free hit
counters
New S4S in Orange County CA - Introductions - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

New S4S in Orange County CA

Hello everyone,

I will be picking up my new to me 1995 Lotus Esprit S4S from Spokane Washington this next weekend. My brother and I will be picking it up in Spokane WA, and driving it back to Orange County. It should be quite an adventure! Im so excited to have the car of my dreams. Looking forward to learning more about this car, and hopefully meeting up with some folks. in Southern California.

D90BED28-5B95-4498-BB55-9492058A0638_1_105_c.jpeg.6934d769abaa95f97245fdecd4e6cc32.jpeg

C5D2027C-059E-4B5E-8823-5274951242CB_1_105_c.jpeg.13891f114dd932bbab156d395e265f4a.jpeg

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I went to pick up the Lotus, with plans to drive it about 1500 miles home. Everything was working great, until........ Went to Roll the window down, and heard a crack, and the window immedi

Hello everyone, I will be picking up my new to me 1995 Lotus Esprit S4S from Spokane Washington this next weekend. My brother and I will be picking it up in Spokane WA, and driving it back to Ora

Might be worth having a chat with the guy. I’ll PM you tomorrow.

Posted Images

Welcome to TLF Brian and congratulations on the Esprit! :thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

20 hours ago, Bibs said:

Welcome to TLF Brian and congratulations on the Esprit! :thumbup:

Thanks Bibs, looks like you've been through a few cars. :)

17 hours ago, tomcattom said:

Nice car. I quite like that interiour colour combination.

Im not sure Ive come to terms with the Red. Ill have to live with it for a bit, and see how it feels. One issue with the car, is that they tried to paint the charge cooler white, and did a horrible job. I will need to fix that.

IMG_4672.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Gold FFM

Is some of the red trim custom work? Looks like the wood trim on the door has been changed for red paint/leather which I didn't think was something the factory did.

That's a shame about the lack of quality on that white paint job on the engine. Easily fixed with some red crinkle paint though.

17 hours ago, tomcattom said:

Is some of the red trim custom work? Looks like the wood trim on the door has been changed for red paint/leather which I didn't think was something the factory did.

That's a shame about the lack of quality on that white paint job on the engine. Easily fixed with some red crinkle paint though.

I was told that the red in the interior was factory. I know that I will be painting the Charge cooler, and maybe a new Steering wheel.

On 26/05/2020 at 08:23, nigeninja said:

Oh good god who in there right mind painted it white , red mate all the way :) 

s4s insurance pics 006.JPG

Agreed, that White was not the best idea.

• Like 1

Welcome to TLF Brian. :welcome:

Lovely looking car. Have to agree with other comments about the white. That looks horrible.

I would also check the handbrake operation. To have it chocked on that slight a slope, I'd suggest it isn't holding. I mucked around with mine and followed the manual to adjust and mine holds on decent slopes quite well now.

Ian's ( @Chillidoggy) brake solution gets rid of the ABS completely. Lots of positive comments about the conversion.

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Do I understand correctly you dif all that while on the road home?? If so, very impressive, most wouldn't have gone past the zip-tie fix. 😉 And good choice on the black rims, much better than the chrome. Especially on a white car! I did the same on my silver SE, couldn't live with the chrome rims and love the black look.

The buckling under high boost could be the ECU cutting fueling because it sees too much boost (to protect the engine). I.e. the wastegate is not working as it should. Maybe one of the pipes is leaking or lose, could even be disconnected. As for the temperature gauge, that's typical of a bad connection. The spade at the sender can work lose, no connection means no signal, so the needle drops to the left.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Wow, sounds like you've had an adventure already.

Bonnet is likely to be a cheap if somewhat fiddly job to sort. My guess would be the bushes that connect the cross shaft to the latch rods have either become disconnected or broken.

395801A075U6033Z.jpg?mod=86

I had a similar issue on mine but thankfully I only lost one of the two latches.

8 hours ago, Escape said:

Do I understand correctly you dif all that while on the road home?? If so, very impressive, most wouldn't have gone past the zip-tie fix. 😉 And good choice on the black rims, much better than the chrome. Especially on a white car! I did the same on my silver SE, couldn't live with the chrome rims and love the black look.

The buckling under high boost could be the ECU cutting fueling because it sees too much boost (to protect the engine). I.e. the wastegate is not working as it should. Maybe one of the pipes is leaking or lose, could even be disconnected. As for the temperature gauge, that's typical of a bad connection. The spade at the sender can work lose, no connection means no signal, so the needle drops to the left.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

Filip

Thanks for the advice on the blowoff valve. I didn't have a ton of time to really look deep, but I did check all the vacuum lines, including the exhaust valve, and didn't see any issues there. It does have the stage 3 red chip installed. Maybe I need to re-fit the stock ECU and see if it persists?

7 hours ago, tomcattom said:

Wow, sounds like you've had an adventure already.

Bonnet is likely to be a cheap if somewhat fiddly job to sort. My guess would be the bushes that connect the cross shaft to the latch rods have either become disconnected or broken.

395801A075U6033Z.jpg?mod=86

I had a similar issue on mine but thankfully I only lost one of the two latches.

Ill have to take a look at the schematic. Ill remove the seat and get under there when I get the car back. Thanks for the tip! When you had the issue, was the lock handle moving on its own when you pull dup on the Bonnet?

• Gold FFM

I never looked to see what the hand did if I pulled it. On mine when you pulled the lever it was only operating the RHS latch and the LHS of the bonnet could be pulled up.

The fact that your lever is rotating when you pull the bonnet suggests its all still connected. The lever should rotate a good 90 degrees towards you to lock and the the last couple of inches of travel there is a noticeable spring motion to overcome as it locks the bonnet down, so maybe yours is being obstructed some how and can't fully lock the bonnet.

• Gold FFM

My guess is its just adjustment that's needed, the lever has a 'neutral' point part of the way through it's arc, going beyond that and the lever should 'spring' closed or open depending on the direction of travel. I suspect its been adjusted too tight and not allowing the lever to move backward (towards you) far enough to pass the tipping point. 👍