free hit
counters
Evora cat failures? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all,

Just reading up on some cat failure issues on the S model (ingesting ceramic particles from the integral catalysers in the factory headers).

Has anyone had this happen on an NA engine?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've seen the above links before regarding cat failures but those are the only places I've seen it mentioned.  I've never seen this issue mentioned on this forum or any other Lotus owners forums.  I d

These stories often emanate from Scotland.  Ah, there you go. 

355, 360, 430, Maserati 4200, Maserati GranSport - I think there was even a Land Rover that had more serious issues with this leading to catastrophic engine failure. I had a hard time visualising how

• Gold FFM

How common is this on any Evora?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Not a fault I have heard about on any Evora. Issues raised regularly are clutch (early cars and usually within 20,000 miles and an unscientific survey suggests still rare), window regulator, headlamps peeling, roof paint bubbling, passenger air bag lifting. 

Justin 

Got to be more myth than reality. The NA and S are running the same compression ratio, valve timing, and exhaust manifold/cats as the Toyota applications of the 2GR-FE, unless exhaust value is open for a very long time after TDC and before intake values open I just don't see much reversal flow of exhaust into the chamber. Now if intake is open the the SC cars will actually have higher inflow pressure making exhaust back flow even less likely.

Ferrari F430's have a similar pre-cat in the manifolds and there have been numerous cases of those disintegrating over time and being ingested causing catastrophic damage.  I cannot say that I've read/heard of this happening to any V6 Lotus, yet.

Sorry, I should clarify, I think the "return to engine" bit might be more theory than practice, but the "cat disintegrating" bit seems to have been talked about on the LotusTalk forum. It's also mentioned by 2bular and Monkey Wrench on their websites (though potentially just marketing spin).

There was a youtuber who showed the outcome of the destroyed cats, apparently due to proximity to hot engine whereas on Toyota applications there is more room for the piping?

Anyway, I suppose my question really is how likely an NA or S cat is to fail, since the de-cat full system fix is quite expensive, but probably preferable to replacing the cats with parts that are likely to disintegrate again...

To the OP: you say yourself in your YT video's comments that you think this car had been tracked (I think a lot, probably).   Given that the car had had the entire transmission replaced (!!!) after track abuse, I think your car has been royally shagged by a previous owner. As you can see from the previous reply, it's not a widely-reported issue.

Never heard of the starter motor going, either; you've been a bit unlucky, I think.

Also, was the 2GF-FE designed to take forced induction? I do get the impression that the extra heat and boost of the supercharged models can cause issues that the NAs are not quite as vulnerable to.

7 hours ago, Bruss said:

Where is there a report of a cat failure causing this engine problem?

These stories often emanate from Scotland. 

7 hours ago, r3nault said:

Ah, there you go. 

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, EGTE said:

To the OP: you say yourself in your YT video's comments that you think this car had been tracked (I think a lot, probably).   Given that the car had had the entire transmission replaced (!!!) after track abuse, I think your car has been royally shagged by a previous owner. As you can see from the previous reply, it's not a widely-reported issue.

Never heard of the starter motor going, either; you've been a bit unlucky, I think.

Also, was the 2GF-FE designed to take forced induction? I do get the impression that the extra heat and boost of the supercharged models can cause issues that the NAs are not quite as vulnerable to.

I assume you realise I am not the person in the YT? Wasn't my car, and I don't have an S...

14 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

These stories often emanate from Scotland. 

Curious about this!!

22 hours ago, KennyN said:

Ferrari F430's have a similar pre-cat in the manifolds and there have been numerous cases of those disintegrating over time and being ingested causing catastrophic damage.  I cannot say that I've read/heard of this happening to any V6 Lotus, yet.

355, 360, 430, Maserati 4200, Maserati GranSport - I think there was even a Land Rover that had more serious issues with this leading to catastrophic engine failure. I had a hard time visualising how you'd get suck back pressure to ingest catalyst remnants too, but when I chatted with the head mechanic at the official Maserati/Ferrari dealer I used back when I had the Mas he said he'd seen a GranSport with this issue with dust from the cat substrate on top of the valves. My Maserati obviously also had this issue with the pre-cats breaking up; however the PO had driven the car like this for years, just turning off the CEL before MOT:s - so I guess failure due to this IS rare. I switched out my cats for new ones for peace of mind, but the only right thing to do is gut the pre-cats and reflash the ECU so it stops searching.

Useless technology that has no place on a weekend toy. It's justified on econoboxes and daily drivers but on small volume vehicles it is absolutely useless. It would be fine if they DIDNT disintegrate, but they DO for some reason...

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

54 minutes ago, r3nault said:

I assume you realise I am not the person in the YT? Wasn't my car, and I don't have an S...

Sorry, I was watching the  guy's YouTube video whilst reading this and got a bit mixed up about authors/comments 🤪

• Haha 1

I've never heard of this issue before. 

Watching that video though I'm going to has at a guess that it was the front manifold cat that gave up the ghost simply based on the aftermarket vent ducting he has fitted to the manifold heatshield. There is a reason the OEM part is routed as it is; to vent heat from the manifold. His literally goes up (blocking rear visibility) then back down again. Even my kids understand the concept of heat management. There are a lot of armchair engineers out there, who think they know better, but basics like this plus abiding by tolerances set by the OEM should be stuck to. 

As for 2bular comments 🙄

Also he mentioned an Oxygen-sensor fault. That can lead to the car running rich....which melts the cats.

I've seen the above links before regarding cat failures but those are the only places I've seen it mentioned.  I've never seen this issue mentioned on this forum or any other Lotus owners forums.  I don't think is an issue at all, just a couple of people who have got unlucky, no part from any manufacturer will be 100% without failure.

• Like 2