free hit
counters
S4s - Sport 300 mongrel: has it been done? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Vanya

S4s - Sport 300 mongrel: has it been done?

Hi all,

Another day, another silly idea. So I've seen a load of Turbo SE:s converted to sport 300 spec over the years, but has anyone taken an S4 or S4s, slapped a Turbo SE front bumper on it, and 1 inch smaller Futura's front and rear? Surely that's way closer to a legit Sport 300 (and cheaper too considering you don't have to change the doors as well). I'm guessing the bumpers are relatively interchangeable, as well as the wiring for the lights?)

I've found a dirt cheap S4s which I'm considering adding to my collection, hence the question :)

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hmmm...............….

Sport 300: June ‘93

U.K. & Export (not USA) VIN: P 8001

As Esprit S4 specification with following changes:

Lightweight body, bonded-in roof, scuttle brace, enlarged wheel housings with wheelarch extensions, ‘92 style front bumper/spoiler, fog lamp recesses now brake cooling ducts, ‘92 style rear bumper, valance and sills. New rear aerofoil. Reinforced chassis, bolt-in engine bay brace, roll cage mountings. 300 bhp engine with T3/T4 turbocharger, increased boost pressure, recalibrated ECM, larger inlet valves and ports, raised fuel pressure, combined chargecooler rad./condenser on non a.c. cars. Lotus limited slip differential, uprated clutch cover and flywheel. - Revised front and rear suspension springs and dampers. Larger front and rear brakes, with AP Racing 4-piston calipers and ventilated discs at all four wheels. Separate parking brake calipers. 3-piece O.Z. wheels with 245/45 ZR16 (front) and P315/35 ZR17 (rear) Goodyear Eagle GSC tyres. Alcantara interior trim, Senotex instrument masks, larger tachometer and electronic speedometer moulded bucket seats, anti-slip pedal pads, individually numbered header rail plaque.

Off you go, then!

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

I just have to strip @Jacques car for some parts and then I think I'm all set. 😅😅😅

Also I believe some of those revisions made it into the S4s as well. Totally missed the bonded in roof! 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Reading the list, there’s not many similarities apart from the rear wing, T3/T4 turbo, clutch and flywheel!

Margate Exotics.

I guess it depends what you want. If for looks, I'd say the SE is the better starting point. Performance wise (and I hate to admit this), the S4s will be closer. I seem to recall the Sport 300 also came with ABS, like the S4 and S4s. Something the (early) SE was not burdened with.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

3 minutes ago, Escape said:

I guess it depends what you want. If for looks, I'd say the SE is the better starting point. Performance wise (and I hate to admit this), the S4s will be closer. I seem to recall the Sport 300 also came with ABS, like the S4 and S4s. Something the (early) SE was not burdened with.

Filip

Yep the S300 had the fantastic DMIII system. Love it. It's so retro. 

Damn, I forgot the side skirts are also Turbo SE on the S300 - but all that stuff I can strip from my SE. 

My mongrel can do without an LSD, considering Lotus didn't bother fitting them as standard until pretty recently (didn't the V6 Exiges also roll with open differentials?). It's all about the looks! 

11 hours ago, Vanya said:

I just have to strip @Jacques car for some parts and then I think I'm all set. 😅😅😅

💀

Meanwhile I have acquired an original Sport300 front spoiler and the Speedo and rev counter also from Sport300. Plus a binnacle ;)

You may have to wait a bit more, as more original Sport300 parts are on the way. And then some. And then some more.

They are waiting in boxes, for the day I have time enough for the next step.

May I remind you, that the first Sport300 had SE door handles ;) So that would be original. Not the S4 parts.

Also, the S4s turbo is not the same as the Sport300, and also the induction hose is larger on the Sport300 (which I have also installed). It's smaller on the S4s.

May I also remind you, that some Sport300 had factory installed aircondition, so a la SE.

And some Sport300 came with S4 comfort seats, not the Sport300 model only bucket seat.

The engine cover is also a modified one from the SE with the new style tailgate.

I happen to have a set of the "tops" to be welded on the frame in a box on the desk, if you need to copy them.

The powersteering suposedly demands removable strenghening bars on the front frame, which is welded in on the SE model with out powersteering.

Personally, I prefer a set of rebuilt S4s wheels to adopt Sport300 width tires, over the higher profile smaller diameter Sport300 wheels.

The Sport300 had extra bolts to hold the thin chassis in place to the frame.

And it had thin noise dampers instead of thicker ones for the suspension (I've been told).

And of course the uprated improved cold air supply for the front brakes.

Some Sport300 did not come factory built with alcantara on the steering wheel, but normal leather.

Kind regards,

jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)