free hit
counters
Looking to get an elise but i hesitate between an S1 111S and an S3 220 Sport / 250 Cup - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Looking to get an elise but i hesitate between an S1 111S and an S3 220 Sport / 250 Cup

Hello everyone ! I'm new on this forum, i just introduced myself in the introductions forum :) 

I'm currently planning to get a lotus in a few months and i'm hesitating between an S1 111S and the S3 220 Sport / 250 Cup.

In fact, I'm missing the 90s era cars and i've been looking at S1 111S but they are pretty rare in France and a bit pricy considering how old they are, even tho i understand how appreciated this model is which starts to lead me towards an S3 220 Sport or a Cup 250. I even thought of an S2 Exige at first but the weak gearbox and other issues turned me off a bit. I don't really like when a car is too easy to drive, i'd rather have a characterial car (not too snappy neither, quite forgiving but not too easy) which you get to know and get used to in order to extract the best from it. But the more i look at the S3 the more it attracts me.

So, if i were to get an S3, how different are the 220 Sport/Cup 250 in terms of behavior ? I expect the 250 cup to be on rails since it has aero and wider front tires, but i need feedback from an owner.

Thanks !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Alex, I've owned a few Elise variants over the years so here's my take on it. The ones I have owned are: S2 Sports Tourer (2002) 120hp - Bought new and extensively modified over the years

Hi Alex,

I've owned a few Elise variants over the years so here's my take on it. The ones I have owned are:

S2 Sports Tourer (2002) 120hp - Bought new and extensively modified over the years to include a Honda Vtec engine conversion, Ohlins 2 way dampers plus a host of other things!

S1 135 - (1998) - Bought mainly to use as a Track Day/Sprint car.

S2 Sport 190 (2003) - K-Series VHPD.

S3 Cup 250.

Also along the way I've also had an S1 Exige and 2-11 which both have the Elise chassis. The 2-11 was without doubt my favourite of them all, but completely impractical as a road car!

All the Elise variants from first to last share a recognisable DNA, you know it's an Elise and the finest driving car available at any price! Over the years they have become heavier and more powerful (and a lot quicker!), but the feel remains the same. My first early S2 probably weighed 725kg and my final Cup 250 950kg, but from the drivers seat, they felt more or less the same, but with the later cars you have the added benefits of ABS and traction control if you need or want them!

The quality also improved markedly over the years, my 2018 Cup felt solid and rattle free, the materials used look and feel high quality (for an Elise!). A complete contrast to my S1 and early S2.

I don't know what the Elise market is like in France, but in the UK if you buy an S3 220 Sport or Cup 250, you'll be buying a car that is still depreciating, while an S1 of any description has almost reached classic status now and will be an appreciating asset, albeit somewhat offset by the likely continuous on-going maintenance needs, given that even the newest will be 20 years old, so careful research would be needed to see what has already been refurbished or replaced. An early Elise may appear to be a simple sports car, but unless you're capable of doing the work yourself, the refurbishing costs can rapidly mount up!

220 Sport vs Cup 250? In terms of straight line speed there will be almost no difference, so which best suits your needs depends on usage. If you're heavily into your track days then definitely a Cup 250, but as a road car (with occasional track) then the 220 Sport probably fits better. Down a twisty B-road, they're both so capable that you'll need to be travelling insanely quickly to exploit any theoretical advantage that the Cup car may have. However, there's also the looks to consider. The aggressive aero on the Cup looks fantastic, and there's kudos in knowing you have the ultimate Elise!

Happy hunting!

Neal.

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

5 hours ago, Neal H said:

Hi Alex,

I've owned a few Elise variants over the years so here's my take on it. The ones I have owned are:

S2 Sports Tourer (2002) 120hp - Bought new and extensively modified over the years to include a Honda Vtec engine conversion, Ohlins 2 way dampers plus a host of other things!

S1 135 - (1998) - Bought mainly to use as a Track Day/Sprint car.

