free hit
counters
V8 Turbo Clutch - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 Turbo Clutch

pilk

hi all bean asked to fit a clutch in a esprit 3.5ltr v8 turbo 1998 went to local parts supplier but they dont list them were is the best place to go , which clutch will it have single or double pate and what is the best way to tackle the job engine out or take gearbox out ,i have never done a clutch on a esprit before any advise would be great thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi,

Take out the boot floor and rear cross member to gain access. Jack car up and support it under the chassis, remove rear exhaust box, remove roll pins from driveshafts, remove bolts for the top links (enables hubs to be moved to get driveshafts apart from box) remove gear linkage and clutch slave and probably some other bits. Now suppport the engine from underneath(to stop it dropping) and remove gearbox to chassis mounts. undo the bell housing bolts and slide back the box while wiggling the clutch fork to get it out! Now you can remove the box down and to the offside pull it out from under the car( you need to jack the car about 250mm to do this). If your just replacing the clutch you may get away with just pulling the box back.

I did this by myself took me 2 hrs the first time and 1 hr the second time!

Try AP i think they make the clutch or see lotusespritworld.com

cheers Andy

ps when you put new roll pins back in the shafts have to be aligned correctly the pins wont go in if the shaft is 180 degrees out. Also you might consider putting new driveshaft seals in while yr there

98 should have double clutch

• Gold FFM

rumours say the AP-clutch twinplate is exclusevly produced for lotus. with a 10 year stop on selling it in the free market. I hope that in future days a cheaper equal spare is offered, but in the moment ,i guess there is only the "original" Lotus offer available !?

Andy sayed it right, gearbox out [or just pull bagwards] is the best way to handle it [it also easy do stay and work "in the trunk/lugage compartment area" if the body panel is pulld out... .]. Anyway, to drain your water system makes the axses a lot easyer [you can disconect an pull out all water hoses above he bellhousing]

for the worst case that your clutchplates has sized at the input shaft , lose the 6 mounting screws from the complete clutchmounting trouout the clutch forg hole [ with one hand and this in english named"allen key?" or a socket wrench]

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• Gold FFM

"dealers only" -that what i meant , really bad ....

i suppose you whould have the 1. option : original Lotus Part [manufactured by AP, of course..]

2. option : the other [Ford] spline type, offered by Derrek Bell (UN-1.com)

3. option : use a new flywheel type with different clutch mounting face,

(there are some multi use kits available for Renault spline on the AP-page)

clutch "tuning" is one of the mods i definitly have to do in future time (it's really not funny to drive with a half failed spline if your car cut offer so much more power .... )

Edit: Ok, sorry i've forgotten one important source "Paula&Markus". But your "Spare Friction Plate" Option can also not solve the Problem with this really thiny Renault spline.

Just every spline on a 2.8 Liter / 280NM Delivery Van i have seen is bigger than that thiny "mouse theeths"! :(

Edited by G

Hi Mark,

All V8 should have a twin AP clutch. There used to be some early V8 that used a single disk clutch, but all these cars have been fitted with the later twin AP clutch very soon according to the Lotus records.

The complete V8 twin clutch kit (plate + 2 disks + bearing) actually only is available from your friendly Lotus parts dealer.

However, the original AP friction disks are available seperately. Many V8 clutches are not that broken or worn down and can get serviced easily by removing and cleaning and freeing up everything and of course by fitting new friction disks.

From my exerience, most V8 clutch problems come from eneven worn down friction discs along with a "sliding" problem on the spline (insufficient lubricated and/or corroded).

Remove the whole clutch, clean it and inspect it thoroughly. If the cover/plate is not damaged you are lucky :(

Cheers

Marcus

hi all bean asked to fit a clutch in a esprit 3.5ltr v8 turbo 1998 went to local parts supplier but they dont list them were is the best place to go , which clutch will it have single or double pate and what is the best way to tackle the job engine out or take gearbox out ,i have never done a clutch on a esprit before any advise would be great thanks

Marcus

Hi Dave,

JFJI, the new June 2007 Lotus Euro parts list shows the complete V8 clutch #A082Q0720S at Euro 3,367.44 !

Quite steep ... :(

Cheers

Marcus

Shameless plug again but at least it will save you a shed load of cash. Try PNM on 0151 630 6101, they can do an AP clutch for around
Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

Could be - the factory recall retrofit kit for the early single plate clutch also contained a cast replacement for the original aluminium bellhousing.

Lotus Price as of today 01/08/2007 is

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Gold FFM

workshop manual refers to an modified flywheel ( with different outer step) no coments about belhousing so far... ?!

hi contacted p.u.k they said i need to take the clutch out first it might just need a clean they can supply the fiction plates for 716 euros , they said it might just be rust on the input shaft

• Gold FFM
Hi All,

There is also #A082Q0718F listed in the parts list but without description for Euro 1971,-

It says: A082Q0718F R/B B082Q0718F (17.08.98) 1,971.00

Hi Marcus,

this is the right part number as I rang up Stattons today and that's the number thay gave me. Also it's thepart number at PNM as well.

Dave Walters

Hi All,

There is also #A082Q0718F listed in the parts list but without description for Euro 1971,-

It says: A082Q0718F R/B B082Q0718F (17.08.98) 1,971.00

WOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWHAH Guys wait you are right Ap cltch only available as a dealer supplied Item price is off the hook by anyones standards but you dont need it, get the old clutch assy out as per the instructions given it the pressure plates are in good order you only need to refurbish the friction plates the material is no different on an ap clutch as that available by any reputable clutch plate refurbisher look speek to Kelvedon motors at spalding when I changed my clutch plates it cost

• 2 weeks later...

quote name=HASUsan' date='Aug 1 2007, 01:52 PM' post='114084]

I had a chance to reproduce the Plate, twin disk & bearing if I can find a used one. I spoke to EXEDY (hi-performance maker of clutches), I've been told if I can send a complete used Lotus V8 clutch unit, they will be able to match the unit. There was a guy here, I'm trying to buy his old clutch to be sent to EXEDY but no luck. http://www.exedyusa.com/

This will help us buy an alternate clutch in the future.

Lotus AP clutch don't last and cost arm and legs.

Anyone around who has a complete used unit, I'm willing to buy it.

Raymond

Yellow V8 in HK

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I too am trying to replace the clutch in my V8, it's giving me a headache though!

I have got the bell housing loose and can only move it about 1 inch, I have tried "wiggling" the release fork as suggested earlier in the thread but it seems to be stuck (very) solid against the slave cylinder apperture.

I have had a suggestion that I may need to take the clutch apart in situ, accessing it through the slave cylinder app. which would make it easier to remove the release fork.

Any suggestions?

• Gold FFM

Andrew, are you sure it is only the fork that is stuck !?

As my clutch failed it was seized on the spline, so that i could only move the gearbox around 1inch (same as you mentioned) . It ended in a removing of the complete clutch assembly. Removed every screew with "two fingers" in the hole from slave cylinder/fork ... .

• Gold FFM

some early models are refitted with the new one ( are you the first owner !?)

if you remove the slave cylinder housing an look inside, can you see the cage from the twin-plates assembly?

Or you just measure the pedal settings (i think there is a difference in adjustement, the data is in a post in this part of the forum...)

• Gold FFM

right, as i see now in the workshopbook, you need basically a reshape of the flywheel and an other adjustment... .