left is turbo, middle oil pressure, right it oil temp.

The oil pressure is usually around 3,5-4 bar

When hot and idling it falls to 2,5 bar which I think is fine.

The oil temp takes about 10-12 mins to get to 60 degrees C.

The turbo gauge, the most I saw is 0,5-0,6 bar in 4th / 5th gear above 4000rpm at full throttle.

I am beginning to think the aftermarket BOV blow off valves might be leaking air...

Should I remove them ?

Opinions ?

I would check that your wastegate actuator base setting is maintained correctly.

If that solves your peak boost, then you could still decide to remove the BOVs.  The turbos are very small, running moderate boost and have very little noticeable lag.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

@mike_sekinger thanks for your suggestions !!

Excuse my ignorance, how do I check that my wastegate actuator base setting is maintained correctly ?

Service Notes - section ED page 41.

You'll need a dial gauge and pressure source (hand pump)

- check for rod movement of 0.4mm with 0.34-0.36 bar (4.9-5.2 psi)

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

@andyblackman777 yes this is true !!

In fact I checked with 4th and 5th gear...

The ambient air in my area was rather hot even at night... Around 27 degrees C...

So I guess at winter I should see maximum boost of 0.75 

P.S. My car is running decat straight pipes and sports air filter...

Edited by MD355

• 3 weeks later...

I finished the installation of the turbo boost, oil pressure and oil temperature gauges.. They are very useful and easy to see.. I chose to put the most important, oil pressure, in the middle so both driver and passenger can see it.. The red color looks cool with the heater switch above that is also red.. What do you guys think?

D8AD67B1-8960-4D30-8C96-4DD809615891.jpeg

9CB046A5-8E8D-492D-A37C-380617F377F3.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update : Almost disaster today !! 

Hi to all !

Today as I was driving at low speed I saw that the oil temperature gauge was showing zero and I could hear a noise like pulling metal cans on a string behind the car..

I pulled over and saw that the adapter my mechanic had custom made and connected with special metallic hose was hanging under my car.. See photo.. If the connection broke, I would lose all oil with dramatic consequences..

I immediated loaded the car and too it to my mechanic.. We saw that due to stress related to vibrations from the engine, the thick metal plate connecting it to the sump of the engine broke off !!

We placed the adapter on the chassis with clamps and used rubber too for vibrations..