free hit
counters
HOT COIL - and misfire when warm - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

HOT COIL - and misfire when warm

Good evening all

Should a coil run HOT??
Can anyone offer me some pointers to my 1978 Elite missing under load when warm?
My car normally runs and drives perfectly but when in hot sunshine the other evening it started to run badly with no power under load. 
I got the car home and let it cool and it seemed to start and run fine again. 
This evening, started ok but once warm I had the misfire and she’s never done this at any other time. 
The car runs electronic ignition with a good red rotor from the Distributor Doctor and it seems to be fuelling ok. 
I’m wondering whether the coil is breaking down - it hasn’t been replaced for years and I’ve never noticed before that it’s getting almost too hot to touch. 
I can grasp the coil but it’s too hot to hold for long - should it run hot??
I’ve never noticed before soncant compare but the fault could lie with the coil breaking down perhaps??
Any advice would be really welcome - its spoilt what should have been a great run out tonight. 
Thanks
Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. New coil.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.