free hit
counters
Komo-tec EX460 or SSC charge cooled TVS1900? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Komo-tec EX460 or SSC charge cooled TVS1900?

It seems these two update Kit will be the best you can get if you want to keep your engine & gearbox untouch.

Let's talk about Pros & Cons about these two kits.

Both kits will give you the same level of HP: Komo 455 hp/480Nm  vs  SSC 479hp/468Nm 

Both at the similar price range?     Komo EX460 11000€  vs SSC 9320€ 

Both have new air intake and radiator works with chargecooler to keep the engine cool and happy, But Komo are more like a whole package with new manifold and sport cat, and SSC more like a new package with TVS1900 but keep the factory manifold & cat.

Reliability: Seems lots of guys fitting with Komo EX460 here and running perfectly without an issue.  Not seeing anybody here fitting with charge cooled TVS1900 but like Komotec, SSC have the same good reputation. 

Added weight: We are Lotus we want to keep it as light as possible. I don't have the number but it seems that SSC kit is heavier than Komo. And maybe both kits will left up the center of gravity of the car by all the liquid with intercooler. Komo's intercooler is sitting between the engine and charger and SSC's intercooler is sitting next to the chargercooler close to the rear so maybe SSC kit will have lower center of gravity better for your trail braking? Hope anyone can answer this.

Pros for SSC: bigger super charger will offer you better operating efficiency window for sure and more useable torque.

More power potential if you want 500HP+ and internal forge & New sequential gearbox. But not my case, I'm good with 400HP on wheel. 

Less expensive than Komo?

Cons for SSC: More added weight?  Is that gonna be OK for the stock manifold and cat handle almost 480HP?  

Pros for Komo: Seems more like a whole system and no need to change or add anything. Engine will breathe better? 

Tested by many people here without any problem.

Lighter than SSC and more OEM look than SSC?

Cons for Komo: How can you say no to a bigger charger with lower price?

At least: I neither live in Europe nor Australia, so need to consider the difficulty of the installation.

KOMOTEC EX460.jpg

komotec460.jpg

charge-cooled-tvs1900-supercharger-kit-lotus-exige-v6(6).jpg

SSC charge-cooled-tvs1900 kit.jpg

charge-cooled-tvs1900-supercharger-kit-lotus-exige-v6.jpg

Edited by Leo Exige

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just wanted to give the OP another option. If you haven't read my project thread, my 380 Sport was fitted with the original, non-chargecooled TVS1900 kit from SSC by the previous owner. I have since b

Just my .02: get the TVS1900 for obvious reasons, ditch the OEM manifolds and get a sport cat.  Price will be equal to EX460, but with more potential and less stress on the SC.  Best of both worlds.

The best option is probably a combination of both. Personally I would speak to komotec directly and see if they can help with a hybrid solution.

Posted Images

Just my .02: get the TVS1900 for obvious reasons, ditch the OEM manifolds and get a sport cat.  Price will be equal to EX460, but with more potential and less stress on the SC.  Best of both worlds.

• Like 1

The best option is probably a combination of both. Personally I would speak to komotec directly and see if they can help with a hybrid solution.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Crouchy said:

Hybrid solution will be the Komo EX500 with TVS1900 and internal forged gonna cost you €24,272.27....

5 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

Get the new manifolds and sport cat from 2bular?  Sounds like a great plan, but need to talk to SSC to see if the ECU setup is gonna suit for the upgrade.

Maybe it just me worry too much that the OEM manifolds & cat can handle that kind of power. Hope someone can answer me this.

Edited by Leo Exige

The OEM ceramic (600 cpi) cats are the weak link and on track duty they probably will break up.

No need to worry, good aftermarket headers and sport cat WILL NOT require a retune (other than the one that comes with the kit) and you'll benefit for a freer breathing engine, no exploding cats and for sure a lot less heat in the engine bay.  Easy decision IMO 😉😉

Still waiting for reply from Komotec & SSC, I live in Asia so no matter which kit I choose, I need to consider the difficulty of the installation, after service and shipping, tax, etc..... 

So far I have no bias, I assume each kit will meet my expectation and have their own PROS & CONS.  So maybe will end up my decision by final total cost and customer service.

4 hours ago, Leo Exige said:

Still waiting for reply from Komotec & SSC, I live in Asia so no matter which kit I choose, I need to consider the difficulty of the installation, after service and shipping, tax, etc..... 

Also ask SSC re their tuned header exhaust system.

See 'More details' at the base of this page:

https://www.simplysportscars.com/shop/exhaust/10557-exhaust-options-exige-380-410-430-evora-400-410-430

Best to email the development Engineer directly:

[email protected]

exhaust-options-exige-380-410-430-evora-400-410-430.png

Edited by IanA
More info
  • Like 1

Here's my story.

I have an Ex460, but initially was talking to both KT and SSC. I gave up with SSC in the end as communications were abysmal and went KT with no regrets. Also fitted with 2bular exhaust. If you ask @GFWilliams who probably has more miles on this KT upgrade than anyone else I know I'm pretty sure he will say the same as me (KT is fine). The only downside is starting from cold as its a bit flat and lumpy until you have covered around a mile or so.

cheers

Posted (edited)

Exactly!!!  I'm sure both kits are awesome and the communications & service will make up my decision.

Been received three E-mails from komotec and keep waiting for the further info and 0 respond from SSC.....yet.

Edited by Bibs
  • Gold FFM

I think you have your answer there Leo.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

1 hour ago, IanA said:

Also ask SSC re their tuned header exhaust system.

See 'More details' at the base of this page:

https://www.simplysportscars.com/shop/exhaust/10557-exhaust-options-exige-380-410-430-evora-400-410-430

Best to email the development Engineer directly:

[email protected]

exhaust-options-exige-380-410-430-evora-400-410-430.png

Yup I know this, and I wish I have unlimited budget

53 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I think you have your answer there Leo.

All down to communications & service, right?

On 25/07/2020 at 23:33, Kristof Thys said:

The OEM ceramic (600 cpi) cats are the weak link and on track duty they probably will break up.

No need to worry, good aftermarket headers and sport cat WILL NOT require a retune (other than the one that comes with the kit) and you'll benefit for a freer breathing engine, no exploding cats and for sure a lot less heat in the engine bay.  Easy decision IMO 😉😉

I sent an E-mail to Harley SSC ask about how well the OEM 600 cpi cats under 480HP output. 

• Like 1

I have what ultimately I hope to be the best of all worlds. I have CC TVS1900 kit fitted by Komotec with Komotec ancillaries, larger throttle body, larger injectors, full 2bular exhaust and ECU Master Black ecu mapped by Komotec with a road map and a track map and adjustable traction control. Currently running c.490hp and 530NM in track mode but could produce much more with forged internals. About to put in a beefed up clutch. Weak link will become gearbox at some point but so far seems ok - touch wood.

The performance is absolutely epic. Low speed and cold mapping still rough though. Hoping to get that sorted fairly soon.

On 25/07/2020 at 09:57, Kristof Thys said:

That’s basically what I have done - and then a bit more besides... 🤣

1 hour ago, Mattmahope said:

Low speed and cold mapping still rough though. Hoping to get that sorted fairly soon

Interesting, mine is fine at low speeds no issues, but needs to do a mile to get some heat into the engine. Might go back to KT one day to see if its possible to map out. let me know how you get on.

cheers

I think it is probably much easier if you are just tweaking the standard map to update for a known set of new hardware components. That is to my mind one of the key advantages of the KT kit.

It’s a different matter creating bespoke dual maps for a bespoke package of components like I have.

This is what my installation looks like. I love the sight of the TVS1900 / big throttle body / KT500 carbon intake combo!

39AE0839-DAC6-4CA5-818E-49E682019D7A.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

Interesting, mine is fine at low speeds no issues, but needs to do a mile to get some heat into the engine. Might go back to KT one day to see if its possible to map out. let me know how you get on.

cheers

Hi Mark, How the EX460 works with DPM? Or you just turn every thing off?

26 minutes ago, Mattmahope said:

I think it is probably much easier if you are just tweaking the standard map to update for a known set of new hardware components. That is to my mind one of the key advantages of the KT kit.

It’s a different matter creating bespoke dual maps for a bespoke package of components like I have.

This is what my installation looks like. I love the sight of the TVS1900 / big throttle body / KT500 carbon intake combo!

39AE0839-DAC6-4CA5-818E-49E682019D7A.jpeg

I'm so jealous Matthew, She just so fascinating... 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Leo Exige said:

Hi Mark, How the EX460 works with DPM? Or you just turn every thing off?

All settings work as they should, although touring mode is a bit keen to cut power.  Sport and race are perfect :)

Thank you @Leo Exige, it’s been a long process but I am getting close to my dream spec now! Just need to get the mapping properly sorted but I haven’t had much time recently to work with Komotec on that

51 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

All settings work as they should, although touring mode is a bit keen to cut power.  Sport and race are perfect :)

My problem with komotec now is that I need to send the charger nose to Komo for modify. shipping back and forth from my place to Germany gonna easily take 1 month, could be 2 if you unlucky. And my Exige gonna be a zombie car sitting in the workshop for that much of time.

10 minutes ago, Leo Exige said:

My problem with komotec now is that I need to send the charger nose to Komo for modify. shipping back and forth from my place to Germany gonna easily take 1 month, could be 2 if you unlucky. And my Exige gonna be a zombie car sitting in the workshop for that much of time.

Buy a spare nose and get it modified in advance.

Your profile says AT - automatic transmission?  If so, you won't get all the power anyway.

Dave

Edited by Hangar 111
  • Like 1
  • Gold FFM
11 minutes ago, Leo Exige said:

Given the cost of shipping and timings would this be an option?

https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product/lotus-oem-supercharger-nose-only-evora-s-exige-v6-used/

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

47 minutes ago, Mattmahope said:

Thank you @Leo Exige, it’s been a long process but I am getting close to my dream spec now! Just need to get the mapping properly sorted but I haven’t had much time recently to work with Komotec on that

530NM Did you upgrade your gearbox?