S2 Sport 190 (2003) - K-Series VHPD.

S3 Cup 250.

Also along the way I've also had an S1 Exige and 2-11 which both have the Elise chassis. The 2-11 was without doubt my favourite of them all, but completely impractical as a road car!

All the Elise variants from first to last share a recognisable DNA, you know it's an Elise and the finest driving car available at any price! Over the years they have become heavier and more powerful (and a lot quicker!), but the feel remains the same. My first early S2 probably weighed 725kg and my final Cup 250 950kg, but from the drivers seat, they felt more or less the same, but with the later cars you have the added benefits of ABS and traction control if you need or want them!

The quality also improved markedly over the years, my 2018 Cup felt solid and rattle free, the materials used look and feel high quality (for an Elise!). A complete contrast to my S1 and early S2.

I don't know what the Elise market is like in France, but in the UK if you buy an S3 220 Sport or Cup 250, you'll be buying a car that is still depreciating, while an S1 of any description has almost reached classic status now and will be an appreciating asset, albeit somewhat offset by the likely continuous on-going maintenance needs, given that even the newest will be 20 years old, so careful research would be needed to see what has already been refurbished or replaced. An early Elise may appear to be a simple sports car, but unless you're capable of doing the work yourself, the refurbishing costs can rapidly mount up!

220 Sport vs Cup 250? In terms of straight line speed there will be almost no difference, so which best suits your needs depends on usage. If you're heavily into your track days then definitely a Cup 250, but as a road car (with occasional track) then the 220 Sport probably fits better. Down a twisty B-road, they're both so capable that you'll need to be travelling insanely quickly to exploit any theoretical advantage that the Cup car may have. However, there's also the looks to consider. The aggressive aero on the Cup looks fantastic, and there's kudos in knowing you have the ultimate Elise!

Happy hunting!

Neal.

Hi Neal, thanks for your really detailed reply :D

The Elise market in France is quite a mess tbh, there's nothing and everything at the same time which results in quite a challenge trying to find a good one ! Considering how bad the french market is, i'll probably go for an S3 :) Need to start saving € asap :D 

47 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Thanks for the link Bibs ! :D

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone ! Long time no see :)

I haven't written anything on the forums since last year since i have been busy with a few things...

Anyway, i'm posting today because i found an Elise S1, a true gem, Ruby red, MMC, rhd converted to lhd with rotax wheels, hardtop, full stock excepted reinforced brake lines, exhaust silencer (janspeed) and an intake with a 52MM aluminium TB and a reinforced head gasket. The garage has the full history since the first UK owner and even the original COC (was quite surprised to see that, they have the MOTs, all the french mots aswell, was really amazed !) which is really valuable to me (and to anyone i guess :D ).

I drove to the garage today and went for a drive and i've been surprised about quite a few things and i've been questioning myself since then ^^ At first, i was pleasantly surprised by how well the car accelerates despite its low power figure ! I know it's because it's very light but still, reaching 100-110mph is way easier than expected ! The brakes are hard but it doesn't matter, it's very quick to get used to them and it brakes really well, it's not as noisy as expected, it's REALLY light, but there's just one thing that tickles me which is the steering feel...

I know that it is unassisted and this is exactly what i was looking for, the only thing is that it felt incredibly light and i couldn't feel that much of road contact through the steering. I'm suspecting the semi slick tires that were on the car (with slightly low pressures) but it was way less communicative as i was expecting even though it was direct and natural. It left me quite disappointed since i've be been looking for an elise mainly because of the feedback they provide. The garage told me (two friends which are lotus fans and are also racing in lotus cup with 2 s2 exiges) that it was because the car needed to be driven at its limits or atleast quite quick in order for the steering to come alive.

What do you think about this ? Is it/can it be the semi slick tires ? Or is it just its normal behavior ?

Edited by alexktz

Steering feedback should be good at any speed but can be affected by geometry set-up and tyre choice and pressure. I would find another Elise to drive to compare, especially an S3. Neil.