free hit
counters
Breakdown! - serpentine drive belt snapped. - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Breakdown! - serpentine drive belt snapped.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update: Lotus Cars and my dealership have agreed to fix the car as a goodwill gesture under warranty! It goes without saying that I'm very pleased and a big thanks to everyone in the Lotus community i

Collected the car yesterday afternoon, all fixed and working well. Glad to be back behind the wheel after two months. I'd forgotten just how brilliant the Evora is, so instead of heading straight off

I never knew about the access panel and was thinking that there's no way to do the job without taking the engine out! My Lotus dealer has tried to find the leak on a couple of occasions in the pa

Posted Images

Thanks for all the advice and offers of help everyone.

I've had another look at my car, trying to remove the clutch plate, and come to the conclusion that my aircon compressor clutch is seized in an engaged position and so could not release. In addition to that, either the compressor itself or the pulley bearings are seized too, preventing rotation of the pulley and snapping the drive belt.

I'm waiting to hear back from Lotus to see if they can help out with the cost of the just out of warranty failure. I really hope that they can, as the list price from Lotus of a new compressor and clutch is £2680+VAT. Fingers crossed.

I'm not sure if compressors for the newer R1234yf refrigerant are easily obtainable from other sources yet: I couldn't find any. New old stock Lotus R134a compressors with clutches can be had for less than a tenth of that price. I wondered if one of these can these be used instead by flushing out and replacing the incomparable oil? Or are there other differences? 

Cheapest option to get back on the road would be an aircon delete, but I don't really want to do that.

Chances are, the OEM compressor is a Denso unit, even if it uses R1234yf. I would try to locate the Denso part number, which is usually found on a sticker on the compressor itself, and look online for pricing. They're likely much cheaper than the ones that have a Lotus label attached. 

On 08/06/2020 at 22:18, philcool said:

Yes there should be 

Sorry Phil, just read your earlier post on the very subject.  Clearly it didn’t work in this case?

Margate Exotics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

You know Lotus sometimes, unfairly in my opinion, gets a bad rep. But this outcome is fantastic.  Wonder how Porsche would have dealt with it?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Not sure about Porsche, but I'm sure that they have just as many breakdowns in warranty as Lotus do. Cars are complex things and the odd one goes wrong now and again.

McLaren on the other hand...

23 hours ago, Bruss said:

By not having it fail in the first place?

Unlikely. They fail all the time due to placing the condensers in the perfect place to either be destroyed by gravel, or rot out.

Unfortunately I think we are cutting Lotus too mich slack over this particular issue. It's not new to them - since 2012 at least, to my direct knowledge. The majority of failures seem to follow a path. The ac fluid/ gas mix leaks, the pump fails due to lack of lube, the clutch jams, the belt snaps. 

This should no longer be happening.

• Like 1

Well my 2010 has never leaked, never been regassed and is still pumping out nice cold air - maybe I've just been lucky and maybe its more of a problem on SC cars?

Mine hadn't done it either until this year. The point is newer cars are leaking air con gas. They simply shouldn't be. Seals should have been replaced or re specified by now.

• Like 1

Going back to the original start of the thread with the broken belt, my 400 (60,k,) the micro V’s were cracking and I had it changed at the 4 year service. 
An observation is my Toyota Hilux has 130ks same belt non cracked or freed, I can only surmise the environment plays a big part of belt life. The Hilux is on a yearly inspection as part of the service.