free hit
counters
Fuel Pumps Stopped Running - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Black88

Fuel Pumps Stopped Running

1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo. I’m hoping for some troubleshooting help. Here’s the story: I was trying to sort out my non running fans issue and testing various relays in the engine bay (i have no diagrams or service notes - an issue I need to resolve). I jumped the relays, got fuel pump noise. ***detected a whiff of ozone***

Reinstalled relays, verified fuse continuity, now nothing on either pump  

I’m looking at the  two relays just to the left of the inertia switch. The wires coming out of the inertia switch are energized as well as the green and white and the purple and white (pink/purple). 

anyone have any idea what I fried??

BE5C673D-7F5B-4B99-A7C9-FC73E282478C.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Russell,

Does the fuel pump still run if you bridge the relay?

Does the relay click when when you turn the ignition on?

Andy.

In your picture, did you reconnect the RPM relay on the left side, with the black base? Needs that connected to run.

Also what is that blue fuse laying there?🤡

Verify that the wire-side connections to the fuel pump relays are not 'pushing away' when you plug the relays in. Do I see a silver connector falling out on the black wire of the RH relay???

For that matter, those are original 32 year old relays.  They carry a lot of current, night be wise to replace them.

Sent you a PM. 😃

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I did reconnect the sensor.  Yes - the blue fuse is a casualty of a tight fuse socket. Both the 15A fuses were replaced.

What I can’t figure is that I’ve got power to the main wires in and power to energize the relays and I’ve checked relays. Is the inertia switch energized or is it a ground connection? 

Say “hypothetically” I jumped the hot fuel pump wire to the white/green wire - where would that current go and what sensitive device would it have fried?  Asking for a friend 🙄.  

Edited by Bibs

LOL, "A friend in need is a friend, indeed"

Does your ECON light in the RH row of idiot lights come on at KOEO now? Key on Engine Off

The ECON light is really dim so look carefully (preferably during a solar eclipse or during a New Moon).🥴 If no ECON, you may have fried the Engine Overspeed Module. That is located on the far left of the coil. Does the one in your car start with an A or B on the part number label?

I think (from memory) that the white-green pump voltage wire goes through the EOM.  Sent you a link to the schematics.

+++++++++++++++

Just noticed something else in your first pic: The top two relays in the picture seem swapped.  The gray case one is the double contact relay, that ALWAYS goes on the left. It is the only Double Contact relay in the coil box area. (Now that you mention it, the fan relays in the front trunk are double contact, too...make sure everything is 'in its place'.)

Bosch relays.JPG

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Great info above!

Just one thing I'd like to add. You say you have power to the relay, meaning you've measured 12V? If you have a bad connection (either feed or earth), it's possible to get a 12v reading without load, but once engaged current draw causes a voltage drop and nothing seems to work.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

So - after many tests, and re-tests, and tears of sadness, thrown wrenches, etc., it turned out it was the stupid 5 amp ignition fuse in the frunk testing good for conductivity but not letting 12v through to about half of the relays in the ignition box.  😐

now on to the original reason for being in there, which was to make my radiator fans work. 

thanks, gents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1