free hit
counters
Newcomer and future 410/430 owner with a few questions. - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mondie

Newcomer and future 410/430 owner with a few questions.

As a car nut I have been fortunate to own all kinds of performance cars over my 30 years on the road. Growing up in Australia and living there until we moved to the UK in 2012 meant I always owned Australian muscle cars, Evos etc. The most hardcore of the lot was a Giocattolo Group B, based on an Alfa Romeo Sprint it ran a mid mounted 400hp V8 in a body that weighed around 1100kg (which sounds familiar for Exige owners). What a crazy fun car that was!

The move to the UK opened up a whole new world of affordable cars that were prohibitive in Oz – M5’s, Porsche, Maserati, imported Japanese cars etc but now that the kids are grown and compromises are no longer needed, it is time for a hardcore fun car. Until very recently I was keen on a 911TT, R8 V10 etc. but as I learned more about these cars and imagined ownership, I started to lose interest. They are complex and expensive to maintain and may prove to be a disappointment after owning nimble Evos for the past 15 years. So that leads to Lotus, a brand I have always had a distant respect for but never looked at closely because while I value small & lightweight, the cars never had the hp to excite me. Then I found out about the existence of the Exige V6 and I knew at that moment where my future lay. So here I am, a welded on future Exige owner.

I have done a heap of reading on the forum but there are a couple of questions I couldn’t find answers for:

-  What is the ground clearance of the front lip? Our driveway has a bit of a hump at the entrance, its ok in our FK8 Type R but if anyone could point me to the measurement for lip clearance and front overhang for the 410 & 30 that would be great

-  Is the TI exhaust worth £5.5k? Its not worth it for a 10kg saving but does it sound that much different/better? My man maths needs some help

My plan is to buy early next year when the economy has settled a bit (hopefully) and its clearer where the market is headed. My ideal car is a 430 Cup but realistically I am probably heading towards a 410 due to cost/availability and clearance issues. The new anniversary edition looks appealing with the included extras. It seems like Lotus has done current 410 owners no favours here basically discounting the 410 by about £6k with these inclusions, and makes the premium on a 430 even harder to swallow. I will watch with interest when the first anniversary cars hit the roads later this year and may even consider buying a new one.

For now, I will lurk on the forum and live through others 🙂

Cheers,

Simon (mondie)

Edited by mondie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks Martrack, they are more similar than I thought, the Ti is perhaps a little higher pitched but there is nothing in that clip thats makes the Ti a standout must have.

I drove a Cup 430 yesterday and it's outrageously quick and looks $1m. Take one for a drive before you discount it, they really are weapons grade! That said, many have taken 350's up the power curve with Komotec so there are proven upgrade paths which will leave a decent chunk of change and also, to be fair, having driven the Sport 410 they are not slow cars either and the mechanical grip of both is quite something to experience! 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I am not one to get carried away modifying cars Bibs so would prefer to keep the car standard. I am certainly not counting out the 430 and if the right car comes along, I would be all over it. From trawling threads it seems like there was a glut of them on the market 6/9 months ago but there is little around presently. Lotus stopping dealers from registering them as demonstrators is also sure to limit supply and the opportunity for people to demo before purchase.

I am fortunate to have Lotus North Wales on my doorstep and as it happens they are also a Honda dealer and service our Type R. I have found them excellent and wondered if there are any members on the forum who use them for their Lotus servicing?

Edited by mondie

15 minutes ago, Bibs said:

I drove a Cup 430 yesterday and it's outrageously quick and looks $1m. Take one for a drive before you discount it, they really are weapons grade! That said, many have taken 350's up the power curve with Komotec so there are proven upgrade paths which will leave a decent chunk of change and also, to be fair, having driven the Sport 410 they are not slow cars either and the mechanical grip of both is quite something to experience! 

sorry about the quote

who was mad enough to lend you their cup 430

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

What colour is that @Bibs?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Vivid Green I believe.

• Love 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

In carbon too :thumbup:

Evora NA

Thought you had stolen mine for a minute! Yes Vivid Green.

Subject of 410 v 430 has been debated in detail previously I believe. If you can stretch to the Cup 430

The one development on the 430 is the rear winglets, not seen those before. Might have to look into that 

DED4534F-DCBB-4CAF-8F63-C8D1C2C291AB.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the links. The spiltter is said to have 125mm but with the ribber lip, only 88mm of clearance. I just measured the Type R and its 165mm but more like 140mm as there is a step a few inches back from the leading edge. The important measurement is the front overhang which I expect is quite bit less for the Exige which will make a big difference. I need to observe the Mrs driving the Honda up the driveway to gauge just how much clearance there is but my issue is, until I actually drive into our house in a 430/410 I won't actually know if it will clear the driveway entrance.🤔

Edited by mondie

It may Neal and we did that at a previous house because of a car with a low lip.

What do you do if you buy a Lotus and cant get it up your driveway forward or backwards. That thought bothers me.🥺

Edited by mondie

How far are you from a Lotus dealer? I’m pretty sure they’d happy to let you test for real, if there’s a new car order in it👍

Oakmere would be the closest so about 75 miles. I plan on dropping into Lotus North Wales and ask if they get involved in sales and can offer any advice.

• Like 1

Only moved in March so that could be a hrd sell to the other half 🙂

Nothing compares to forward planning...  :shock: :rofl:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Hard to gauge with any accuracy, but yy driveway doesn't look any more inclined than yours. Its the entrance that concerns me most.

I have spent the past week trawling threads on TLF and YouTube. The intial excitement of an Exige was tempered as I learned more about the car and how uncompormising it may become as a second fun car and weekend getaway car with the mrs. That lead to taking a second look at the Evora and then discovering the GT430. That is one of the most exciting looking cars I have seen for a very long time and must be stunning in real life.

There is an excellent set of videos on YouTube by DrPittenstein with some interesting comparisons of his GT430 to the Cup 430 and a few other comparable cars. He makes a good case for the GT430 offering the best of both worlds against the Cup 430 which has got me thinking what I really want from my dream car. When the opportunity arise I need to see and experience both.

Thanks to DrPittenstein if you are on the TLF, your videos are very informative and I admire your driving skills 😁

Cheers