free hit
counters
Lack of geeky tech info - aero - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lack of geeky tech info - aero

Hi,

So I've got some questions and can't seem to find information on my interests on the Evora and wondered if anyone had any info or knew a good resource. I gain enjoyment from understanding how everything is working on the car as I drive so always try to mine as much info as possible.

I'd love more info on the aero design and theory of the Evora, especially as it has quite a few aero details even on the S1, they've obviously put the effort in!

The slanted radiators in the nose, what effect does the heated (fairly turbulent I would think) air being funneled over the car have on the airflow?

There is a scoop on the floor under the engine, does that feed anything? Is it just cooling? Does that air go through to the defuser?

Are there any diagrams of the airflow?

As far as I can tell, the driver side intake is for cooling, the passenger side is the intake? The snorkel is just for heat venting? It's it specifically venting from somewhere? It seems to go to a box at the rear of the engine.

It's there a figure anywhere on the lift/ downforce of the S1 Evora? (Can only find info on the 400 onwards)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You might find some info here. https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/evora-models-downforce-comparison.476128/#post-6008784 hope that helps.

The snorkel at the rear vents the heat-shield covered area over the front banks exhaust manifold and pre-cat. Passenger side air-scoop indeed feeds the airbox. Driver side air-scoop feeds ai

Sold! You guys are great! BTW my thoughts at the moment on the ever intriguing radiator situation is that it energises the barrier layer as it rises into the windscreen. This should keep the airf

The snorkel at the rear vents the heat-shield covered area over the front banks exhaust manifold and pre-cat.

Passenger side air-scoop indeed feeds the airbox.

Driver side air-scoop feeds air to help cool the front bank exhaust manifold and pre-cat.

The partial width air scoop in the under tray (it's full width in the 400+), is meant to help cool everything else, but obv. wasn't effective enough given the later re-design.

Edited by trcm
  • Like 1

Thanks both, excellent info. The aero numbers are quite impressive given most road cars produce lift and until fairly recently it was pretty rare to get any downforce on any road car. I love the fact that even the S1 NA has aero detail like tight sculpting around the rear wheels to reduce pressure in the arch etc. Would love to see an Evora in a wind tunnel or with some modelling software.

Find yourself a copy of “Lotus Evora: Sublime Supercar”. It will tell you more than you ever want to know about the development of the Evora. 

http://www.coteriepress.com/product/book/lotus-evora-sublime-supercar-le/

https://www.chaters.co.uk/prod/8618/lotus/lotus-evora-sublime-supercar

There is also a DVD/video that was made at the same time. 

Edited to add: here’s a link to the DVD: https://www.dukevideo.com/prd4970/Lotus-Evora-The-Making-of-a-Modern-Icon-DVD

Edited by Bravo73

Sold! You guys are great!

BTW my thoughts at the moment on the ever intriguing radiator situation is that it energises the barrier layer as it rises into the windscreen. This should keep the airflow smoothly attached to the car and reduce drag. Both the heating and the blowing helps and it's a bit like the S-duct on an F1 car.

That's just my theory but it sounds possible.

• Like 1
On 05/08/2020 at 09:53, Bravo73 said:

Find yourself a copy of “Lotus Evora: Sublime Supercar”. It will tell you more than you ever want to know about the development of the Evora. 

Excellent, I did not know this book existed. I just ordered a copy based on your recommendation, hopefully shipping to the USA will work out. Thank you for the pointer!

On 05/08/2020 at 09:53, Bravo73 said:

There is also a DVD/video that was made at the same time. https://www.dukevideo.com/prd4970/Lotus-Evora-The-Making-of-a-Modern-Icon-DVD

I nearly bought this DVD as well, but it appears to only be available for Region 2 (Europe, etc.). Most USA DVD players won't play anything but their native region (Region 1). Stupid copyright nonsense costs them another sale!