free hit
counters
Ignition timing - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

What ignition timing are you guys running at? I have a 2.2 litre 900 engine running on a Powerspark non vacuum distributor with their solid state unit and a new coil. I have set up cam timing dead right and belt tension correct, I am running at 20 degrees advance at 1000 RPM.

I would like to see what others are doing.

Peter

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

To get my engine started I used spec1 settings which from memory is around 16deg. I don't have vacuum advance and still running points. It's not been tuned other than with a colour tune on the carbs but it starts first time

From memory, spec 1 is 16 degrees but the later specs are all around 10.

Richard

My 912 is around 10 deg at idle. max advance by 2500rpm I seem to recall, 20 deg at 100rpm sounds way too much.

Most engines irrespective of age like about 5-10 degrees at idle/800-1000 RPM advancing to a max of 30 degrees at  at around 2500-3000 RPM. It would seem to me that 20 degrees at 1000 RPM is too much advance.  

• Like 1

The manual says 12 degrees for Dellorto carbs on contact breaker in a 25d4 distributor but 1975 and onward engines call for 16 degrees BTDC rising to 34 at 4000 rpm, 1976 spec is no vacuum static 7 degrees  still 7 at 1000 rpm. however the book also says that you set 25 degrees BTDC at 3000 to 4000 rpm which will give an idle of 7-11 degrees because of distributor tolerances, I assume this is with  Lumenition. The chart on p 15 of the manual says 24-26 at 3000 with electronic ignition so perhaps I go for that.