free hit
counters
Interior lights - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

On the inside of the car there is an interior light on the aft bulkhead that has 3 positions. Centre position seems to be permanently off. Up seems to be permanently on. Down unfortunately is also permanently off but I guess should be turned on an off by the door switches.

The door lights - red ones on the inside back of the door below the latch, come on for 20 seconds when you put the bulb in and then turn off, never to come on again. Take the bulb out and reinsert and you get another 20 seconds of light and thats it.

All three light up at some point so there is power and earth, my guess is that there is something amiss with the dimmer timer relay thingy.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Sorry, this one and the thread just started on side lights and indicators are both on an '84 Esprit Turbo.

Thanks for the help.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorted...almost. CarBuff, I found your post on the door switches last night and decided to give it a go.  Had the switches out, which was remarkably easy for a Lotus, at a couple of minutes

Thank you Chris. Be good to meet up with a few other enthusiastic masochists.

Funny....my lights fade after 10 seconds. Maybe mine's in a hurry to get rid of me...  

• Gold FFM

I think that you are correct with the interior light although I cannot remember exactly which position is which setting. It sounds right though.

The door lights should, I think be permanently on. However, I am a complete numpty with these things and put up with them if they do not affect the way the car drives!

The interior light comes on and then fades once the door is closed.

So the interior light is not coming on and fading when the door closes, but the door lights come on when you insert the bulb and fade after 20 seconds.

Has anyone had to change the mystical interior light dimmer unit because it wasn't working? If so what were the symptoms?

You may want to refresh your door switches. I have attached a writeup that I created many years ago.  The repair is still working! (been 14 years, sometimes I impress myself!)

I mention a seat belt buzzer switch, were UK cars fitted with those?

Door switch repair.pdf

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Sorted...almost.

CarBuff, I found your post on the door switches last night and decided to give it a go. 

Had the switches out, which was remarkably easy for a Lotus, at a couple of minutes a side. Put the meter across them and proved them to be not working.

Followed your instructions on taking them apart. The burn mark was so small on each post that I had trouble believing that was the problem, but cleaned them up, put them back together again and they both worked.

The only change I made was to bolt them back together as I had 3mm bolts handy (small drill out required) but no self tappers. Wasn't sure about self tapping into a 40 year old of brittle plastic anyway.

The interior light and passenger door lights now come on when doors open and dim correctly after 20 seconds when closed.

The only problem I have left is that the drivers door light is not working. I know the door switch is working as it correctly drives the interior light. There is either a problem in the door with negative feed from the switch or a failure in the positive feed to the light. Not sure now I'm going to trace those back to find out where the problem lies.

But 2 out of 3 is a result, so I'm celebrating.

Thanks for the help. NM

• Like 2
4 hours ago, CarBuff said:

I mention a seat belt buzzer switch, were UK cars fitted with those?

My 82 MY doesn't buzz

@NigelM

Good going :thumbsup:

Just noticed you are in Essex, so I've added you to our monthly PM for meetings.

1 hour ago, Big Vern said:

Funny....my lights fade after 10 seconds. Maybe mine's in a hurry to get rid of me...

Possibly. :shuriken:

But a more likely variable could be the resistance 'measured' by the Interior Light Module in the 'frunk'.

Our module started to get weird a couple years ago, it wouldn't turn off the door lights when the PASSENGER door was opened.

About that time we installed LED door lamps and guess what?  the lights dim as when the car was new. I DID notice however, that turning off the incandescent overhead light resulted in the door lights staying on very dimly. (Never would have noticed it if I hadn't walked into the garage in the dark, one night.)  The dim LEDs never drained the car's battery that I ever noticed.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I finally worked out the wiring diagram in the workshop manual, and there's not much that can go wrong. I know the door switch is good as it's now turning off the interior light. The wire then goes to the door light and then to the cigar lighter in the door (also not working).

Removed the door card and found all connected correctly.

It then goes from the cigar lighter to "RH DHC" and then to the fuse box.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what a DHC is please.

Got it...Door Harness Connector.

Now I've just got to find it!

4 hours ago, neilread said:

Nigel hi if you ever fancy a catch up, i have an 86 Esprit Turbo in Sandon, chelmsford

What a great plan. Would love to. Let me know where and when suits, I'm pretty free most of the time.

Most (but not all) of those abbreviations such as DHC (Door Harness Connector) and CBHC (Coil Box Harness Connector) are in the Electrical section of the Service Notes. (Section MB, MC, MG etc as the years wore on)

In my '88-'92 'Notes, the abbreviation and wire colour-code explanations are on page MG-27.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA