free hit
counters
How to remove rear 1/4 glass - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I've been working on mine for 4 days. It's so hard to get in to. I have used , knives, spatulas, bonded windscreen wires and an oscillating tool . If anyone has some advice i would very much appreciate it. I have the glass about 3/4 cut out, but the silastic or whatever bonds the back edge (towards the air intake), is so tough even the oscillating tool is having trouble cutting through, and I can't put mush pressure on the tool due to the angle. All this so I can remove the ridge cap. I'll still need to do the other side, so any tricks would very very helpful.

Dave

Edited by deverett

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about heat - in a wire of your own or hot knife? Please be careful - last time I was removing old rubber/adhesive from the rear quarter, I cut my finger to the bone it was so hard!!

I may try a hot knife, but it's very hard to get in to the space without touching the blade. I already have bruises all over my right arm, and many cuts to my fingers. The bright side is I have an und

• Gold FFM

Mine was the opposite and it was pretty amazing that the glass had not fallen out onto the motorway... however, from what I have read elsewhere the bonding material (solbit) was installed by being heated up via an electrical current - there are two electrical wires which hang out of the sealant somewhere - apparently usually at the bottom? An electrical charge of 6v is applied to warm it up. Apparently a copper wire runs through the sealant (according to the manual). Perhaps worth trying?

Aha, yes I wondered about the wire. I thought it might have been left over from a failed removal. I think I've probably destroyed that wire now, but I'll test it tomorrow to see if it still has continuity. Thanks.

How about heat - in a wire of your own or hot knife?

Please be careful - last time I was removing old rubber/adhesive from the rear quarter, I cut my finger to the bone it was so hard!!

• Like 1

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

I did a lot of mine with a Stanley knife. I didn't try to force the blade in deep or cut it all in one go, just kept slicing it over and over and picking out the thin shreds I created. I also pulled the copper wire with pliers to pull more threads off and eventually put a thin stainless steel wire through. Took a couple of hours but essentially I just wore the thing down I think.

I used a guitar string, plus gentle heating with a hair dryer.

If you can find the ends of the wire, you can try the factory method of applying a current to that.

Edited by ekwan

I may try a hot knife, but it's very hard to get in to the space without touching the blade. I already have bruises all over my right arm, and many cuts to my fingers. The bright side is I have an undamaged left arm and left fingers to do the other side :)

Edited by deverett
incorrect
  • Haha 1