free hit
counters
Horn grounding issue on +2... - Classic Elan - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Horn grounding issue on +2...

Steve in Jax

Baffled by this one. Everything about the horn circuit checks and test functions up to the horn button itself.

Horn button and associated plunger all pass bench tests. However a ground from the steering column or steering shaft is missing.

If I attach a ground cable to the steering shaft above the universal, everything works fine. The steering rack itself has a working ground. But, the rubber bushings in the universal joint appear to electrically isolate the shaft.

It does not appear in the manual that any kind of jumper was intended to bridge this. Yet the horn did work in the past. Have no idea what has changed.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

Agree with @ICW

Earth across UJ.

I also have another earth between the column bracket to the bulkhead that goes to the chassis bolt behind the dashboard. I think I put that one in as you can't have enough good earth's on an Elan !