free hit
counters
Door frame and door in general - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

The frame on one of my doors is slightly bent and always has been.  I have a spare frame which I intend to fit.  Once I cleaned it down from years of loft dust I relaised it needed a bit of a refurb first.  There for I adjusted the bent frame slightly to assist the slow window movement and will change the frame probably at the end of the summer.  However, I suspect the glass in the picture has been fiddled about with in the past.  Appears to be half black silicone and half original fitting.  I believe fitting these was a special system at manufacture. has anyone replaced one.  I would like to removed it, clean and paint the frame and reinstall but realise it could be tricky.  Any advice?

Also the small sprung steel pin (41) I found snapped.  Does the end hooked bit site on the door skin side of nut 42 or drivers side of the nut.

I would like to stop rattles from this door.  Can anyone pin point rattly parts and what they have done to stop as much as possible.

Many thanks

IMG_1149a.jpg

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Phil,

45 minutes ago, PhilW said:

Appears to be half black silicone

The black silicon may be silicon or more likely polyurethane sealant which is much tougher.

I think just keep at it with a stanley knife.

47 minutes ago, PhilW said:

Also the small sprung steel pin (41) I found snapped.  Does the end hooked bit site on the door skin side of nut 42 or drivers side of the nut.

Yes, goes on the door skin side.

I found one snapped recently and remade it from a piece of piano wire.

Andy.

You should find a pair of thin wires sticking out of the sealant somewhere along the bottom edge of the glass. I believe these are supposed to be connected to electricity to heat the wire which either softens the sealant or cuts through it so the glass can be removed. 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Peter 

I remember reading electricity was used to install the glass.  Didnt really know why though.  I suppose if its for warming then as you say would help to remove.  Wouldnt want to try unless I had a suitable power source though