free hit
counters
Flooding After The Rain, Anyone Else? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Flooding After The Rain, Anyone Else?

Paul C

Had some friends pop by this morning, we went out to a local tea rooms

at 11am for some tea. we came back at about 12.30am, nice and dry with

no rain, and no rain since.

me and Vic walked to the pub (no rain) and had dinner at 1.30pm, all fine.

3.30 pm, somone came in the pub talking of flooding down town, i thought he

was joking, but said i'd walk that way on the way home.

4pm, the houses i walked past at 12.30 are now some 1 meter deep in burst river,

cars are underwater, whole side of town closed. footpaths i'd walked a few hours

before are now 12" underwater. Police everywhere. people i had lunch with walked

along dry paths that are now under a river, they are stranded (but happy) in the pub.

My road is full of cars as the development down the road is flooded, but three hours

ago it was a good meter above the waterline.

We have had no rain. None. since yesterday.

No rain at all.

anyone else?

:lol:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lengths some people will go just to get publicity. :lol:

How much did it cost to get all that bottled water poured down the streets whilst folks were having lunch? :)

Surely somebody else noticed it wasn't raining. :)

Graham

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

No joking matter mate...

Must admit, i was like "Christ!!! look at how deep it is, lets go look round the corner,

christ!!! Look!!! Their cars are underwater!!! wow!!!!, Look its up to their letterboxes!!!"

Then it took Vicki to tell me to shut the ***k up, and remind me that there were people

with their homes ruined stood all around me. Awe and wonder is best left muted i guess.

Apparently its something to do with someone releasing flood gates some miles down river.

It's pissing it down now.

I live well uphill BTW.

:lol:

Edited by Kimbers
Housekeeping (U should know better Paul!)

Hi Paul - is that Witney?

Glad we live on the side of a hill...

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

Is witney indeed Iain!

News helicopters over my house as we speak. apparently the hundred year or so old bridge in

bridge street is cracked, and closed until the waters lower and structual engineers can get in to

look. That makes witney more or less closed from the west.

I can't make light of it anymore, i'm off up the pub (if i can get there) and there will be people

there with wreaked homes. NOT something you expect to suddenly happen well after the rain.

My mum grew up here as a little girl, she can remember the river flooding and freezing, and

children skating...

...over the ground these flooded new houses were built on. And yet the houses that have been

there for hundreds of years, but a bit further up, are fine. It can be hailed as no mystery as to

why the victorians stopped building at a certain point, but it can be questioned as to why modern

house builders chose to go a bit beyond it. I guess the luxury of the wier running through their

development has worn off for these poor guys today.

Flood plains, natural drainage etc,etc...

Crumbs...

Am used to the NE part of Witney (road in from Charlbury) getting flooded - but not the areas affected today...

Oh well - at least that's Sainsbury's off the list of 'to Do's' tomorrow...

Yeah - agreed on building on flood planes - you'd think logic and common sense would prevail in this day and age... :lol:

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

same logic used in ski resorts building in avalanche drop zones, just cos one hasent dropped for about 20 years dosent mean it wont sometime in the future

remember chamonix 1999, I was there 2 weeks before it happend, so much snow everywhere

chamonix 1999

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Hmmm...

Must take a wander down the valley tomorrow with my camera - the Evenload has exploded as well and taken out the bridge at Charlbury...

_44013122_bridge203.jpg

Hope Martin at Shipton under Wychwood is OK - A361 is closed apparently.

Thing is - we're pretty well near the source of these rivers up 'ere in the Cotswolds - the next 24/48 hours is going to be very interesting for areas further downstream - even if it stops raining completely... :lol:

Iain (Chadlington)

Edited by Iain

Paul, I saw the floods in Northampton in 2000 when the flood gates were opened, the water level came up in some parts to 7ft, people were on jet skis down the streets, people were trapped in their houses, Im so lucky that I live on heigher ground, the building company I work for took 26 weeks to repair damaged houses (26 in total) but some of the local people were waiting some 9months before work started on their houses,

Its a sad summer we are having!!!!!

