free hit
counters
Fuel door flap - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

So, second time filling the Evora, i couldn't close the fuel door. It kept popping up. I tried moving the rubber tether this way and that tried pressing the release button again etc. Had an embarrassing drive home where literally everyone was trying to tell me my fuel door was open.

After a lot of fiddling, I managed to close it seemingly by ensuring the 'bar' handle of the filler cap was completely parallel to the line of the car... Is this a 'thing'? Does anyone have any advice? I don't want to be stood on a forecourt for 30 minutes fighting with a fuel door with everyone watching!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks, whilst that was a learning at the petrol station whilst frantically googling, it didn't resolve the initial issue. Was certainly odd felt like something was blocking it but I tried putting the

Paint a stripe down the side of the car over the flap!  Then the tape will be even more stealth!  😄

While I appreciate that works for you, I've not had to do that on any of the 8 Evora's I've had in my possession. 

Posted Images

It might be where you are putting pressure on the door to close. Contrary to what you might think, push down on the front edge (the edge closer to the front of the car) not the back edge.

fuel.JPG

Edited by 2011 Chrome Orange

Thanks, whilst that was a learning at the petrol station whilst frantically googling, it didn't resolve the initial issue. Was certainly odd felt like something was blocking it but I tried putting the tether everywhere.

The reason I knew it wasn't the solenoid or latch was because I could close it if I held the fuel cap in one hand. Had no problem at all the first time I filled it up!

Edited by Bravo73
  • Like 1

I've had an issue where the flap wouldn't open and had a similar embarrassing moment at the petrol station forecourt but issues getting it shut.

my problem turned out to be some shampoo / cleaner residue that pooled in the filler cap depression and then dried and went gummy and stuck the flap down.  Wasn't hard stuck but just enough to overcome the spring that flicks the door open.

Might be worth spraying some PTFE spray in the hinge and mechanism?  Or carry a spare roll of duct tape?

Thanks, love the duct tape idea, the car is black and white so it might actually work stylistically :D I'm going to have a play with it next weekend to see if I can work out what the failure and success points are in more detail. hopefully I can make some sense out of it

On 21/06/2020 at 20:25, 2011 Chrome Orange said:

push down on the front edge (the edge closer to the front of the car) not the back edge.

While I appreciate that works for you, I've not had to do that on any of the 8 Evora's I've had in my possession. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The first time it happened to me on my 400, I did panic a bit. I managed to resolve it somehow, but then read on here that the tether is usually the culprit. I now make sure the retaining strap is moved around the cap and not bunched up, before I close the flap. No issues since. 

You can slide the painted cover off of the filler cap to see what's happening closer, it's not hard to remove I'm told. Once that's off, you'll be able to see the mechanism working without the cap blocking your view. The hole which the pegs goes in can be very lightly filed for a better fit, this should help with the problem the OP has. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My advice often comes from people much more knowledgeable than me! 👍

Evora NA

20 hours ago, Bibs said:

You can slide the painted cover off of the filler cap to see what's happening closer, it's not hard to remove I'm told. Once that's off, you'll be able to see the mechanism working without the cap blocking your view. The hole which the pegs goes in can be very lightly filed for a better fit, this should help with the problem the OP has. 

You can slide the cover off the hinge? Never knew that. My cover has never got stuck up or down, but it's never sat central in the bodywork hole and the uneven panel gap around it upsets my OCD. Maybe I can take it off and adjust its position to get it dead in the middle...

• Like 1