free hit
counters
Stick or Twist? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
blueg33

Stick or Twist?

I have a rather lovely Daytona Blue Evora S Sports Racer IPS and I am thinking about upgrading to a newer car, so I have test driven a couple and am in a genuine quandary

I have test driven and/or sat in Evora 400 Hethel edition and Evora 410 sport, and I'm stuck.

My car - looks great (IMO), is very comfortable but doesn't have the power delivery of the 400/410

Hethel 400 - nice engine, IPS which suits me, but the seating position is up high and the seats less comfy than the old Recaros, and overall the cabin feels cheaper than my car, mainly because of the plastic sill covers (mine are leather).  Also I think that the car looks less sleek, probably because of he lack of a black roof.  Comfortably in budget

410 sport - love the power delivery and looks, like the seating position as is lower, but worry that the seats would be torture on road trips where I am doing 4-5 hours a day in the car,, could I actually get anything onto the luggage shelf nagging doubt about clutches (forgot how noisy the manual drive train is),  has the same tacky plastic sill covers as the 400, nowhere to put odments plus its at the top of my budget.

I sort of feel that the 400 is a setp up in performance nut a step down in cabin feel and looks.  The 410 has the potential to be lovely and bloody annoying

If I had the budget a gt410 sport would be the answer as I have driven one, but they are too much :(

So is my current car the sweet spot except for power, or am I missing something?

Edited by blueg33

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have a 410 Sport. Love it. Seats I find really comfortable (you need the adjustable brackets to get the thigh support) and have done 400/500 miles in them in one journey no issue.

Plastic sill covers - well plenty of places including TLF where you can order the Carbon GT430 ones, just undo two screws and it's done.

I actually feel the 410 Sport interior looks and feels great. Not cheap at all but then I am biased of course. Certainly had lots of petrol heads in it and not one of them have said it's crap, and every one of them, and I mean every one of them, has commented on how special the interior feels and how good the driving position is.

The Hethel Edition 400's are super cars, you won't be disappointed driving one or owning one. Really great cars. However, there are less 410 Sports on the road than GT430's. Only the GT430 beats it for carbon coverage.  They are really special cars, but then, yes, I am very biased lol....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Did the 400/410 you tested have the leather or alcantara interiors? Just my opinion but I really think the alcantara in the 400/410 really lifts the interior.

Your SR interior is great though I have to say.. I still miss it!

• Like 1

410 with Sparco's? @bosshog's car and it's a stunning example :thumbup:

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I had a 410 for an entire day to test drive it, it did have the carbon buck seats and they were comfy 'enough' - but, I did find the firmer ride with those seats just a little too much come the end of the day, I was fortunate enough to sample one with the Sparcos a while later and I much preferred them.  I ended up getting an S IPS myself (now sold and replaced with an Elise!) and in many ways I think you're right about the interior, the S1 Evora are a bit more special feeling; you're more cocooned and with the premium pack, everything is covered in leather!

Anyhow for your dilema!  That link from Bibs above is what I'd get in a heart beat and I don't think you'd regret it.  Colour wise its a decent enough contrast from your Daytona blue S (which is a stunning colour BTW!).  In fact if it were a 2+2 (not sure the 410 sport comes as a +2 though) I'd swap both my cars for it!

What I didn't add is the colours I wont do :)

White, Black and yellow are off the list - yellow because 2 of my road rip mates have yellow cars so its a bit "follow the herd" which I try to avoid, and the domestic chief executive doesn't like yellow cars, so I would get grief.  Otherwise a 410 sport with those seats would be perfect if I could mount them low enough.

The Daytona blue is a hard colour to replace, IMO very few colours look as good

Have you seen the Daytona Blue 400 that’s been advertised for a while? Has the komotec 460 kit I believe 

• Like 1

I have seen the ads.  Not sure about it for some reason that I cant put my finger on.  When I bought my current car (thanks Dave :))  the level of want was really high.  I'm not getting that for a regular 400 or for the Komotec one.

That’s a tricky one.. when I was buying my latest car I was just as excited as I was when I bought the sports racer. I think you really have to be positive about such a large purchase... the fact that you’re not suggests maybe it’s time for something different.. how about an Exige?!

Eeeeewwwwwww. A 360. Horses for courses I guess.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I would think once you own a 400 or 410, you won't notice the interior changes that niggle whilst you still own the S. 

When I drove S IPS back to back with a 400 IPS, I much preferred the 400 with its snappier gear change. I then drove a 410 Sport and I found the suspension not to my liking on bumpy B roads. 

