free hit
counters
Steering Wheel - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I have looked and looked for another option for Elite Steering wheels

Basically there seem to be non......personally I think the available replacements look too modern

I love the original 2 spoke (Im only doing this as mine is knackered and now doesn't fit with my bright shiny new interior)

to this end..........Ive done a design....and am going to find out how much it is to get made

Ive stuck with the 2 spoke theme......but tried to soften the big 'block' infront of you...and add a bit of the old in, by using typical drilled spokes

anyway...........at the moment I'm at 'design' stage

thoughts and ideas are much appreciated.......and I have thick skin so please let me know what you think....

cheers

G

Steering Wheel Design_01.pdf

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very elegant!   are you intending to go for a polished finish or Matt black?  

MOMO 3 spoke fits a treat...with adapter boss.  Mike

I brought this year's ago. I've brought a centre boss in the last month to take a mold and make a new one in closed cell foam.

Posted Images

Steering Wheel Design_01.jpg

Steering Wheel Design_02.jpg

Black leather with brush finished spokes.....

@guitar hero 

@guitar hero how is the view of the gauges tho'.......the ones I've seen with the rising horizontal spoke seem to obscure the binnacle a bit.......???..

I'm trying to keep the horizontal spokes as the original and below the steering column shroud

58 minutes ago, guitar hero said:

MOMO 3 spoke fits a treat...with adapter boss. 

Mike

Interior3.jpg

Interior2.jpg

Excellent interior, I particularly like the bank of switches in the original radio slot location. 

guitar hero - very good looking interior and a good looking  centre panel with the radio/switch swap over. who did the upholstery ?? it looks good.

I have a triumph stay steering wheel that's fits ok. It could be spitfire, GT6, dolomite etc etc. It's the same size as the original and has aluminium spokes. The only thing I need to do is to mold a new boss with lotus on it.

?%26page=24&title=Another%20resto...%20-

I brought this year's ago. I've brought a centre boss in the last month to take a mold and make a new one in closed cell foam.

• Like 1

Anyone got the steering wheel dimension for the horizontal cross member........and the offset for the steering boss/column.....

I think there are 2 fixing holes to each end too.......dims to those would be good.....

thanks 

G

anyone able to add the dimensions to these sketches?

Steering Wheel Setout Dish.jpg

Steering Wheel Setout Holes.jpg

Steering Wheel Setout Section.jpg

On 03/07/2020 at 19:55, mikeeech said:

?%26page=24&title=Another%20resto...%20-

Love the look of that wheel. IIRC it was fitted to the Stag, 2000/2.5PI/2500 and Dolomite. The spokes look about horizontal so shouldn't affect visibility and the style is period too. I'm quite tempted to replace my Personal wheel with that! Let me know about progress with the centre boss; I'd want to mount a Lotus badge in the centre.

Great work! Richard

That is exactly the kind of wheel I'm trying to find.......but what is it and whats it from?

Richard spot on thanks...

Sorry late spotting that

Angus553  thanks...the interior is mint except for the carpets which are ok but will be replaced in the near future. No idea who did the upholstery but it is of very high quality, the receipts for the fabrics alone is eye-watering!! Radio/switch swap was by PO.

I have since taken the stereo out and have installed an electronic temp gauge/controller in its place, as I never believed the smiths gauge and now have complete control of when the fans kick in and at what temp. 

I did the headlining myself using vinyl stuck to sheets of high density yoga mat. Has the advantage of giving a perfectly smooth finish and also acts as a heat insulator in the summer sun. The idea is you stick the vinyl to the foam matting then spray adhesive to the matting...thereby allowing you to feed the headlining in position without it flopping everywhere. 

Steering wheel is MOMO and the shift knob is now a round wooden affair not the aftermarket item in the pics.

22 hours ago, guitar hero said:

as I never believed the smiths gauge and now have complete control of when the fans kick in and at what temp. 

I put my own little controller and solid state sensor(re-purposed a little microcontroller I happened to have on hand) for the fans, along with replacing the 10V regulator with my own PWM version from the same microcontroller, and works well, but did notice the Smiths gauge when fed with a reliable 10V was pretty much spot on. I have no reason now to disbelieve it. Side effect was the fuel gauge was better too of course

1 hour ago, EXCEL V8 said:

I didn't know the gauges were 10V!  Weird in a 12V system!  Was Mr Smith related to Mr Lucas? 😁

Pete

Was quite a common thing on gauges. The reason for it was to enable more accuracy through a fixed voltage supply. The battery voltage fluctuates due to other other things being used, like the headlights. Ten volts is pretty much guaranteed regardless of whatever else is in use. Hope that makes sense.