free hit
counters
Is F1 just a @@@@ing circus now? - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Is F1 just a @@@@ing circus now?

• Gold FFM

Just reading the announcement about Racing Point's sanctions and I can't help but think what a great farce F1 is really turning into.  OK, so they have a very similar car to Mercedes (and aren't they all so bloody similar) and are seeing some good strong mid-pack performances. But....

Renault are pissed off as it is showing up just how far the Ennstone (Remember them? ;) ) team have not developed and how crap their car is after all that "noise" and investment....

Williams are not happy because they did not think of copying the Mercedes car first so Claire is now having a bit of a strop and crying into her Sancerre as again it shows just how crap their car is....

McLaren has piped up as the whole furore around, and the performance of, Racing Point is over shadowing their remarkable turnaround and the fact that they now have a car that can compete at the front of the rest and not spend all its time in the garage

And finally, we have those two face bar stewards that is the Fezza F1 team! I mean given their "other worldly" and surprising performance in 2019, that was strongly suggested as being EPO/Steroid enhanced, asking if the penalty is sufficient or not whilst simultaneously still wrangling behind the scenes to keep the findings into their, er performance in 2019, as secret as possible.

Why does this matter? Well for me, it just feels that the F1 teams these days spend more time bitching and moaning and whining and accusing the other teams than they do focusing on providing a superb spectacle and championship that is worthy of F1's heritage.  They seem to be mirroring the behaviour of a bunch of 5 year olds in the playground after the teacher has taken their ball away.

I love F1. I love the engineering. The history and legacy. The speed and drama. But I'm starting to get really tired of listening to this whinging, whining, moaning over paid and over indulged prima donna's that are todays F1 managers and leaders.

And that's before I start on about the organisation.

What am I missing...

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s one of the big appeals of motorsport. In football, if Man City are 3-0 up with 10 minutes left you know they’re going to win. In F1, if a Mercedes leads by 30 seconds with 5 laps left you know

It's boring, because it's so corporate. It used to be full of mavericks and mad arsed team owners, now it's sterile and bland. It used to be about racing, now it's just a money machine ( and has been

Can’t be a circus. No elephants.  Oh wait...........

• Gold FFM

BTCC.

SOET.

Gave up on F1 years ago.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

• Gold FFM

Nope. Not had a drop since last Friday night actually. Been busy with work.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Can’t be a circus. No elephants. 
Oh wait...........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

6 hours ago, C8RKH said:

And finally, we have those two face bar stewards that is the Fezza F1 team! I mean given their "other worldly" and surprising performance in 2019, that was strongly suggested as being EPO/Steroid enhanced, asking if the penalty is sufficient or not whilst simultaneously still wrangling behind the scenes to keep the findings into their, er performance in 2019, as secret as possible.

👏  just luvly, innit? One team more special than the rest . . . .

• Like 1

The only way i'd watch another full F1 race was if they hid land mines in random places on the track. Or perhaps attached rotary cannons to the cars.; that'd get an audience!

Seriously though (partly ;)) the formula is soured and has been for years.

Signature not working...

7 hours ago, mg4lotus said:

Just watch the racing and put a block on all the other shite. Simples.

Think you mean procession .😁

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

16 hours ago, Colin P said:

BTCC.

SOET.

Gave up on F1 years ago.

What’s SOET ?

F1 hasn’t been up to much for years, I still watch but I’m not sure why quite often.

These days I prefer GT racing and MotoGP.

MotoGP is very predictable - Marc Marquez is going to win (unless he has a broken arm).

F1 has been here before not so long ago. The 2018 Haas was a direct copy of the 2017 Ferrari (the fastest car of 2017) - They bought everything they could from Ferrari and designed the car in the Ferrari wind tunnel. They happily admitted that it was a direct copy. The paddock muttered about it but no one protested because it wasn’t terribly successful.

This is all about a bunch of midfield teams being pissed off that someone came up with something better than them, led by Renault - a manufacturer team who have been doing a consistently shit job since they returned to the sport. It’s nothing to do with integrity.

As for Ferrari joining the protest - that almost beggars belief on several levels.

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

So it seems that I'm not alone in my views then. Nice to know.

• Like 2

Astonishing the big players are not where they think they deserve to be. But like in any walks in life if someone lower in the pecking order gets the jump on you it’s all sour grapes  nothing but admiration Racing Point and what a drive from the Hulk. Is Mad Max as good as people think? Well Nico was the better driver today in a inferior car.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
1 hour ago, scotty435 said:

Is Mad Max as good as people think?

I have consistently said he is not. He caused a stir when he joined because he showed no respect with his driving, his manners etc. Now that he is part of the establishment he is no different to the others. A very good driver, yes. As good as the hype? No. I think he will struggle to win multiple championships as there is an exciting new generation of young drivers coming through. All very good. And he will be pushed really hard.

Interesting to hear Jenson Button today saying that he thought Hamilton was not given the full respect he deserves as a driver. It seems if Hamilton wins it's down the car. If anyone else wins, it's because they're a superb driver.  The car helps but it's just a tool. You give a crap tradesman the best tools you'll still probably get a crap job. You give a craftsman poor tools you'll still get a superb outcome. Just my view of course, you all know how I like sharing them lol...

• Like 1

Sometimes it can be processional but I still enjoy watching the masterclass of the better drivers and then you might also get some of the clowns doing cock-ups. Then you can also get the non-racing drama like will the tyres explode and who can get away with it? Was it luck or was it skill?

• Like 1

I reckon Max is a world champ material, and, as per usual, if he was in the right car, then he could prove it. But again, as usual, that won't happen because the Red Bull car is not that brilliant this year and it's down on power.

Hulk did a fantastic job, and proved he's worthy of a seat for next year. Sadly, Papa Stroll will be playing the nepotism card, and thus the chance of him going to RP/Aston Martin is slim indeed.

Anyone signing Vettel on his current performance is mad. He should call it a day.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I agree @Chillidoggy that Max is world champ material. But I don't think he'll dominate the way of a Schumacher, Vettel or Hmilton in recent years.

I sometimes think people forget that F1 is also a "team" sport.  And to win you need to be a team player.  The driver needs to commit to develop the car. Provide in-depth feedback. Get the engineers on side etc.  Something Hamilton (and also Hulkenburg from the feedback yestterday) seem to excel at.  The driver provides the feedback, works with the engineers to create the best package and then, on the track, he needs to prosecute cleanly and consistently. Again, this seems to be where Hamilton excels over Verstappen who still makes too many mistakes on track to win the WDC. He has matured, but he still has some way to go and I'd argue LeClerq is actually better on the team side, more consistent so he will be able to push the driving talent that Max has.

Alonso and Vettel are spent forces. They should quietly exit the F1 driving seat and be proud of what they have achieved. 

6 hours ago, red vtec said:

It's boring, because it's so corporate. It used to be full of mavericks and mad arsed team owners, now it's sterile and bland.

Sadly no room for another EJ anymore.  :(

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Yup. Great strategy from Red Bull, deserves full credit. All Verstappen needed  to do was not crash which he did. So great win.