free hit
counters
distributorless ignition ? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gvy

distributorless ignition ?

Hi all,

I opened this topic to see if there is knowledge or experience on the forum regarding conversion towards distributorless ignition on an early 907 / 912 engine.

There are some very good reasons to do this kind of conversion to an older 907/912 engine being:

* Get those high tension sparks away from under the carbs : This diminishes the risk of an engine/car fire to a great extent in the case of a carb leak

*The timing of a distributorless ignition is way more stable and accurate and will be better on high revs.

*Less moving parts involved that need maintenance and can go wrong, no worn distributorcaps/arms, less loss of energy, higher sparkenergy.

This should create a more smooth running engine.

I have a good working pertronix system in my distributorcap, combined with a more then capable flamethrower coil and I made my own sparkplugwires out of hightension copper leads. but I thing there still is a gain in making a distributorless system, for the reasons above.

I think I know what's involved, but I do not want to reinvent the wheel, because often a reconversion comes with trouble when done the first time so....

If anyone can come up with information regarding :

* What triggerwheel can be used and from where ( another car ? a supplier ? ) and is it easy to bolt it on the crankshaft pulley

* What triggersensor is used and how is the best way to make a stable bracket

* Is a ford EDIS system the best choice ?

* Any information on a free programmable unit that is really stable in all condition + a map that suits my 2.2 912NA engine ?

anyway, lets gather some usefull information here.

Greets

Geert

Edited by gvy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lovely car! Thanks for that.

On 10/06/2020 at 04:40, semi42 said:

I fitted a mega jolt system on mine around 10 years ago and never looked back 

built the mega jolt from kit form , think these are unavailable now but the ready built units are. 
Edis , coil pack and sensors from a fiesta.

https://forum.autosportlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=2306

Steve,

Where did you get the map for MJ?  I'm installing MJ on my '88 turbo with Bosch CIS K-Jetronic injection and sooner or later will need to map it.

Mines a  n/a 907 and the generic starter map values were the same as the lotus spec so loading the map was simple without any tweaking.

there is a guy on the auto sports forum who has mapped a turbo and his info is here

https://forum.autosportlabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=19654&highlight=esprit#19654

the mega jolt software allows for easy modification to any map or to simply input your own

Good luck!

• Thanks 1