free hit
counters
Stick or Twist? - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
blueg33

Stick or Twist?

Early days for me moving from a very well sorted NA to a GT410sport just last week. Even with limited revs allowed in the running period the GT feels like a bonafide super car, the NA never felt slow but the 410 is in a different league. The ride Quality in the NA was out of this world probably better than most family saloons, not bad going for a sports car. As much as i liked the NA interior the lastest model just feels more upto date with lots more room. One of the most talked about topics on early Evora’s the gear change well can honestly say the 410 doesn’t feel that much better than the NA, no record of my NA having it’s cables changed in its life time so probably a very well sorted when it left the factory and yes it’s bugging me a little I keep trying to rest my arm on the armrest and it’s not there, something I will get used to I hope. Like I said early days for me with the 410 but for anyone looking for getting into the Evora for the first time a very well sorted NA is a great place to start.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@blueg33 if you are happy with the int and esp the recaros easy solution: save your money for upgrading and stick to your "old car" , as mentioned before by others: the power of "even" a NA is more than enough for legal speeds (even from the german autobahn perspective over here ...;-) - the "old" interior is a very lovely place with "full" leather, not matched by the 400 etc (personal taste of course)

As Dennis Jenkinson wrote about his thoughts about upgrading from a 356 a to 356 b: the diffence was much too small to justify the money 🙂

@bosshog since MY 12 the 3rd cat has been deleted on the S1, sure the 400 has a far louder exhaust which flap could be opened from the sport mode independently (think actual 410 will open the flap in the exhaust after some revs due to other regulations in the meantime)

Edited by Snoopy1969
  • Like 1

I keep going through this conundrum and honestly the NA is all one really needs. But I will keep lusting for the more-powerful models (esp. GT430) 🙂

Edited by EGTE
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the thoughts.  Its a real quandry.  I like everything about my S sports racer apart from:

Power and weight.  These are the things that going to a 400 or 410 change for me, and it make a real difference on my mountainous road trips where I am following some pretty quick cars, its not vmax that concerns me, its acceleration up and down the box 2nd, 3rd, 4th.  Ther 4**'s are noticeably quicker.

I think I have concluded that there are 2 compromises 

1.  Stick with the current car

2.. Go for a 410 sport and maybe fit Recaro seats for the longer trips where comfort and access to storage behind the front seats is useful (can recaro's be retrofitted easily enough? and will they sit high as per the Sparco's or lower as in the S1 cars?)

Hey Nick, it's a nice problem to have.

I went from an S to a 400.

I'm pretty sure I posted a comparison after a few weeks of ownership somewhere, but can't for the life of me find it.

From memory:

1. The power and weight difference is noticeable.

2. The ride is not as compliant, and the S was definitely a better mile-muncher

3. The steering is much more direct, and the better for it when *cough* progressing.  Less bump-steer.

4. Ingress/egress is MUCH better.  I still can't risk a mini-skirt, though.

5. The interior felt more luxurious/ bespoke in the S, but the controls are much better in the 400 and there's no "airbag of doom" to worry about.  I do feel that the 400 cabin is more spacious.  Oh, and the HVAC is a marked improvement.

6. The Sparcos are not as comfy as the Recaros

7. I miss the change lights, but the small digital speedo at the top of the binnacle is a real boon.

8. You still can't wear polarised sunglasses and read the display.

9. It's cheaper to tax

10. Fuel economy is about the same

11. I definitely feel that the gear change is an improvement - purely subjective - just feels better.

12. Tyres last longer - although that is largely due to the switch to the Michelin tyre, which are excellent!

13. Noise.  It's always in sport.

14. My S was nudging 70K miles.  A newer car with the balance of warranty and not more than delivery mileage just took that niggling doubt, unfounded or not, away

15. I loved my S.  A lot.  I love my 400 more.

I get that you wouldn't want to follow the Herd, but that 410 of @bosshog is no ordinary yellow car, and it already has the Sparcos.

Edit: When I talk about Sparco's in @bosshog's 410, I mean that they're Sparco's as in a 400, not the cf seats.

• Like 2

Thanks Dave

Glad you dont wear miniskirts...........

I would be interested in the yellow car if it wasn't yellow.  Showed the pic to SWMBO last night - the expression said it all.  Yellow is a non starter.

Shift lights are useful, I used them in my Tuscan, I fitted them to my G33 and I use them in the S 

The 400's are only a couple of years older than my 2014 S and I know that my car wants for nothing so I am happy that it's low risk, but I can see your logic

I have "no idea" what the tax is which is embarrassing, I just pay by direct debit, but because mine is an IPS I thoink its lower than the manual S

@DaveC72 Clearly you boot it around harder than me 😄 . In the S I never ever got more than 22mpg no matter how hard I tried. When I'm out for a (CAD) blast around Norfolk its 22mpg, however on the long trips to the Alps etc with lots of 'spirited' drving I average 27mpg. If I'm just commuting to somewhere on the A roads I hit around 32-34mpg so big improvement there for me.

• Like 1

If you don't like the colour you could always go all YouTuber and wrap it... Just check the insurance impact first but the rest of the car is much harder to change!

Your current car is stunning, have you not considered some of the Komotec kits to bring the power up? That way you get the best of both worlds? 

Loved my 400 Auto and made seats more comfortable by removing spacer at rear of runners and moving to front, giving more under leg support and lowering seat slightly.  

Great fun on IOM and positive feedback from owners of Lambos, Mclarens and Fezza’s re exhaust noise ;)

4-DE16-B3-B-3218-4-AE5-B5-C8-F0-A11-CC97

Lack of armrests on the 410 models would drive me mad on long runs. 

So I say twist for 400 Auto. 

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 02/07/2020 at 19:37, paranoidandroid said:

Your current car is stunning, have you not considered some of the Komotec kits to bring the power up? That way you get the best of both worlds? 

I have, but I am not that keen on modding cars, you have to spend alot of £££'s and never get it back.  As well as Komotec type engine mods I would need to do brakes as well

I am just having my car made as close to perfect as I can for its age, spotted a tiny paint fault that I'm having fixed.  Then I will advertise it and see what the appetite is from people.

Replacement will be either a 410 sport of a Ferrari 360 (I like these, and sometimes a change is necessary)