free hit
counters
otter switch problems?? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
williamtherebel

otter switch problems??

After a layoff since October, while ive been renovation the inside of my Esprit S1, I took the car out for a shakedown run a couple of days ago. All good, except when I returned home and put the car in the garage and switched off, I could hear the radiator fans were still running. I waited for a while but they didn't turn off. In the end I removed a wire from the relay and of course the fans stopped.  Yesterday, I reconnected the wire and the fans didnt start up. I took it for another run noting the temp gauge was just slightly over half. Returning to the garage the same thing happened. I again waited (a bit longer this time) but the fans still didnt stop so again I had to remove a wire. Any thoughts? Im suspecting a faulty otter switch.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Fan relay? Or Switch? Swap the relay with one of the others and see if it works. If not test switch with a meter for resistance when hot and a couple of minutes after engine off. If still low resistance faulty switch. 

Relay is the likely cause, sticking on as long as there is power going through it. The Otter switch should have an ignition switched feed I think (as it is on later cars).

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

So checked both the relay and the switch today. Switch seems to be the guilty party. So going to replace it. Everything is now working at the moment. However, i'm also going to get another relay just in case its an intermittent problem. Thanks @Escape and @Lotusfab.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Lez, I though you said the fans kept running with the ignition off (key out?). For the switch to cause that, it would have to have a permanent live feed. I thought the Otter switch has a ingnition feed. I don't have diagrams for the older cars, so can't check, but interested to know.

Important thing is that you've got it sorted and can enjoy the car again. 😉

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

10 hours ago, Escape said:

Lez, I though you said the fans kept running with the ignition off (key out?). For the switch to cause that, it would have to have a permanent live feed. I thought the Otter switch has a ingnition feed. I don't have diagrams for the older cars, so can't check, but interested to know.

Important thing is that you've got it sorted and can enjoy the car again. 😉

Filip

Yes thats correct. Even after the key was taken out, the fans kept running. You are right of course, the switch would have to have a permanent live feed. Hmm that's another conundrum. Ill have to trace the wiring from the switch as I cannot remember how i wired it up. I just did the same as I did on the Eclat override switch. I know it wasn't that long ago. Must be having a senior moment! Still at least its working !! Ill get back on here when/if I understand it!

esprit wiring diagram.png

The fans should run with the ignition off until you put the steering lock on and remove the key.

• Like 1

The problem with my car is the keys can fall out with the engine running !! But thanks for the info. Could be part of the problem!

Ahhh. Just so you know how it works on my S1 when the ignition is turned off the fans run. But to put the lock on you need another turn of the keys and have to press the button under the column to pull the keys out. The fans turn off when you rotate the keys to this final position.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the info. It explains a few things that seemed not to  make sense. It does now though! Don't remember seeing a button. Exactly where is it? Do you have a photo of it in situ? Cheers.

11 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

The problem with my car is the keys can fall out with the engine running !! But thanks for the info. Could be part of the problem!

6 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Many thanks for the info. It explains a few things that seemed not to  make sense. It does now though! Don't remember seeing a button. Exactly where is it? Do you have a photo of it in situ? Cheers.

Could it be that the button has been removed? That would explain why you can't find it, and why the key can fall out. People not used typically have a hard time removing the key because they don't realize they need to push the little button.

Also, in the diagram above there's no relay, the Otter switch turns the fans on directly. But you do have a relay, like the later cars, right? Or is that an upgrade you did yourself (if so, good call!)? The reasan I'm following this so closely, despite not having an early Esprit, is that since recent engine work the fan on my Eclat Excel comes on at lower temperature and seems to stay on longer than necessary. That does use a relay as standard, and I have a manual override switch fitted just in case the Otter should fail (or any time I think more cooling is appropriate).

Filip

Thanks guys. My steering mechanism has a cover top and bottom (exactly the same as my Eclat). There is no button. Im going to remove the bottom half again and see if there is a button or the remnants of a button. Yes @Escape I do have a relay for the fans fitted by a PO. So the otter switch should just switch the relay. However I had a cursory look and it looks as if the wiring on the car is different than in the wiring diagram. Ive just been out for another run. Got stuck in traffic but the fans obviously kicked in and out and stayed around the middle of the gauge (which I think is about 90 degrees). So its working ok. Just cant get my head round the position of the key. It seems to work the opposite to @Lotusfab. ! In the position that the ignition is switched off the fans go off. If you switch it again as if to put the lock on, then fans come back on?????  :wallbash: Anyway, my mate who is more au fait with electrics than me is going to have a look and see  what's what.  Ill get back to you when he has had a look. 

Mmm, possible the switch wires which go into a plastic connector block have been put in the wrong way. Check the colour coding. They do come out and may have been pushed back in the wrong holes. The circuit diagram or glance at the colours should clear up the problem. You could always move them around yourself to get it working correctly.

• Like 1