free hit
counters
Where do you keep yours ? - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

4 hours ago, mg4lotus said:

@mayevora My guess was that you line the car up outside the garage, put it in neutral, get out of the car, then push it in and out of the garage.

@oneshot

Nope. Driven in. It may have come to that if lockdown eating had continued much longer though. 😊

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before I bought my first Esprit a year ago, one of my pre-requisites was to build a garage for her beforehand. Took ages doing it myself, but happy with the result. Garage sized to ensure enough room

My Evora GTE inherited the cair-o-port air-chamber, that I bought for my Lotus Omega. So it’s a fibreglass & carbon fibre & aluminium car, parked inside a multiple fan ventilated chamber, whic

Keep both my Hethel made babies in the garage. Just need to paint the walls and insulate the roof, the heating is already installed. Computer and 60mbps internet and coffee maker already in place. The

Posted Images

• Gold FFM
8 hours ago, MPx said:

In the barn

spacer.png

You need to put a four poster or two in your garage Andy.  Can double up the toys that way.  

What sort of garage height do you need for two cars with the lift?

Jealous of some of these big garages! Managed to shoehorn mine in yesterday for the first time. Was very difficult getting out!

F62CF35E-5130-4E9E-986C-CD7B16C3E4FE.jpeg

• Like 2

It may be worth checking your postcode risk rating, if it’s low then would that put your mind at risk somewhat and maybe consider the drive option as not being so unpalatable ?

It seems there are quite a few who aren’t fortunate enough to have a garage, (myself included) as long as the drive option wouldn’t give you sleepless nights then I’d say go for it. The pleasure of  ownership has got to be high on the list for myself, hence my decision to go ahead with getting my Evora.

Edited by Phillv6
15 hours ago, Ali tuck said:

What sort of garage height do you need for two cars with the lift?

Well I've not measured it but at 6 feet tall, I have to duck just a bit to get under the platform at the height I leave it.  And the Esprit is supposed to be 44 inches high.  So I'm guessing 10 foot would be the minimum and anything more a bonus.  I suppose I could leave less clearance above the lower car, but that would just be a pain to use and move around.

• Thanks 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Thanks for all the replies folks. I’m very jealous of some of your garages.
I guess I was just trying to ease my mind incase I do have to keep it outside,  as and when I get it  of course.
my Elise was tightish which gives me hope if I go exige route. If I go evora route it will probably be tighter than mayevoras  squeeze in, so I was thinking about some sort of push in system on sliding plates maybe on an electric winch 🤣🤷‍♂️
Guess the first thing to do is get the car first though. 
Thanks again Matt

Stick a ramp on one side in front of your garage and you can drive it in on two wheels, problem solved. 

One thing to bear in mind is the Evorais a bigger car but can come with powerfold wing mirrors. If you are pushing it in on a regular basis then manufacturing some guide rails for the wheels (like in car washes) and a bump stop to prevent you pushing it into the end wall should be considered. No need to use the handbrake but use chocks for the wheels to stop it wandering. :)

Edit: If your drive is on a slope that might be an issue.

Edited by mg4lotus
On 08/07/2020 at 19:54, Matt said:

Thanks for all the replies folks. I’m very jealous of some of your garages.
I guess I was just trying to ease my mind incase I do have to keep it outside,  as and when I get it  of course.
my Elise was tightish which gives me hope if I go exige route. If I go evora route it will probably be tighter than mayevoras  squeeze in, so I was thinking about some sort of push in system on sliding plates maybe on an electric winch 🤣🤷‍♂️
Guess the first thing to do is get the car first though. 
Thanks again Matt

If you go the route of a winch to pull the car in, don’t forget you’ll need something to pull it out again! Not sure how you’d do that.🤔

Raises the question on why were the garages designed so tight in the first place.  (When you have a free standing structure and not a part of an old house). Were they originally for horses? 😧

• Gold FFM

@comem47 - the garages were probably designed and built in the 1960's and 1970's and back then the average UK car (unlike the US cars of the same age) were tiny. Some example of sizes below:

image.jpeg.451823138d6102fa92b790247cb59026.jpeg

The first car made on Merseyside | National Museums Liverpool

@LotusLeftLotusRight - again not bad planning, the garages were built for the car sizes of the time.

