free hit
counters
Vapor Lock or ??? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Racer X

Vapor Lock or ???

I have an '89 (non SE) Esprit. After a long, hard drive on a hot day, if i shut off the engine and then try to restart in about 5 - 10 min, it wont start. i have to wait at least 30 min before it starts up again. on short drives and cooler days, i don't seem to have this issue.

any helpful insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg

20180926_205356.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome to TLF Greg. :welcome:

Engine temp indication on the dash any different when you get the problem? I'm trying to think of possibilities. It is quite likely that someone else has had the issue and may well have an idea.

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

8 hours ago, Racer X said:

I have an '89 (non SE) Esprit. 

Does it have carbs or fuel injection?

Esprits with carbs were always difficult to restart when hot but that does sound excessive. Lotus fitted extractor fans that run when the ignition is turned off in order to extract bot air from the engine bay, are yours working?

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

It looks to me as if Greg's '89 is USA (North American) spec. So, it should have GM MPFI.

These MPFI cars don't normally have issues with vapor lock. That said, at this point in their lives the fuel pumps are all getting a bit 'tired'.

I'd start with a replacement fuel pump. Good Practice, even without any other indication of issue.

Fuel Pump AC Delco EFP241 (60-90psi, 40Gal/hr) 85-89 Camaro, 88-89 Corsica + Beretta, 88 Buick Regal    
Fuel Pump Carter (Federal-Mogul) P74006 1986 Buick Skylark V6 3.0L    
Fuel Pump AC Delco 6443225

Rock Auto's ACDelco EP241 pump costs ~$60 USD. The Carter equivalent is about $5 less.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=90646&cc=1035694&jsn=814

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA