free hit
counters
Boot keeps opening itself - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Every now and again, when I go over a bump, the boot lid opens itself. Out for a run this morning and it happened twice.

I have tried adjusting the bars bolted to the boot lid back and forth, but they don't appear to be the issue. The mechanism itself is actually releasing itself.

When you turn the boot mechanism on the outside of the car it only takes about 5 degrees of turn for it to release and I think a good bump is springing it. If I could adjust it so that a 30 degree turn was required it might solve the problem, but I can't see any adjustment mechanism.

The other answer I know is to avoid bumps and pot holes, but I was hoping someone on the forum has had the problem and cured it before.

Thanks, NigelM

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks all.  Have taken it apart and found that the spring, part 60 on @Lotusfab parts diagram is rusted through and shot to bits. The result is the catch can easily self open if rattled about a

Brett, looking at the photo of the rear of your car it  has the later style cut out on the body under the rear of the tailgate, the same as on mine. The release mechanism does not push the tailgate up

Posted Images

@Lotusfab has recently had the same issue on his Turbo Esprit, I can't remember how he fixed it. 

I had this when I first purchased my car as I wasn't pressing down firmly on both sides of the boot when closing. Once I learnt to do this, all OK ever since. I also make sure that I lock the boot every time.

Begin with the basics: Are the latches lubricated (light oil) and fully closing? (Always a good idea to put some graphite lubricant on both ends of the cables, as well.) Inspect each end for damaged strands that may be preventing the cable from fully relaxing.

Also, verify that the hatch's Striker Pins are not worn from rubbing on the body latches. Parts List 10.11A #80.  You can rotate these a little...

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Hi Nigel, assuming you have the  same set up as me sounds as if the adjustment of the catch is way off. I could have lost the tailgate as I was doing 50 mph, I looked in the rear view and couldn’t see the louvres, luckily it had opened and stayed attached!
8384E530-D3E2-40D7-AF7D-B1601838BE10.thumb.png.865fd91230d5aa705e6462c26c0a2e47.png

you adjust the catch taking part 68 out of the lock arm and rotating it. Part 68 is threaded at the end and screws in and out of part 69 to adjust the catch. I tried taking a picture, but it's too dark in there. Hope this helps.

You can also take the nut out 64 - then twist part 69 on the rod.this might be easier than the lock end. thats how I adjusted mine.

Thanks all. 

Have taken it apart and found that the spring, part 60 on @Lotusfab parts diagram is rusted through and shot to bits. The result is the catch can easily self open if rattled about a bit. I have ordered a new uprated spring that's a tad shorter than the original which should keep plenty of pressure on the catch and prevent opening.

However, note to self, if you lock the boot as @ChrisJ suggests nothing can move anyway, so by far the safest option.

• Like 2

Also does anyone know why my boot doesnt lift enough when i pull the release lever. Luckily i have long arms and am able to pull the lever and very slightly lift the boot lid at the same. I want it to 'pop up'. Its an 86 S3 and i dont think it had a spring attached like i think the previous models did?

Brett, looking at the photo of the rear of your car it  has the later style cut out on the body under the rear of the tailgate, the same as on mine. The release mechanism does not push the tailgate up as much as it does on the earlier S3s which do not have the cut out. On mine when I pull the release handle both retaining latches unclip and I can just walk round to the rear of the car, put my hand in the recess and open the tailgate. No need for me to hang on to the release lever while trying to lift the lid. If when your pull the release lever the weight of your tailgate is enough to close one of both of the retaining latches I'd suggest that one or both of the compression springs (#43 in the parts diagram ) are broken.

scan001.jpg

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Thanks folks, Colin, thats exactly what happens, when i pull the lever, unless i lift it up the boot while doing it, the weight of the boot itself does actually lock it again. the springs are there but are a bit 'loose', I wonder if replacements are available, ill have a look at SJ's...

On 25/07/2020 at 13:04, NigelM said:

Every now and again, when I go over a bump, the boot lid opens itself. Out for a run this morning and it happened twice.

I have tried adjusting the bars bolted to the boot lid back and forth, but they don't appear to be the issue. The mechanism itself is actually releasing itself.

When you turn the boot mechanism on the outside of the car it only takes about 5 degrees of turn for it to release and I think a good bump is springing it. If I could adjust it so that a 30 degree turn was required it might solve the problem, but I can't see any adjustment mechanism.

The other answer I know is to avoid bumps and pot holes, but I was hoping someone on the forum has had the problem and cured it before.

Thanks, NigelM

Hi

I had much the same problem on my 84 turbo. I got it adjusted to the stage where it would not pop open over a bump but I did have to slam it quite hard to shut it. Anyway I finally bit the bullet and bought a new rod with the catches (the bar that runs across the inside of the boot) and it is much better now. The catches on my old rod were worn to the stage where they did not latch properly any more, the new one is quite a different profile and holds onto the boot much better.

cheers

C43

Out again today and despite locking the boot it did open once. Better as it was once in 50 miles, but still not good. So that's not the answer.

I'm hoping the new spring will cure it. If not plan B is to extend the ledge on the notch the catch engages with on part 63. That should do it.

Does it go "Boinnnnnng" when you turn the latch? If not, I'd have thought it isn't springing correctly, as mine as always Boinnnnnngs.

Even better - here's my tailgate (Damn, won't embed OneDrive videos)

Your's is far more boingy than mine is. I'm hoping the new springs will restore the boingyness required. 

Thanks @ChrisJ