Mick

It's just a small cotswold market town...

And yet, i passed a SKY news live broadcast on my way to the pub.

For one night only i could see enough local plod to justify my mega

high council tax, albeit that they were stood around looking a bit dumb

and reduced to the role of stating 'this is a flood, you can go no further',

Handy advice to the people viewing the deep lake forming behind them...

Pub was open, had to stepping stone sandbags to get there at one point.

Whole town out sight seeing.

Lots of happy dogs splashing about.

Think it might be quite serious really.

Like Mick said, the gates opening relieve one situation but cause far far worse.

I have morning coffee planned in the tearooms so i'll have a better look in the morning.

:P

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear you are safe. When we saw it on the news we did wonder if everyone down that way was ok.

TBH we had it a fortnight ago!!

The street behind us was 2 feet under water, Another friend in Hull got his replacement car yesterday. His Lexus was to bonnet level under water.

It is definately not nice. Fingers crossed someone may actually take some interest in flood defences and preparation now!!!

Keep dry.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Went down earlier, my local MP a Mr David Cameron was down there too...

Not 100% sure how i can get to work tomorrow as normally there are three routes

into Oxford, and all of them a daily traffic jams at the best of time. With one of the

main roads in closed at the oxford end, and another way in closed my end, that leaves

all the cars going in on one road. I'm leaving at 6am and expect to queue all the way.

Word has it that further upstream they have no option but to open the canal flood

gates again tonight, i'm about 20 meters above the highest point of the flood so we

will be fine.

There are brand new houses flooded here, houses halfway under construction flooded,

we have a new riverside development called 'Aquarious' and it flooded right up to the

(closed) sales office. These properties share my postcode so i'll be interested to see how

my next house insurance is worded.

I've lost nothing mind, there are people with cars and everything they own underwater.

there are houses not answering as (with the schools finished last week) they have gone

away on holiday and will return to find everything ruined.

With the flood filling the foulwater drains, it's staggering the amount of people in bare

feet paddling in the stuff with their kids.

Went up the pub but it closed as there is a travellers wake in town.

It's mental.

:P

The journey to Nick Whales today was like a trailer for "Waterworld".

Passing through Ross, the Wye has burst its banks, and all the riverside pubs were completely inundated. And the Severn at Tewkesbury was absolutely everywhere: field after field had become a lake. It's the worst I've seen it. Ever.

They seemed to have cleared up the landslides on the M50, but there were still trails of gravel and mud, where the water had run across the road.

It's horrific out there. Lots of people's houses are going to stink of floodwater/sewage for a long time to come. Poor b*stards.

Ben

Sorry to hear this, and what's strange is I was just talking to my folks in Devon and they said it was 70F and sunny where they are. Hope it all drys out soon.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Maybe it's just us but rain? What rain?

We had a couple of showers on Friday, Saturday was nice and Sunday I was out on the bike!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Hope you guys and your cars are OK. F*cking Global warmth!

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Actually mate it's the opposite here at present. Around 13 degrees. Bloody cold! I think we're going outside to start everycar in the dealership in the hopes all that Co2 starts to warm it up a bit! :P

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday at the seaside, it was a lovely day here although we've had some torrential rain too in the past few days.

I saw the news last night with Gloucestershire and the huge floods. It's amazing that with the infrastructure I thought we would have had in place that this can happen. There is going to be a massive knee jerk from the insurance companies which won't be good for the future.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Not as bad as Paul, but the Thames has burst it banks where we live and a lot of the fields and some of the houses around us have flooded.

My Wife drove through deep flood water in her Audi A2 on Saturday morning and the cambelt tensioners slipped :P. Going to cost me a fortune for a engine rebuild :no.

It must be bad as it made the news over here last night and again tonight. Extremely rare for anything outside the States to get a mention unless an American is involved. Looked pretty bad on the TV.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE