free hit
counters
S2 JPS project - Page 9 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

@Final Editionis still waiting for his, going the other way. Been ordered quite a while, but perhaps not as long.

I had to email them last week, as my simple order had been outstanding 3 weeks. They then sent it out. Steve said that they were working 130% (rubbing it in, as my business has had no income since the end of May). I think they've got a dry sump Turbo Esprit in for restoration.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After lots of messing about with bracket moving due to receiving a S1 rear bumper from SJ and the fact federal cars have a reinforced section grafted in for impacts preventing normal fixing access it

After poor Nick took a 5 hour drive back from Southampton to Plymouth my JPS is finally home and from the look of the dust as seen water for the first time in years with the rain today! I d

Time for a new project now the mini is complete and building a few miles, with the Evora now gone I had some space so started looking for my next acquisition. I wanted a S1 or S2 but ideally a JP

Posted Images

Yes Lex is having his beautiful White 1980 dry sump restored by Steve and the team, they said their GRP shop is running behind at the moment so glad it was one of the first things I ordered, at the time James said 4 weeks 😂

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

@Fridgeyes to drivable, I understand it will need time after to get it fully sorted. I imagine it will stay on in the UK for a while to do the rounds before it leaves and Steve can get it refined. Might call on some help though from any willing participants. I am pushing Steve to make this the best one out there (I know there are some strong ones being finished/finished) with a nice mix of an original interior and brand new everything else but using as much existing plastic trim as possible  It has all the good bits from factory (white/brown/roof stereo/comps) so it's worth the hefty investment.

@LOTUSMAN33sorry to hijack this!

• Like 2

@Lotusfab I was close to doing an S1 but try and find an original white w/tartan car and to buy an SJ level restored car the initial outlay was too much. 

I haven't given a budget - I want it done once and done properly for me to enjoy for 40 years..I'm banking on somewhere around 50K pounds, but when you think about it, we are all very lucky our dream cars are relatively cheap to get you hands on. I don't think there is anything short of an F40 that I would prefer over my perfect Esprit. I'm sure you all understand. I do think I got it for a good price in the end for its rarity.

The thing with all these cars, once they are taken apart there are no nasty surprises. I dont have the mechanical expertise to do it myself and certainly no-one in Australia could restore this car properly, hence it's with Steve who I believe is the best person to oversee the resto.

@LOTUSMAN33you are doing a wonderful through job very much enjoying watching this thread - Looking forward to catching up with you all - the day my car is finished and I come over to collect it.

Cheers,

Lex

• Like 2

@Lex Templar I'm not sure if that price includes the purchase price, but I expect doesn't. Speaking from the experience of a thorough restoration of an S1 your budget seems a tad optimistic, especially given it's being done by a commercial outfit, and the engine aspects associated with your car.

I've got a spreadsheet of my restoration to the absolute penny. It includes everything, even grit paper and masking tape. Yeah, I'm that sad. But I had to make sure I was completely on top of the costs of mine, as I knew from experience the rebuild was going to be extensive, even more so that my others, and I needed to be able to justify it's overall expenditure without resorting to a finger in the air estimate.

I'd have to say though, if you can maintain the budget and thoroughness I'm sure your dry sump Turbo Esprit will be up there with the best of the bunch.  As you say, having originality will set it apart. Just expect to have to dig a little deeper (unfortunately). I'm sure Steve will keep you informed of where he's at in the restoration on a regular basis. As there are always surprises in a car restoration. Those challenges are part of the thrill.

BTW, don't dis home restorations, we enthusiasts do not charge for our time and effort, and I didn't log mine, but it's been extensive. Unlike my home life, in my business life time is money, and it's spent according to my client's available budget.

I'd also invest in a good tool kit and start picking up some home mechanic tips!

• Like 2

@Fridge no not including the purchase price, but looking back I'm surprised no-one else dared to venture there as the situation wasn't as dire as it was made out. It needed restoring rather than recommissioning. The car is currently painted, chassis stripped and galvanised, I've paid for all the new suspension and brakes as well as all the engine hardware and machining etc..so really everything needs to be put back together. Simple hey 😂 One area that I will save on is the interior - original carpet and leather will remain, just the roof lining to be replaced. I have a fair idea where I'm at - I do know there are no huge surprises as everything is apart. Steve has said the body was excellent to start and also the chassis. 

Don't get me wrong I wish I could do it myself, i wouldn't have the time and this car deserves more than my first attempt. I admire all the work you guys do. Mind you this isnt my first Turbo Esprit so I have some experience owing them.

When you break down the cost over the time period, it's not really any different to paying off a new M3 that will halve in value - whereas I feel like this is money in the bank long term. Key is to keep the modest daily driver.

Lex.

image8.JPG

IMG_20190817_101329.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Fridge said:

Near impossible to do that level of work whilst still in the car. Good decision.

What a load of old twaddle, I did even more with the engine in the car and just removed the gearbox to fit a new rear seal. The cars are so simple it's no problem for a competent mechanic to do all the work with the engine still in. 

Maybe so @v8vantage but it takes a few hours to pop out the lump - and then saves that multiple times over with the ease of working on the engine on the bench.

• Like 2

Only here once

19 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Rear shocks fitted 

Lots of painting and tidying 

90D2723F-1894-4B03-A1A5-51C77C57B36C.thumb.jpeg.09748faa9cc77048245a1b4ff385c268.jpeg

What's with the gold shock absorbers, are they originals or replacements. I think the ones that came on the car were metallic blue. 

Binnacle back from the trimmers today along with dash panel with speaker perforated holes ready to install, he is doing my A panel trims next so I can get the binnacle installed ready to start the car.

95A8929A-F480-4B1D-A30A-2D126A62028B.thumb.jpeg.56cd4795339f5439d74fbece292f63cd.jpeg5663F85F-ADC5-4739-B4E3-10FA8083518E.thumb.jpeg.da5abd3796826305d92eed14f0e1957f.jpeg

He is doing a lovely Tartan S1 Retrim in black and red hunting Menzies which is going to look ace when done. 
Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try!