free hit
counters
Body , Panel Fit, Flat, Gap, Prep and paint .. - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Body , Panel Fit, