free hit
counters
New Lotus Owner - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I might add my thoughts to this ive owned a n\a Stevens , used a s4s For a weekend and now own a V8.  In my opinion it all comes down to what you want the car for.  The main reason I went

Yes it might be in pieces but I’d have more money to rebuild it again and not be reliant on other people 😀

You didn’t scare me off 😂😂😂😂   should have listened 

Posted Images

Prior to my own purchase, I asked myself the question ‘could you afford to rebuild it if the engine blew up?’

A 4-pot, yes, and indeed I’ve just fully rebuilt mine. Total cost for the engine was £3.5K. A V8, no. I’d just sell the car where it stood.

After driving them, and if I had to choose all over again, it would be an S4, then GT3.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

The engine cost is a tricky one as if I had done the build myself I would have saved £8k in labour so that brings it down dramatically.  And then if I didn’t use aftermarket and updated parts it would have been even less.  And then if I had only replaced the 2 pistons and rods and crank I actually needed and didn’t have ARP head studs etc etc I reckon I could have done it for £6-7k 

If you'd have built it yourself, it might be in pieces already.  🤣

A fair amount of your cost could have been limited if you had only one party involved from the beginning.  It's not a very good case study on how much a typical rebuild might cost.

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Thanks for all the reply’s, really good to hear opinions From lotus owners. I’m so stuck between a v8, SE and s4s it’s a really hard decision ,I think I’m going more  For a s4s but there is only 1 for sale in the uk that I can find and it’s up for £50k! What would you be looking for for your v8 lotusfella? Looks awesome! I was so close to making a deal on a SE high wing, really nice car but No history for the first 13 years! Worried me. 

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, mike_sekinger said:

If you'd have built it yourself, it might be in pieces already.  🤣

A fair amount of your cost could have been limited if you had only one party involved from the beginning.  It's not a very good case study on how much a typical rebuild might cost.

Yes it might be in pieces but I’d have more money to rebuild it again and not be reliant on other people 😀

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

£47k for an S4S is prohibitively expensive, yes they are the pinnacle of the S4 development and on the rare side, but £47k is optimistic to say the least, esp when there are 2 x V8, £35k and £38k, the latter with an engine rebuild.

Bauke has a nice yellow S4S in the NL, no connection to me and it’s RHD, maybe worth getting in touch?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Be patient - they are out there. I’ve just been offered another and I’ll go and take a look next week.

Only here once

U.K. S4s are comparatively rare, last time I looked there was about 60 in total, and there are more GT3’s. Despite the higher number of S4 cars having been built, they don’t seem to come up for sale as often.

In my view, £50K for an S4s is just flying a kite. It would have had to be a total body-off rebuild, plus engine and gearbox rebuilds for that kind of money. Ultimately, the car will only be worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, and right now I would say an S4s would be between £30k £40k, depending on condition and work done. That’s just a guess though, as there’s not much to go on right now.

You have to be patient when buying, the rareness means they don’t come up for sale that often, and just remember all that glitters is not necessarily gold!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
On 16/08/2020 at 21:03, Bannerfd3 said:

I was so close to making a deal on a SE high wing, really nice car but No history for the first 13 years! Worried me. 

The first 13 years are about 20 years ago. What's more important is what the last owner did to and with the car. If he (or she) drove it regularly he probably solved all issues as well and it should be a reliable car, regardless of what happend in its youth. 😉

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.