If I were you, I would probably wait until GT410 Sport are within budget...2 to 3 years. If you can't wait, buy a 400 IPS and swap to GT in 3 years or so. 

Justin 

400 IPS - never driven one. Followed one for miles on the IoM. Epic cars!!!

1 hour ago, jep said:

I would think once you own a 400 or 410, you won't notice the interior changes that niggle whilst you still own the S. 

When I drove S IPS back to back with a 400 IPS, I much preferred the 400 with its snappier gear change. I then drove a 410 Sport and I found the suspension not to my liking on bumpy B roads. 

If I were you, I would probably wait until GT410 Sport are within budget...2 to 3 years. If you can't wait, buy a 400 IPS and swap to GT in 3 years or so. 

Justin 

I could be wrong or maybe not skilled enough to notice but the IPS in Nicks car (my old car) seemed pretty quick to me. I test drove a 400 auto and it didn’t seem that different to the sports racer. I know it’s supposed to be much quicker and sharper but I didn’t really didn’t notice 

1.6 seconds in the S1 vs 0.6 seconds in the 400 iirc, that should be very noticeable. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The 410 feels significantly quicker. Much more torque, pulls better in each gear.  

my first thought was hmm feels similar, then I realised that I hadn’t pressed sport. My next thought was “wow” followed by “oops” as I went faster into a corner than was prudent. 

I’m with you re the S1 interior. Would giving your Sport Racer more power solve the problem? There are quite a few SC upgrade options I believe - maybe the TVS1900 used by SSC here or BOE?

7 hours ago, Bibs said:

1.6 seconds in the S1 vs 0.6 seconds in the 400 iirc, that should be very noticeable. 

Yep you’re right - I just didn’t notice much difference in practice.

3 hours ago, blueg33 said:

The 410 feels significantly quicker. Much more torque, pulls better in each gear.  

my first thought was hmm feels similar, then I realised that I hadn’t pressed sport. My next thought was “wow” followed by “oops” as I went faster into a corner than was prudent. 

I only meant the auto gear change. The 400/410 is a fair bit quicker than the S.. even I could notice that difference!

Sorry - I didn't read properly.   The gearchange I found was noticeable but not hugely.  Both are way faster than a manual shift.

• Like 1

@Tris... Owning a 2010 Evora and having driven a 400 and a 410, that is exactly how I feel about the 3 cars. Whilst having not owned a 410 or 400, the 410 really surprised me in being the first Lotus I have driven (which includes S300 Esprit) that failed to modulate a bumpy B road in the manner I was expecting. 

I had never previously felt the need to adjust the suspension on any Lotus. The 410, for me, needs dash controlled adjustable suspension so you get the best of all worlds. I appreciate McLaren are a price level above but the adjustable 12c system gives you supple or firm at the turn of a switch. 

Justin 

Something else to consider thats not been mentioned:

• On the road there is nothing between a NA and a 410 at road legal limits
  • The 4xx feels much faster though (at least compared to the S I had before)
  • 4xx cars are much more easy to get in and out of with the lower sills and this does make a difference in car parks/walls etc
  • There is more foot well space (for those with larger feet)
  • The gear change in the 4xx are lovely , the S/NA not so good in comparison for me and also depends on the state of the cables.
  • 4xx sounds amazing out of the box without 3rd party exhausts compare to NA/S
  • 4xx you can switch the exhaust off in sport compared to NA/S

Personally I like not having the door pockets as they make the interior feel bigger. I always have both hands on the steering wheel so don't use arm rests in this car. ( I do in my golf though)

Edited by bosshog
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jep said:

the 410 really surprised me in being the first Lotus I have driven (which includes S300 Esprit) that failed to modulate a bumpy B road in the manner I was expecting. 

Where you in a Sport 410 or a GT410 Sport (Someone should shot who ever comes up with the model names).

My experience in the GT410 Sport is, while the suspension is tight and firm it is by no means uncomfortable on a B or C Road. I don't know whether there is a different between the two 410 models. I've always been amazed at how much better the suspension setup on Evora's is compared to the Cayman I drove while the LE was in the shop.

Couldn't get rid of the Cayman quick enough.

Tris...

Two models right now. GT410 is the new cheaper model and is ever so slightly softer. The GT410 Sport is still available. So two Evora models and not to be confused with the Sport 410 that has the 400 bumpers and oodles and oodles of carbon loveliness.