free hit
counters
Lower front grille - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 501 didnt have a lower front grille when i bought it. Went to lotusbits 2 years ago for some bits. They didnt have a grille then and said they are a rare part these days. (Not even a rusty bent one

I made one.  After doing so, I can't say that it was a better decision that purchasing one from SJ.  Mine on the left. it's the upper grill for S2 bumper - Not available in the US. It's smaller t

SJ Sportscars sell a replacement. C075U0546

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/C075U0546Z.htm

Pricey for a bit of wire mesh, that rots away in no time and no one ever see's, but it is an option.

I bought some Stainless Steel mesh off fleabay some time ago, but as yet have not worked out how to "frame it". Mesh size is not identical, but very close.

Tony

There's a guy on fleabay who makes up framed stainless mesh assemblies.  No idea how to find him again though - maybe search through woven stainless offerings.  I wish I'd made a note of who he is 🙄.

How did it fit onto the car originally - my car didn't come with one.  Does it go inside the bodywork, or fitted over the opening?

Pete

Edited by EXCEL V8

Pete, it fits inside the body work. Mine had a clip in the centre at the back that held it on the rear edge of fibre glass. There are two tabs on the side that had self tap screw into the walls separating the head light area. 

Tony

Thanks Tony.  Another bit to make!  Might be time to fire up the TIG - I've got a few stainless rods left.

Pete

Tony

many thanks

Wow £49! I think I’ll work on the framing problem ... probably braze stainless mesh to a hoop of stainless rods with fixing tabs

Rob

My 501 didnt have a lower front grille when i bought it. Went to lotusbits 2 years ago for some bits. They didnt have a grille then and said they are a rare part these days. (Not even a rusty bent one.) So purchased some mesh from wickes. Cost about £2 for a large sheet and sprayed it black. The rod size is smaller and the gap is 12mm. Not a perfect match but does the job of protecting the radiator and the horns at a lot less cost than a new replacement that is never seen. Fixed with self tappers at the top and not seen and fixed at the bottom via the spoiler bolts. 

• Like 1

Does the frame have to be metal - That looks like a black rubber/plastic U channel would work and protect any bodywork nearby better than metal.

The tabs can be just L tabs connected to the grill by a method of your choice - rivets/bolts&washers etc.

Particularly if its not visible.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Have just spotted Bauke Tocus has 2 lower front grilles for sale on facebook. The elite/eclat/excel owners club.  Both appear to have seen better days though!!  

There's one on fleabay right now - 

eBay item number:

I'm not going to bid as I plan to make my own.

Pete

At £32 inc P&P just as a start bid, I'd say the SJ Sportscars is the better bet (just my opinion). At least theirs is new and therefore presumably solid. The seller describes it as "delicate", which I suspect is code for 'very rusty and falling apart'. I wouldn't advise anyone to bid unless they live close, can see it before buying and avoid the postage ( again IMO). 

I won't be bidding, as like you Pete, I intend my car to have a SS home made unit of some description.

Tony

He also says that it is sent at buyer risk of damage! For £12 postage that is very poor. I agree with Tony that the sj sportcars option is better

I made one.  After doing so, I can't say that it was a better decision that purchasing one from SJ. 

Mine on the left. it's the upper grill for S2 bumper - Not available in the US. It's smaller to be able to fit easier (just slightly larger than the opening in the bumper).  Clamps not pictured.
Lotus's on the right. It's the lower grill. Purchased from Dave Bean, here in the US.

49937610357_7524e4c1df_z.jpg

Mine is made from 6' of 1/8" metal rod ($18 from McMaster) and wire mesh ($7 from McMaster) that was very nearly the same size and type as the stuff Lotus used.  Rod was bent with a pipe bender ($9 from amazon). Mesh attached to rod with acid-core solder. The whole thing painted with chassis paint for rust-proofing.

It was a fun project, but it took quite a long time to attached the mesh to the rod - lots of bending small wires and lots of solder joints.  If I were to do it again, I'd just buy one from SJ.

Full disclosure: I haven't installed it yet.

Edited by BrianK
  • Like 1