free hit
counters
Hello everyone ! - Introductions - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
alexktz

Hello everyone !

Hi everyone ! I'm Alex, 27, and currently planning to get a Lotus !

I'm a huge Lotus fan and i'm planning to get one since i sold my Megane RS CUP. To make it short, what makes me love Lotuses is the philosophy : a light car, communicative, involving, not overpowered compared to recent sports cars with ridiculous amounts of power that you'll never be able to exploit unless you track it 24/7 (and which lack the involvement and the feeling of a sports car).

I have a few questions to ask regarding elises which i'll post in the appropriate forums.

Looking forward to discuss with you guys !

Thanks !

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome, Alex. You’ve come to the right place. 

Good luck with your hunt. 

• Like 1

Welcome Alex, when your hunting don’t discount the Classic range of Lotus, Elans and Europas, and try an early 7’s / S3 Xflow Caterham, they will help you understand and appreciate the whole Marque as it stands to date.

• Like 1

Welcome Alexandre. Renault RS are not dis-similar to Lotus; feel over power being the priority. Though CUP suspension is not Lotus-like on a Renault; the one drawback of my Twingo 133, it just cannot cope with bumpy B-roads like a Lotus. 

Elise is the perfect place to start. Plenty around, cheap to maintain and run; arguably the greatest Lotus road car ever made. S1's are the purist choice but getting pricey, S2 fussier looking but very popular and hood a bit easier, then S3 onwards - most have more power as supply of lesser powered engines/legislation restricted what Lotus could supply.

Personally, I would start with a S1 Elise if budget allows. You are unlikely to lose any money on depreciation. 118bhp is enough. 

Best of luck, be patient and do your research before buying. So many good Elise available (though less LHD), it would be a shame to buy the wrong one. You must do a check on the insurance history of the car (claims) as Elise do get crashed (road and track) and even if repaired expertly, such a history effects the value.

Justin

• Like 1

Hello Justin, thanks for the advice ! An S1 really attracts me but they are getting really pricey in France atm which therefore led me to consider an S3 aswell (220 Sport / 250 Cup) but are these two that much different ? I could literally get an S3 220 Sport for the price of an S1 111S 😅. I did find a few S1 though, guess i need to take my time more to find the good one.

I was also considering an exige s2 during sometime (the NA version because i'm quite scared by all this gearbox problems with the SC versions) but apparently there's been issues with the cams and overheating (multiple issues reported in a french forum). 

I hesitate a bit, i think that i should try to get a test drive in both and see which one i like the most 😀

About the RS chassis, the CUP chassis are excellent on track and on well paved roads but as soon as it gets bumpy then it becomes another story ! My megane was literally glued to the road and with the LSD and 275bhp it was overkill to me, got bored of it because it was too easy and lacking feel (was also an heavy car).

Alexandre. If you are tracking the car a lot, S1 may not be best as 118bhp or 143bhp is great for the road but I imagine a bit tame for track. Corners always fun though.

I have never owned an Exige and others on here will have more sound advise than me on the best option for track use depending on budget. 

Renault: Twingo appeals as it is light, with fab turn-in. Especially great when tuned to 160. Megane is a bit heavy, as is Clio RS200, probably acceptable on the road but a penalty on track.

Good luck with your search.

Justin

• Like 1

Slightly related, when I had my S1 Elise I also owned an RS Clio 200 with Cup chassis. I used to track/sprint the Elise and had a track day booked at Le Mans Bugatti circuit. The Elise was misbehaving, so I thought I’d take the Clio instead (they had a good reputation on track). It was a rather disappointing experience after regularly using the Elise on track.

I can understand your disappointment, jumping from a raw lotus with no electronics, light chassis to a Clio 3 RS is like going to another dimension 😀 Recent RS are really frustrating, glad to see i'm not the only one to feel that way ! They're just too easy to drive fast and stuff, really boring