free hit
counters
Where to buy 410 tyres? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Im hunting for some 410 rears, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 285/30 R20 99

Where are people buying them?, Camskill told me they cant get them for the Evora and if I fit any they sell my insurance would be invalid, and it would ruin the handling!

Where are people getting the correct tyres other than Lotus and what is the correct code?

Edited by j141

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Evora  Sport 410 Cup 2 tyres are as follow out of the Factory : Front 235/35ZR19 91Y PSCup 2 XL (RT Tyre) which means replacement market Tyre. Not specific to any car maker  Rear 285/30ZR20

As long as : the correct tyre size or equivalent circumference ratio is under 2% At least, the minimum load index for the axle  The minimum speed index for the tyreline Are in line

Whenever I see this thread I wonder why you need so many tyres! 

Black circles have the size. They are shown as other car specific, but I'm not aware of any tyres being lotus specific.  Personally I'd swap for MPS4s and get a more usable tyre that still works at low temps.

Edited by Bibs
Posted (edited)

Thanks Simon, Camskill have the size but they do two versions, one is merc the other BMW I believe:

https://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=139037

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s9118p139036/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_Cup_2_-_285_30_R20_(99Y)_XL_(*)_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_E_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_73dB

Im going to switch to MPS4s when all 4 need doing which should be next change :)

Edited by j141

Not sure what they came out of the factory with. Can you not double check the full spec against your current tyre? My 400 came with super sports and they still have 5mm + tread depth after 11k miles. I'm a big fan of Michelins tbh. They are expensive but but they perform great and last longer than most other brands.

Edited by Bravo73
On 01/06/2020 at 17:21, j141 said:

Camskill told me they cant get them for the Evora and if I fit any they sell my insurance would be invalid, and it would ruin the handling!

Bit of a worry they managed to get three things wrong in one sentence.

• Haha 1

I had a similar experience from CamSkill on another make of car, I'm afraid.

As long as :

the correct tyre size or equivalent circumference ratio is under 2%

At least, the minimum load index for the axle 

The minimum speed index for the tyreline

Are in line with Homologation

And, for the same axle, the Tyres have the same Brand and Tyre line (winter or summer) you're fine with insurance. 

Doesn't matter if it's a BMW or Mercedes spec Tyre (this will only affect vehicle handling in a good or a bad way) or if it's 99 instead of 94 in load index or Y instead of V for speed index (as long as the value is always equal or higher than stated by the car manufacturer) 

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Sounds like you should order from Camskill if you know what you need, but don't ask them for advice.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Whenever I see this thread I wonder why you need so many tyres! :lol:

• Haha 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Who has switch from Cup 2 to Pilot sport 4S? Is there much difference? I fear changing would loose a lot of the character the 410 has over the 400 in regard to that razor sharp steering and gip.

Posted (edited)

This is exactly my worry but the cup 2's work out 2-3x more expensive when you factor in wear rate, so is it worth the extra cost?

Edited by Bibs

Personally I don;t think the cost is much of a factor at all, given what the car costs to run, insure, service, depreciation etc. For me it all about putting a smile on my face. Its only the rears what wear for me at a set a year which is about £450 per year which I can live with. Fronts wear very slowely for me.

Edited by Bibs

I have the original pilot supersports on my 400 and a set of MP4S's on my 2017 civic type R.  Both work very well in the rain and as well in the cold as any other summer tyre I've used over the years. It's wrong however to think of these as 'safe as houses' soft options, because they are still compromised by comparison to the MP4, but just less so than the cups. They don't like extreme cold or snow, as I nearly found out to my cost last year during a freak snow storm on the Timmelsjoch pass in Austria.  They are designed with some track use in mind (20% apparently). So for me it would be a no brainer, particularly if I intended to run a 410 through the winter months instead of part sorning it. 

• Like 1

I get why one might use 4S over the Cups (hence why I'm asking), I'd just like to know if any 410 owners have actually done it and can compare accurately.

Edited by Bravo73

@Bibs if rolling resistance, Tyre weight for given load/speed, Tyre dimensions and sidewall profiles for aerodynamic issues and of course tyre/vehicle interaction for handling caracteristics were not so much car manufacturer related and platform related for OE , then yes, it would be easier 😆

But I would have a lot less work 😬

On 08/06/2020 at 09:37, bosshog said:

Who has switch from Cup 2 to Pilot sport 4S? Is there much difference? I fear changing would loose a lot of the character the 410 has over the 400 in regard to that razor sharp steering and gip.

I've driven a GT430 on Cup 2's and a GT410 that was either on PS4S's or Pirelli's of some kind. Unfortunately I can't properly compare them but what I do remember firmly about the Cup 2's is that when the weather was 2-3 degrees C and the roads lightly wet, I was being thoroughly embarrassed by a Golf GTD from 0 to 60mph. There was so little grip it was a massive slip 'n slide fest. Even more scary considering it wasn't my car.

It's worth checking out the Tyrereviews videos on Youtube if you want to see proper testing. If memory serves me right, the performance in summer between Cup 2 and PS4S was marginal, while the wet and cold handling was massive. For the road, PS4S is a better all-round tyre and I don't think you'll even notice the difference in the dry to the Cup 2.

Edited by Gears

..and the PS4 (non-S) comes out as just as good for road use as the PS4S on Tyrereviews, too.

If you don't notice a difference in the dry between Cup2 and PS4S even on the road you might as well switch to autonomous cars right away.... 

OK, I'm teasing you there, but truly the difference is significant. But I agree on cold and wet it's even greater. 

Edited by rallyesax