free hit
counters
Bearing Wear - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Bearing Wear

GavinT

Need a little help interpreting the wear on these bearing. The engine was ‘refreshed’ approximately 3000 miles ago. Crank ground to .010 under. The journals on the crank appear to be ok.

Could this wear result from oil starvation at the initial start up after the refresh and/or dirt contamination trapped between the surfaces during reassembly?.

E200B772-BAF8-4FE0-A5C6-10C60E6587A6.jpeg

EFD480C0-29EF-4720-B4E4-08F33699DAF0.jpeg

244DEFE8-4A65-457D-B18D-46A69BE4489C.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Interesting,  as I think about it - I have never seen a bearing that was not either a.) Brand new, or b.) removed because of low oil pressure resulting in some kind of damage.  

Is it possible that is what a normal healthy bearing looks like with some miles on it?  Did the motor have low oil pressure?

Our engine's bearings looked MUCH better (smoother) than that with 76,000 miles on them. They had not worn down to copper.

Looking closer, is it possible that @gtookeys 'wear' is just running-in?

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I'll wager that we are seeing the result of particle contamination here, fear it could be the dreaded glass bead treatment carelessly used by uninformed engine builders. Key tip-off is the circumferential grooving and lack of heat related discolouration. Gavin, you are fortunate in having pulled the thing before many miles of running as beads embedded usually score the journals over time. If I'm correct you should tear down completely, thoroughly clean all oil bearing passageways and reassemble with new bearings. The cam carriers must be carefully scraped clean on the journal surfaces in such cases to ensure no particles there.

Any news on the thrust flange front?

I believe this is damage from the dried crumbled sealant that was used to seal the oil pan to the MBP. There was a considerable amount of sludge in the pan that was non metallic and was gritty. When picking at the sealant residue on the flange it breaks away from the flange really easy and crumbles really easy.

Steve, I decided to buy this ‘ recently ‘, miles wise anyway, refreshed engine instead of repairing the original damaged block and crank but unfortunately it appears I have caught a bit of a cold with it. As long as the block, MBP and crank are good I think I will be ok.

67D3E0A5-4390-4E04-81F7-F5DB5D63F83F.jpeg

327448A0-899B-4BC5-91F1-3E06152932A4.jpeg

619A2155-546E-482F-8D3B-0D14709CD3C9.jpeg

MBP came off today and the mains have similar wear to the big ends. Big red flag when removing the oil draw tube....it came out way too easily. Further investigation revealed no olive. Unbelievable. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, gtookey said:

MBP came off today and the mains have similar wear to the big ends. Big red flag when removing the oil draw tube....it came out way too easily. Further investigation revealed no olive. Unbelievable. 

All too typical.