free hit
counters
Best Everyday Driving tyres for GT 410 sport - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

With the ever  changing  weather conditions the Cup 2s on my new  Evora GT410 sport just dont work on normal roads. The tyres just cant get enough heat into them!

Does anybody have some suggestions on the alternatives for daily road use?  Would the Dunlop Sportmaxx  RT 2 be suitable for the car?

Thanks

Edited by Apexmeister

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Simon Bateman actually I do know the place 😆. Best friend's marriage took place there

Well, happy to see that our products are ticking all the boxes for most of you. Of course our competitors also do great tyres, often cheaper but lasting performance and wear rate are not always there.

This. All day long.  The best summer, UHP tyres on the market. Prices have really come down recently (you can now get a set for £650ish!) and they seem to last forever. What more could you want?

Posted Images

^ What he said. 

Current offer is a £100 pre-paid card if you buy 2 or more too! 

https://car-offers.michelin.co.uk/uk/june-2020

@rallyesax knows all there is to know about tyres, especially Michelin, so could possibly give you some insight into why the PS4S is such a good all round performance tyre.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

2 minutes ago, Apexmeister said:

I see mixed reviews on these by people, are they any good on cool damp roads? 

They’re great in my experience (we have them on three cars). Best all rounder and a huge improvement on the PSS which they replaced. I believe they are also fitted to late (non-track focused) Evora’s by Lotus.

Edited by DBG
3 minutes ago, DBG said:

They’re great in my experience (we have them on three cars). Best all rounder and fitted to late (non-track focused) Evora’s by Lotus I believe.

Okay thanks. I dont want to replace the Cups to find that they are avarage for everyday driving. The other day just after it rained the car washed out under 10% throttle coming off a roundabout onto a narrow A road opening. As the front end has no weight over it you are completely reliant on the pattern on the road.

They’re definitely good in the wet (noting we don’t have snow etc here though). I was actually wondering whether to go the other way for the next set (semi-slick), but prob overkill for a road going touring car (had them in my Elises and loved them).

• Gold FFM

Great video that. Full of great information.  PS4S for me when I replace my Cup2's.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

@Bravo73 great hint, there is also another one of this amazing guy including the continental premium contact 6, also highly rated (the continental is on our family car in rhe same size as the front tires of my Evora , 235/35/19 and we are quite happy with them esp in the wet and high speed on the motorway — although front engine 4wd might not be that comparable to the Evora....)

Edited by Snoopy1969
More info added

The Conti 6 tyres have a laughable wear rate. Laughable until you realise the cost to replace them after so few miles. I had these from new on our  Civic type R. The fronts were all done at 10k. PS4s tyres over the same commute/usage profile and already covered 18k miles and have over 4mm tread remaining. I don't know how MIchelin do it to be honest.                                    Brilliant tyres, that work great in the sun AND rain, but like all summer tyres, don't like temps below 4 or 5 degrees, albeit in a much less compromised way to the cup tyres.  

• Like 1

Just looked at your location......I stayed at a lovely chateau at Clermont ferrand a few years back.  Can't remember the name but it had a knights Templer archway near the swimming pool in the original part of the building. They used to run the French grand prix back in the day on a circuit at Clermont I think?

Edited by Simon Bateman
  • Like 1

Nice circuit. That McLaren really doesn't have a great-sounding engine, does it?

• Like 1

Okay thanks guys that's really helpful. The videos are good and you get some feedback about the performance of the tyres in different conditions. Michelin PS4 or S it is then.

Agreed, but I got both, because there was no PS4S in the correct size for my fronts. 

Plus I only have 280BHP, which is less than a lot of hot hatches these days 🙂

56 minutes ago, EGTE said:

...but I got both, because there was no PS4S in the correct size for my fronts.

I presume that you’ve got the 18/19” wheels? ISTR that @rallyesax recommendation for those is PSS on the front, PS4S on the rear. (They are much closer in performance than PS4 & PS4S). 

• Like 2