free hit
counters
Airbag cover popped up - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My car has been sitting in the sun and I have noticed the airbag cover on the passenger side dash has lifted up quite a bit! I have tried pushing it back down but it won't budge.

Anyone else had this? Is there a simple fix? 

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Admit it, you never have a passenger in there anyway. So take off the cover. Take out the airbag. Line it and use it as a "cool box" for some tins of coke on a long drive!  Happy to help 

Not if you are full of it already. 🤭 (sorry, I couldn't help myself 😊)

I can feel the extras clocking up already

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yes. No. 

The parts are cheap (it’s only a few plastic clips) but the whole dash has to come out to fit them. Upwards of £300 in labour if you don’t want to do it yourself. 

(TADTS, so there will be plenty of previous threads about it). 

• Gold FFM

Admit it, you never have a passenger in there anyway. So take off the cover. Take out the airbag. Line it and use it as a "cool box" for some tins of coke on a long drive!  :)

Happy to help :animier::animier::animier:

• Haha 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Oh FFS. Thats expensive and its not an option to not fix.....you are talking about someone who had the whole front of the car resprayed because of a couple of stone chips! OCD will just play up awfully if I don't do it!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I did mine a couple of years back, its great fun.

Seriously, I also used a guide on one of the other sites (I think it was Lotus Talk but certainly a USA site) which details how all the trim is removed.

You can leave the steering wheel in place as long as you are careful.  Make sure you disconnect the battery as the passenger airbag module has to come out. 

Neil. Did you really just suggest I do some @Sparky kind of thing and actually get my hands dirty?

How very dare you sir! Why, I should remove my gauntlet and slap you with it! Throw down a challenge damn you sir! My honour is besmirched and I shall have my seconds contact you! I will have satisfaction sir! 

You callin' me dirty?

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

I can feel the extras clocking up already

• Haha 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

4 hours ago, Kimbers said:

Neil. Did you really just suggest I do some @Sparky kind of thing and actually get my hands dirty?

How very dare you sir! Why, I should remove my gauntlet and slap you with it! Throw down a challenge damn you sir! My honour is besmirched and I shall have my seconds contact you! I will have satisfaction sir! 

I did indeed.  Please forgive me!

If I can do it though, anyone can, and your hands will stay pretty clean on this one :harhar:

Neil, Kimbers struggles with the technicality of opening the door. Anything beyond filling up is beyond his abilities. A disappointment I know :lol:

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Lotus told me that you need more than new clips, you need a new cover as the warp is not reversible in a controlled manner.

I bough a covercraft sunshade to help protect the interior from sun damage like this and splitting leather etc

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bibs said:

Neil, Kimbers struggles with the technicality of opening the door. Anything beyond filling up is beyond his abilities. A disappointment I know :lol:

Filling what up now?

• Gold FFM

I always cover my Evora dash when leaving the car in the sun. And other cars too. I use a full cover if the car is outside at home and that is more important in strong sun that rain. Lovely sunshine today, I put the Covercraft full cover over Evora before I left home in another steed. 

Justin

I can see what they mean - I re-used mine, its not perfect but its a lot better and acceptable.

I also now have a sunscreen for the inside of the window as I don't want to be doing it again anytime soon.

• Gold FFM

Many an Eclat, Elite and early Esprit were damaged inside due to strong sun on the dash fabric. US warranty claims in the 70s were, I am told, painful for Lotus. Modern car interior fabrics are a lot better but ideally best avoid the problem by using protection.

My Austin 1300GT (ADO16, now sold) had a perfect interior until the sun one day was so strong, the plastic melted on the top of the dash, popping the factory moulded speaker grille up beyond repair. Annoying and easily avoided. 

Justin 

................I'm meant to fill something up @Bibs

• Gold FFM
25 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

................I'm meant to fill something up @Bibs

Not if you are full of it already. 🤭

(sorry, I couldn't help myself 😊)

• Haha 2

Parts aren't cheap.  You will need a new cover which is about £330 itself.  Add a few hundred for labour as well.

Worst thing is that it will warp again the next summer.  My replacement cover warped on day 1.  It was replaced again and that has warped too.

Edited by Registered

Strattons gave me a quote early last year Tony - I can send it to you.....

Dave.