free hit
counters
Esprit paint code confusion - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit paint code confusion

• Gold FFM

I'm doing some remedial work to a previous owner's repair on the front bumper of my Esprit and I need to order a rattle can of paint to finish the job off, but when I look up the paint code on my VIN sticker (B20), I'm getting the colour back as Azure blue, which the car most definitely isn't¬†ūü§®

Is it possible my VIN sticker has a mistake on it? There's no evidence my car has ever been any colour other than Norfolk Mustard.

Is B20 definitely Azure blue and having searched online is B05 the correct code for Norfolk Mustard for my car - I seem to have found a few codes for Norfolk Mustard dotted about various sources online and I like not to add to the various other shades of yellow already on the car ūü§£

20180613_175114.thumb.jpg.dbb0aac10344868e78fa57fdd36bce34.jpg

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I looked at the paint code info, and I read B20 as Azure Blue. I reckon your car is Norfolk Mustard B05, though. It was a common colour for Esprits, and possibly the only yellow apart from mica, but TBC.

Of course you could ask 50 Shades of Yellow, @temple

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

Lookslike somebody filled the gun with the wrong colour, or perhaps ran out of blue that day. 

I'd guess that you're right, the VIN sticker has an error, probably an error when transcribing the build info to the system that produced it.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

On a semi related point does anyone know if Norfolk Mustard should be a basecoat with lacquer or not so I know what I need to request when I get the rattle can made up for me. Given the number of different spray jobs this car has had I'm not sure what is original paint on it and what isn't.

I remember that Norfolk Mustard has different make-ups during the life of the car (kind of like all the British Racing Greens). I know that N-M on V8s was a 3-stage Pearl paint that was difficult to match.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

@tomcattom your Norfolk mustard is a solid paint. Solid colour - not base coat and lacquer. I can have a look at my chassis sticker tomorrow - but B20 is defo azure blue - I can remember ordering paint for my last one

Only here once

• Gold FFM
19 hours ago, andydclements said:

Lookslike somebody filled the gun with the wrong colour, or perhaps ran out of blue that day.

I hope that wasn't the case because that would suggest the PDI guy, dealer and owner were all either colour blind or didn't notice it was the wrong colour ūüôĄ

12 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

@tomcattom your Norfolk mustard is a solid paint. Solid colour - not base coat and lacquer. I can have a look at my chassis sticker tomorrow - but B20 is defo azure blue - I can remember ordering paint for my last one

My paint place is saying B05 is Norfolk Mustard so sounds like a safe bet based on my own findings and the thoughts here. To be honest given how bad the existing paint is on the car, adding another shade of yellow to the mix isn't going to be too big of a deal at this stage ūü§£ The whole thing really needs a repaint.

On 22/07/2020 at 11:27, tomcattom said:

My paint place is saying B05 is Norfolk Mustard so sounds like a safe bet based on my own findings and the thoughts here. To be honest given how bad the existing paint is on the car, adding another shade of yellow to the mix isn't going to be too big of a deal at this stage ūü§£ The whole thing really needs a repaint.

The paint code error is just that , it does happen.  As for the colour shading on you Esprit , its a lottery..    The situation is already apparent by the many shades you see on NM repairs .   Most yellow's and red's are made up of several pigments .  the ratio's of each can vary to provide comparative shade . Unfortunately you can use the same pigment mixing code in two different product suppliers and get completely different shades..  Trying to tint such a wide number of pigments is a painters nightmare , even when you get it correct on the stick , it will dry two shades darker..   Trial and error on a paint out card is the only way , down side is this can take a long time , sometime days .. Even then, when put in a filter light situation it won't match .    As for solid or clear over base,  That will depend what the factory did ..  However  for any repair clear over base is the best solution . This will allow you to blend out the repainted section over a wider area disguising any small shade errors .   To do this you will need to use pure un-tinted clear coat , otherwise you will get a filter effect changing the shade again..    As for using rattle cans , Good luck with that ..    I would love to say there is an easy solution to get the results you want by the methods you suggest , but their just isn't..   You may be able to disguise the section repaired to look better , but i fear you may need to contract a professional to get the best results..   This will be expensive, so as long as you realise a DIY repair is just that , with best guess colour match , your expectations should not exceed your result..             Using the original paint supplier the factory used for your Esprit is a good start.   Hope this helps and it all works out to your satisfaction ..  

• Gold FFM

Thanks for the advice. To be honest I'm only going for a cover up again. There's no point going for perfection on it at the moment, the bumper is fubar and I'm just trying to fix a badly done previous crack repair that opened up again when I removed the bumper. So long as its a close approximation to yellow I doubt my amatuer job will be any worse than anything done before me. I'll share my efforts in my project thread when I've had a go.

Long term the plan is to repaint the whole car because the paint on it is frankly rubbish but I want to get the oily bits sorted first before I tackle the cosmetics. This bit of bodywork is being done more out of necessity than anything, normally I'd leave this kind of things to the pros.

• Like 1