free hit
counters
Need shims for adjusting end-float on manual steering rack - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Need shims for adjusting end-float on manual steering rack

I'm in the process of rebuilding my steering rack using the Esprit rebuild kit from Lotus Marques (I'm told the early Esprit shares the manual rack with the Elite). 

It appears that my rack is a "frankenstein rack" in that many of the dimensions are slightly out of spec with the kit. I've already had to have the end bushing remanufactured locally, now I'm running into more problems with the pinion gear...

My current challenge is that the replacement pinion bearings ride on sleeves that are a bit longer than the ones that came out. This makes the bearing spacer extend out of the housing further than it did with the original bearings.

The original setup does expect shims in this location. The shims provide a surface on which the end-plate mounts. The number of shims determine the preload on the bearings - too few shims and the load is too high (shaft won't turn). Too many shims and the shaft will float (slide in/out).

I need more shims.  I don't know where to find them.  I'm told that I can't make them without a laser cutter because they need to be perfectly flat.

Anyone know where to find these shims/gaskets? (Bonus points for a parts source in the US)

IMG_0779.jpg

Edited by BrianK

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kiley Clinton ltd in Birmingham Uk should be able to help. Website is steering-racks.co.uk there were several other cars sold in the US with the same rack including the magnificent Plymouth Crick

I also ended up making my own shims Brian - couldn't seem to find them anywhere. Pete

Posted Images

Kiley Clinton ltd in Birmingham Uk should be able to help. Website is steering-racks.co.uk

there were several other cars sold in the US with the same rack including the magnificent Plymouth Cricket....  but that’s not going to be much use

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

For anyone who gets to this thread from a search, I ended up making new shims.  I drew the shim in Adobe Illustrator (because that's what I have access to) then gave the drawings to machine shop.  I was going to use an online service for laser cutting until I found a friend who happens to own a CNC mill & did the work for free.