free hit
counters
How much is too much? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
C8RKH

How much is too much?

So, first off, this is not a willy waving or "how high can you piss up the wall" competition, so.

I like a drink. Probably like others do on here. Recently, my wife (who has decided not to drink any more :cry: / much less often and much less quantity) remarked that drinking 2 bottles of wine in a night was excessive.  Now note, this is not 2 bottles of wine every night. But occasionally.

We agreed to disagree over this as my rationale was that I always buy, at any one time, at least 2 bottles of the same wine. That way. If the first bottle was good I feel good about drinking the second bottle and look forward to it. But if the first bottle was ropey, well, that's the one that goes to the next invite for dinner/ a bbq / request for a raffle prize by the local school etc. I know, I know, you now all think what a cunning plan!  :lol:

So, the issue is. On non School nights, I will cook dinner. The first bottle gets opened when I start to cook. And usually, I am so excellent with my timing it is finished roughly at the point the meal is ready.  Impeccable timing or what? So, I'll open the second bottle. Offer the wife a nice glass, knowing with 98% certainty that if it is not Prosseco/Champagne she will say "no thanks" I get to drink the next bottle (knowing from the first that I already like it! :animier:).

So the question is simple. Is this excessive? Normal? A problem? Or wtf the Andy, you've really now lost it....

@Kimbers would normally add a pole for this. I'm not that clever. So, discuss away.  (Oh and by the way I am on my second bottle of this tonight. Yes, I likey likey!  :) )

Displaying IMG_20200612_204118594.jpg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In short,excessive

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Its excessive...

...but you know that already and if its what you want to do then good luck to you, its your life to enjoy as you see fit.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

tenor.png

• Like 1

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

If that’s very occasionally I’d say no biggie - if it’s every Friday/Saturday probably more of an issue. Again if teetotal all week I can see weekends are for relaxing, so maybe no biggie again.

My preference is less glasses but of a reasonable quality - and another way I look at it - after 10-12 glasses of wine I really can’t be arsed to get up 4 times during the night lol 

Keith Floyd would have more than likely called you a lightweight. 😁🍷

• Like 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Easy, if the sun is out as  @Sparky will confirm here all bets are off.i say tucking into my second bottle of Chablis. Oh hold on it’s Friday so that is ok, tomorrow is Saturday obvs ok, Sunday cook dinner that is ok also. Monday to Thursday no, unless the sun is out then ask Sparky and yes I do ask him if it is ok and it normally is. 

• Like 1

You mean you actually comply with my responses?  I though you were 'avin a larf.

As I explain to my wife Sparkles said “yes” so it is fine you’re like the man from Delmonte 

Two bottle of wine used to be my pre-night out drink. One preparing dinner, one with, then off out for a good night, but as I'm no longer in my 20s I know I couldn't do it any more. A GP would probably express concern with 2 bottles in a night, because although it's not massive if spread throughout the week, it's a massive hit for the liver in one go.

Sensible bit done, it's not so long ago that I did one bottle in a night , but it was a bottle of gin, so equivalent of c4 bottles of wine. That was nasty and I'm NEVER doing it again, not even half a bottle of gin in a night. So, I'm not going to do the holier-than-thou bit because I'm not, but would say a couple of bottles in a night is best avoided for your health let alone your driving license if you want to drive in less than 20 hours time.

• Like 1

I allow a minimum of 12 hours from my last drink to even thinking about looking for car keys.  School night or not. 1 drink or more etc.

As I said at the start this is not a willy waving I can drink x or not drink x competition, more a genuine conversation re what people think.  I have colleagues and friends who drink nothing. I have colleagues and friends who drink every day.

I entertain clients with work. It can get messy. So actually during the weekends I often drink nothing when working. My wife and I go on really good all inclusive holidays (it is easy) but neither us drink for 1, even 2 weeks - it's not the "drinking" that attracts us to the holiday.

However. there are the odd nights, not even once a month, when I will quite happily enjoy a good drink. Better still in the summer, red wine with  a good full Churchill cigar (I don't smoke lol....)

