free hit
counters
1981 Lotus Eclat Riviera - up for sale - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1981 Lotus Eclat Riviera - up for sale

The time has come to place my 1981 Lotus Eclat S2.2 Riviera up for sale.  I purchased it in 2008 and shipped it home to the US as a RORO, which means it ran fine.  Then I proceeded to buy (2) Excels, (2) Esprits & (3) TVR's over the next 10 years.  As such, I lost interest in the Riviera along the way and it sat (unloved) in storage.  In the 6 months (Covid), I have completely gone through it and brought it back to an excellent example of a now fairly rare Lotus.  It is ready to be sold.

As you can see from the pics, it is Black/Gold.  The Lotus archives letter state it was built Dec 1981 and 1 of 69 mfrd for UK market. All numbers/colors match the build data and it has 85K miles on the clock.  The 912 was rebuilt in the UK at 62K miles, it starts, runs and drives well, all electrics work, lots of new bits, leather very good.  Some respray work from years past, have full history of all (6) keepers, all the way back to the first owner (a Lotus Manager), no history of body/chassis damage.  The negative bits are thin black paint on panel edges, routine crazing after 39 years and the seats are from a later model Excel.

So, here in the US, I have previously sold Lotus/TVR cars on eBay and that is what I will likely do with this one.  Any thoughts from the group on an asking/reserve price?  I am at a loss, as many here (even some club members) will view it as just another wedge and the RHD does not attract most buyers.

Anyway, hoping to get some feedback in the next few days before a post the ad.

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The time has come to place my 1981 Lotus Eclat S2.2 Riviera up for sale.  I purchased it in 2008 and shipped it home to the US as a RORO, which means it ran fine.  Then I proceeded to buy (2) Excels,

Don,  The former UK registration plate was WNG45X.  The Excel seats were what the car came with when I bought it.  Not sure if I still have the original steering wheel, but I will look before pos

Just an update on the listing of my Lotus Eclat Riviera.  As it turns out, after their comprehensive review, BAT approved my Lotus  to be sold on their site at my requested reserve.  However, they inf

Posted Images

Looks good Jerry but as you say selling a RHD in the US may be tough going, in the UK it would fetch pretty good money even with the wrong seats. For someone in the UK to bring it back will be best part of £3k with container, Roll on Roll off is cheaper but you add risk so bit of a lottery and not the way I would personally go, saying that with the paintwork getting thin you could risk scratches and use the money you save to offset the paintwork costs.

Good luck with the sale, I will keep an eye out for it as could be interested.

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM

One of my favourite Lotus, certainly to look at. 

Sorry, no idea on value in USA as a RHD, tricky sale I would have thought. Aus may be a good market for it? And UK of course. I would have thought max value in UK would be £5K but others would know more than me.

Justin

This is absolutely unique. I guess, it will be the only Riviera in the US and most likely on your side of the pont. 

which Vin does it have? Do you have a picture of the VIN plate? Is it a former WNG registration plate?

not sure about the seats and steering wheel. Are the stock ones with the car? 

And the last question: could you please measure the canvas for the targa roof and post some detail pictures of it ? Thank you

Don, 

The former UK registration plate was WNG45X.  The Excel seats were what the car came with when I bought it.  Not sure if I still have the original steering wheel, but I will look before posting an ad on eBay this weekend.

Your question about the lift-out roof panel confused me.  There is no canvas, just a 1-piece fiberglass panel with vinyl exterior and upholstered inside.  See the pics I attached.

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

• Like 2

Oh, sorry. Thought there was the cover for the roof as well. My mistake. Mines is missing as well. 

So with this reg it is the only one in America. Nice 👍 

thank you for the additional pictures. You talked about the archives from Lotus. Do you have the Certificate from Lotus as well? Would you mind posting it as well?

Hi Jerry,

There were some very well maintained Eclats on bringatrailer that were listed between 10k and 11.5k.

I would argue that the Galvanized chassis, 2.2 upgrades, and Riviera trim offset the RHD nature.

If you can enumerate how much works and how easy it would be to title/register in another State by engaging with a potential buyer in the comments section of BAT, you might do better than eBay. 

HTH,
David

David:

I liked your idea to post it on Bring a Trailer.  So, I submitted the Lotus for their review today.  We will see what happens.

Thanks for your suggestion and research.

According to BaT's web site you can bid from anywhere as long as you have a valid credit card.

Link to BaT answer about bidding from outside US

• Thanks 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Just an update on the listing of my Lotus Eclat Riviera.  As it turns out, after their comprehensive review, BAT approved my Lotus  to be sold on their site at my requested reserve.  However, they informed me they are so busy that their lead-time to draft an ad for my review was said to be "more than 3 weeks".  As such, I have shifted gears and will post the Lotus on eBay on Sunday.

My apologies for the confusion, but I wanted to bring the forum up to date.  Thanks to everyone who responded to my posting.  I am hoping this car is purchased by another Lotus enthusiast who appreciates how few of these Rivieras are still on the road.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 04/08/2020 at 22:58, USAndretti42 said:

According to BaT's web site you can bid from anywhere as long as you have a valid credit card.

Link to BaT answer about bidding from outside US

Is the car still available 

On 15/11/2020 at 22:10, js43lotus said:

Yes, the 81 Eclat Riviera did sell to a man in New Jersey.  I do not know if he is keeping it in the US or exporting.

Ok just saw reply. It used to be my car hence the interest 😊

• Like 1