free hit
counters
Aerial replacement/repair - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

The aerial on the 1984 Esprit Turbo is not going up and down when the stereo is turned on. The motor is running but the aerial will not extend. You can pull it up and down quite freely by hand.

My guess is that the plastic cog which is driven by the worm drive is shot.

Having read up on the subject it seems to be a bit of a mamoth task to get the aerial out of the car, but quite doable with patience. I have read a great thread on repair of the aerial which will be the first option, but if I'm right and the plastic cog is shot I guess I'm going to have to replace.

The original part now seems to be unobtainable so a replacement will have to be found. I have found this:

https://www.retrocarstuff.com/shop/aerials/electric-telescopic-antenna/retro-manufacturing-auta2050

or this:

https://www.retrocarstuff.com/shop/aerials/electric-telescopic-antenna/retro-manufacturing-pa03

Can anyone tell me from the dimensions on the drawings for each of these aerials whether either is likely to fit?

Or has anyone else been successful with anything else?

Great shame, as when the aerial is held up the radio reception is excellent.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nigel I believe it’s a lot easier if it is on the passenger side, you can have a guess what side mine is 😳

Even on the right (passenger) side of a US car, it's really tight in there. Time is well spent shopping for the most compact quality unit you can find.

My '85 had an external relay behind the glovebox to run the aerial, the replacement might not need it.

IMO the stumpy PA-03 one looks to have a great chance of fitting in there as its a good few inches shorter than the Hirchmann in the other link. Key measurements are the under hang from the head, and the size of the motor/reel  unit. Also it's good that the cylinder that I think contains the relays are on the top of the reel rather than on the side or underneath. From memory it  looks rather similar to the one I had in mine .

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

You can take it apart and fix it if th motor is still working. I think that there was a repair guide either on here or LEW.

I'm sure you can get one to fit from places like Hong Kong or China - eBay is a good place to look.

Finally got the bloody thing out after 2 hours of fighting it this morning. It turned out to be a plastic aftermarket affair, unbranded that had a snapped plastic tail, hence not working. The wiring was a proper bodge as well. 

racked down a replacement fairly locally. It was the same length as the one that came out so was looking good. Another 2 hours of fighting it this afternoon and the bugger will not go in. It's about 10mm fatter than the one it replaced and will just not drop far enough down into the well to get the aerial through the hole in the wing. 

Defeated...

I think it might just be easier to fit a manual one. I never listen to the radio anyway - the engine sounds too good.

I've just turned mine off with the switch under the dash.

13 hours ago, NigelM said:

Defeated...

I think it might just be easier to fit a manual one. I never listen to the radio anyway - the engine sounds too good.

It can be done with a quality aftermarket unit ,   Unfortunately you can not expect it to just slot in ... You need to do a bit of customising to the new aerial unit to achieve the fit required for the tight space , along with some minor fettling within the aperture itself..  With a bit of time and patients it is achievable producing a superb quality result that looks just like the original ..    Unfortunately it can take quite a bit more than a couple of hours, even with the door removed..     It all comes down to how original you want it to be ... I had no choice, The customer requested it to be done, and as close to original as possible so a solution had to be found ...     So at least you know it is achievable if you persist with it ..   

• Like 1

I managed to get an Elpico one to fit and work but the wiring box on it had to be removed and resited to allow the fit.

In the end, I deleted the aerial and fitted an above-the-headlining dab ribbon that works very well.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Thanks slewthy. I think long term you probably have the best solution. 

10 hours ago, slewthy said:

In the end, I deleted the aerial and fitted an above-the-headlining dab ribbon that works very well.

Got a link to that aerial (or something similar)? Whups I found it, must be a British name, LOL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAB-DAB-FM-DIPOLE-RIBBON-AERIAL-ANTENNA-FOR-DIGITAL-RADIO-BROADCASTS-/260741951110

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA