free hit
counters
Service manual - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I have a 1989 Stevens turbo and need a manual. I'm about to start stripping the carbs so could do with diagrams. 

There are loads of different manuals about on the internet. Can someone point me in the right direction of something that is relevant to this car and value for money?

Many thanks 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Rob, 

I found it difficult also knowing where all the serviceable parts in the carb rebuild kits are supposed to go.

The service 'technical' manual which I have, although it details the inner workings of carbs, and setup, mixture, balancing etc. it doesn;t give the level of detail needed about pulling the carbs apart.

I know more now about my carbs having taken them apart 3-4 times and I'm now waiting on some missing parts from the company that provide and exploded diagram which I found very useful to know what I was missing 

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/product-category/dellorto-car-carburettors-parts/parts/dhla-parts

If you check my recent post, you will see that I mistakenly purchsed brand new turbo original Lotus cards thinking they were right for my N/A, so let me know if you get stuck or the cost of a professional refurb seems unreasonable.  

That's really useful, thank you. Any idea where I can get the correct service technical manual from? I've now got most of the manual for the Stevens car, just not a carb turbo one. Cheers  

Yep, got a good one on the PC, but sadly I was called back to work and it's at home. There is a good one available on the net and if I can find it I will forward to  you and post a link on here.

• Like 2

This is a good one to follow.

Just remember, before you start the float level is critical to prevent over fuellng and possible fire. The float levels are dictated by the weight of the float in your carbs. Most are 10G but there are variations, so check both the fuel level in the fuel chamber before you start and the float gap with the needle open.

http://www.espritfactfile.com/carbbalancing.html

On 04/07/2020 at 10:53, johnpwalsh said:

Yep, got a good one on the PC, but sadly I was called back to work and it's at home. There is a good one available on the net and if I can find it I will forward to  you and post a link on here.

• Like 1

You can, with a bit of practice get away with a simple flow meter, but I find the 4 set manometer far better. In fact I use both, the flow meter for a quick check, but the manometer if i'm doing a full tune up. Time and patience is the secret on this one.

Regarding the floats, the DHLA 45 D and DHLA 45 M carburettors should have float weights of 8.5 g. When the cover is held vertically with the float hanging downwards the distance between the lower edge of the float and the cover's gasket should be 14.5 - 15 mm.