Also, the elephant in the room is that land in the UK is not in abundance as we are a very small, densely populated, paradise island surrounded by Pirates.

In comparison, the US is what, 40 times more landmass for only 5 times more people so space/land is generally not a factor

UK petrol has always been hugely expensive compared to US petrol - so we had small cars with small engines, and the US had big cars with big engines.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I did make sure when we bought our house in 2007 that the Esprit would fit. House was built 1938 with a garage, and is much larger all round than most houses built today, larger rooms, larger garden and larger garage. Although when I put the Esprit back on the road in 2012, it was a bit of a worrying time until it managed to enter - with both wing mirrors out. I do have to turn left and squeeze the front tyre up to the wall so that I can get out - on full lock, it touches the wall before the bodywork does. I can then open the door into a carpeted wall and squeeze out.

Bit different to where it lived the rest of the time in my ownership - I commandeered my dad's garage from 1987-1994, my brother had pinched the other one with his MGA rebuild (which he got back on the road in 1983, then was abandoned and never moved under it's own steam again). When my parents moved to Norfolk, they built a bespoke double garage for my Esprit and my brothers MGA.

My current Excel lives on the drive, as did the one I had in the 1990s.

On 07/07/2020 at 18:26, 62dave said:

Jealous of some of these big garages! Managed to shoehorn mine in yesterday for the first time. Was very difficult getting out!

How thin are you?

I was expecting to see a toilet in there. It’s small enough. :hrhr:

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Sadly I’m not thin at all! To get it in I had to reverse in so it was all perfectly lined up then drive out and push it back in!
I’ve since ordered a shed so all the crap on the right hand side can be stored elsewhere

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

She lives inside a single car garage of course!

I've never understood why anyone would park a valuable car outside long term. I've always thought that if you can't bother to protect it, you shouldn't own it. 

I used to live in an expensive bit central London until recently, and would see Bentleys, Rolls, Ferrari, Astons and other new rare and VERY expensive cars that just lived outside on the street. Door dings, scrapes, bird crap, snow, ice on them all the time. Treating their cars like a decade old Mondeo. 

I moved out to the edge of London just so I could afford to rent a flat with a garage so I could get my little Elise. I would never have left her out on the road overnight. 

IMG_3409.jpg

• Like 1

I'm glad everyone doesn't think like that! Can you imagine, all the good car companies would go out of business and we would be driving around in Ford and VW products.

Loads of nice cars on the road around here. I wouldn't put a Zonda outside but wouldn't think twice about a 911 or a Vantage etc.

Also depends on what you mean by valuable. Emotionally? Then you shouldn't park a nice Ford Ka outside maybe. Financially? Then it's a sliding scale and any Lotus (outside an Evija) is pocket money to someone and they wouldn't think twice.

I go back to my point, it's your car, enjoy it as you see fit. It's not going to melt outside (unless it's an old Lancia!), might just need a little extra TLC.

• Like 2

Have to say that I'm always amazed by this. Here in France, at least 95 % (probably more) of such cars are kept in garages. It's really something going along with owning such cars to protect them and keep them away from the bad weather and 'rude' people. It's just totally culturally related I guess because as I see here it's pretty common in the UK to park it on the driveway and it is totally fine. 

You guys will always blow me away : You made/make the best and most thrilling cars, often with no roof or not very water proof in a country which is not dry as a desert and drive the hell out of it all year long.

I Love that!!! Very jealous not being born in a country with such a mindset :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 07/07/2020 at 09:26, 62dave said:

I can now park in the garage AND get out of the car! Result 😎

E1535084-BB07-4B59-817E-2ADF815B19B5.jpeg

Edited by 62dave
  • Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Evora's do look very good in the white/black scheme. Very nice

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!