free hit
counters
Radiator & fan question - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just posted something in introductions.

Need some help with the radiator and fans. The radiator started leaking. I'm looking for an aftermarket replacement with increased cooling.

Any brand/model you'd recommend? Or should I got to a local company and have one build? Recommendations for that?

Doing a new radiator I want to upgrade the fans. Read about the SPAL that seem to be the ones everybody is using. Couldn't find information about the model to get.

Can you point me towards a thread here where someone documented his radiator/fan upgrade? Don't need to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks

Marc

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aluminium is not better regarding thermal conductivity it's just lighter and maybe stronger, but as my rad man told me they are just bullshit...just have your original copper/brass rad recored to 3 co

Hi Marc, You do not need to upgrade the radiator or the fans unless you have upgraded the engine. Mine is standard and I've never had overheating problems even in traffic in 30+ degree heat. Just

In 23 years of ownership I have had the original rebuilt twice. The first time because it had actually fallen apart after 10 years and about 35k miles and the second time it prematurely required a reb

Posted Images

Hi Marc and welcome to the forums. I have an 86 S3 n/a, and i upgraded to a new Aluminium rad with Spal Fans, here is the thread. I know yours in an S2 but there may be something of value in there :)

i have just had my original rad recored and re-tanked locally, adapted 2 Spal fans of 11" diameter to fit nicely into the original plastic shroud. This gives high airflow either without or with fans on as the Spals are the largest that will fit the the shroud. I have also fabricated ducting in aluminum to ensurre that air into the entry cannot bypass either the condenser or the rad. I am very confident that this set-up will handle any conditions including track or traffic in hot climate conditions.

cheers

• Like 1

My fans were blowing all the time when in traffic.

I was just at a local radiator shop. The old/original was already fixed before. Don't want to do that again to the 40+ years old thing.

They can build me a new aluminum radiator a little bit thicker with better cooling capacity for around 750 Euro. Not cheap but in line with other offers I have.

Unfortunately due to my vacation and theirs it will take a while before the car would be on the road again.

In 23 years of ownership I have had the original rebuilt twice. The first time because it had actually fallen apart after 10 years and about 35k miles and the second time it prematurely required a rebuild after a rabbit decided to commit suicide and launched itself through the grille, destroying half the filaments. By that point the rad had been on the car for another 40k miles. At current UK prices that's 4 rebuilds for the price of a new aluminium rad which, rabbits aside, would last me 150k miles and 40 years of motoring.

Pete

• Like 2

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give an update here:

I had a new radiator built here at a local shop. Nice work I think. Price was as estimated.

The radiator sits in rubber thingies (whatchamacallit ) now. Should be better.IMG_0544.thumb.jpg.02087ec796cff553e49822696f469d7c.jpgIMG_0543.thumb.jpg.aa39d677d6e626d6fd48b98964a9dd02.jpgIMG_0546.thumb.jpg.96126be5fd177b2673775e9a41b6eed4.jpg

Fitted easily in the car, all good.

Posted (edited)

IMG_0548.thumb.jpg.9eec63de5394d90aae63b1f2662a7b03.jpgIMG_0547.thumb.jpg.ce1c6b566b85fa1774d8f7b4ce52583d.jpg

Only thing is that according to the gauge I'm running cooler now. By a far bit. 10 - 15 degC.

I'm not sure if my thermostat is working the way it should. I was expecting the same temperature  but more stable and less fans running.

At least the fans are ok and quieter than before.

Cheers

Marc

Edited by Esprit S2 #51
1 hour ago, Esprit S2 #51 said:

Only thing is that according to the gauge I'm running cooler now. By a far bit. 10 - 15 degC.

Sounds like your thermostat could be stuck open, easy enough to change 😀

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

On 12/08/2020 at 20:56, giorgio67 said:

Aluminium is not better regarding thermal conductivity it's just lighter and maybe stronger, but as my rad man told me they are just bullshit...just have your original copper/brass rad recored to 3 core and put 11' Kenlowe fans with a alloy rad cow and you will avoid any problems. 

IMG_20160116_112104.jpg

IMG_20160116_112047.jpg

Unfortunately, I believe Kenlowe went out of business years ago.