As I stated. this is not about judging, or preaching. More about what everyone on here judges as being too much. Or not.  Keep it light guys (do we have women TLF members?????)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

8 hours ago, Dan E said:

As I explain to my wife Sparkles said “yes” so it is fine you’re like the man from Delmonte 

Spooky! I also blame him for the excessive consumption round here.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

I know different people have different levels of alcohol tolerance,  but if I drank one full bottle of wine I would be unconscious under the table! Maybe the fact you are able to tolerate that quantity of alcohol suggests you drink too much?

Hmmm. Depends on what you mean by tolerate. You're assuming I hadn't joined you under the table?

I often go a month without a drink and certainly don't crave a drink. But as I said from time to time I do like to have a drink!  Usually wine these days, I steer clear of beer and spirits as they give me a blister of a headache.

7 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Spooky! I also blame him for the excessive consumption round here.

You drink because you miss me.

Hmm, I drink too much. Far too much in fact. A general rule of thumb is your body can process 1 unit of alcohol per hour, so two bottles of wine (say 20 units) will need 20 hours since your first drink minimum. Of course how quickly you drank the bottles will be a factor too....

Definitely not trying to be holier than thou but seriously do you really enjoy it after the first half bottle? Yes it is too much or you would not have asked the question would you?

One small to medium glass ( no not pint) and I've had enough so perhaps I am just jealous.

BUT if you can take it and are not worried about your liver then continue to enjoy it, it's your life.

You asked the Q so just responding and not trying to judge. Take care,

M.

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

You drink because you miss me.

I really need to improve my aim.

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

I think people who don't drink or come from a similar background to some of us, would think it excessive. However I don't. If I am going to drink, I drink. If I am not going to "Drink" I don't touch a drop. As many of you know, as a group we used to meet more often at places like the Parts and aftersales show at Stoneleigh, get togethers at other car events etc. We would drink far much more than 2 bottles of wine each and the stories are 100% true (there are pics to prove it).

For me, I grew up in pubs. My mom was a Landlady and from the age of 16 I worked in the pubs initially cleaning up  but eventually managing bar. A big part of my life has been about managing alcohol for both myself and others. So I know my levels, I know what I can and can't do. 2 Bottles of wine is absolutely my limit. I know if I open a 3rd I will be in trouble the next day. I can drink around half a litre bottle of Whiskey (with Mixer) in one sitting. Any more and I feel awful the next day. I can do this 2 days in a row. After that I would be in trouble being sick, sore stomach etc. So I don't exceed these limits in my day to day life. (I have done in the odd special occasion).

I don't tend to drink on a work night. I definately don't drink 2 days before a duty. As I work most Friday nights and do Monday to Friday in the day job that pretty much leaves me Saturday nights now. It's why Furlough has been so bad for me as I have been having a drink during the week when I was on Rest Days in the other job. 

I am glad to be back, I must admit, partly to get some normalcy in my life and reduce my alcohol intake which has risen due to inactivity and boredom........plus, well.....I could so meh!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Interesting mix of comments. I guess attitudes about drinking are formed early on, as per @Kimbers notes.  I was brought up in an environment were the men went to the pub on several nights a week. A few pints on a Sunday afternoon, then settle in for the footie and Sunday lunch at 1500 followed by a few more beers afterwards...  That's what the "folks" did around where I was brought up. So drinking was very much a part of life.  However, I do laugh when I see trailers for the likes of Eastenders and Corrie (I can't watch them) as all life seems to happen around the pub and it very much reminds me about my surroundings etc when young. I haven't been in a pub around where I live now for probably 12 months and actually around home, pubs just feel like alien environments. 

After too much gin last night - my bloody head is still throbbing - not ideal when coding and testing fire alarms 🤪

Only here once

Like @Kimbers I'm looking forward to getting back to the 9 to 5 drudge to curb my drinking.  Oh, wait...

Your 9-5 drudge IS Drinking! 

• Haha 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)