free hit
counters
Radiator upgrade - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Has anyone fitted an aluminium 3core rad into an 84 MY turbo Esprit. 
I have a water cooled turbo and since I fitted it I seem to be running a little hotter. 
the water return pipe is tapped into the Header tank and is circulating fine but I think it’s struggling to bring down the temp with the standard rad and fans. Need to know it fits before I go stripping out. 
I don’t want to hack the rad tray about to make it fit. 
Any thoughts ? 
wayne

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the one Sparky fitted to Dan’s car -  

This. The gauges are all over the place on these cars. Even mounting the voltage regulator with the arrow not pointing upwards can change the reading by several degrees.

Some who have fitted Aluminium rads have experience premature failure.  Apparently the mounting situation in an Esprit weakens them.   One owner had two failures in three years.  

Posted Images

What temps are you running at in normal use?

Normal running for me the needle is just covering the 9 of the 90. However in very hot weather (i.e. recently) this will move to just to the right of vertical - even when there is a good air flow through the radiator.

Some who have fitted Aluminium rads have experience premature failure.  Apparently the mounting situation in an Esprit weakens them.

One owner had two failures in three years.

++++++++++

Regards the water cooled turbo, I know of another owner of an '86 HCPI who has run a water cooled turbo for 15 years, no issues with cooling.  (He DID suffer from a loose connection where the water take-off was connected, near the header tank.)

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

9 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

What temps are you running at in normal use?

Normal running for me the needle is just covering the 9 of the 90. However in very hot weather (i.e. recently) this will move to just to the right of vertical - even when there is a good air flow through the radiator.

When moving at 50 mph just about on between the digits on the 90

when in traffic up on the hundred with the fans running continuously. Had to reset the otter switch twice as it popped and had fan fail tell tail. 

not been an issue before. 

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

It's probably the ambient temperature, as my car doesn't like the warm weather, and in traffic temps rise.

I always have the heater on in warm weather (and windows open) - and on full fan to the windscreen when in traffic in anticipation of the temps. 

Gerald advised me to slightly raise the revs (900-1000) when in traffic as it's a long way from the back to the front and the water pump likes the extra omph the revs give it I do this and it does seem to delay the fans coming on.

• Gold FFM

Wayne, 

can’t comment on the rad but @Sparky fitted the PNM fan upgrade to mine, it did need some modification but I would say it is definitely some of the best money I have spent on the car, so much better than the originals. So if you’re going to the trouble might be worth considering 

Dan E 

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

This is the one Sparky fitted to Dan’s car -

71A2C446-0BE5-4613-B165-C08D7713DE97.jpeg

It was curved, in fact, to accommodate the bay windscreen I installed.

Meanwhile, @top-plumber, I'd be surprised if turbo cooling was the only culprit.  Maybe just the tipping point for some other inefficiency?

Edited by Sparky
  • Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

It was curved, in fact, to accommodate the bay windscreen I installed.

Meanwhile, @top-plumber, I'd be surprised if turbo cooling was the only culprit.  Maybe just the tipping point for some other inefficiency?

Agreed. Could be debris or some clogging but no indication of clogging inside. 
do you know the dimensions of the original rads Gaz. 

1 hour ago, Christian43 said:

Lotusbits fitted an aluminium radiator to my rebuild 84 turbo. I have 3 standard cooling fans. Temperature sits around 85 and I very rarely see it get up to 90 even in hot weather / traffic. 

C43

Do you know what one they fitted Christian 

size and core number.

sorry no, it was one of the few parts of the car where I just went with their suggesting. It was a complete rebuild so I lost track a little. I know aluminium but not sure which. Also the car has all new water pipes throughout and the head and internal porting all checked and cleaned out so I am guessing the temperatures I am getting are best case.

Year after year we read tales of concern with high engine temperatures yet I wonder whether there be substance to these. Are there indications other than the gauge readings? 

Sorry mate, don't know original dimensions.  Have you done a good flush in both directions? New stat/sender/switch?  I assume you've had the pump off.  Verify gauge?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

Verify gauge?

This. The gauges are all over the place on these cars. Even mounting the voltage regulator with the arrow not pointing upwards can change the reading by several degrees.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 07/08/2020 at 18:01, Sparky said:

Sorry mate, don't know original dimensions.  Have you done a good flush in both directions? New stat/sender/switch?  I assume you've had the pump off.  Verify gauge?

Thanks for the comments fellas. Gonna jetwash through the fins to try and clean any debris. Not flushed. Original stat. Gauge doesn’t switch the fans so as they run at about 98 on the gauge assume it’s reasonably accurate. 

Just now, top-plumber said:

Thanks for the comments fellas. Gonna jetwash through the fins to try and clean any debris. Not flushed. Original stat. Gauge doesn’t switch the fans so as they run at about 98 on the gauge assume it’s reasonably accurate. 

It’s more that they run continuously in traffic that has me. Need to pull the temp down quicker. 

7 hours ago, top-plumber said:

It’s more that they run continuously in traffic that has me. Need to pull the temp down quicker. 

Anyone considered fitting something like a Craig Davies EWP like the Elise S1 guys do?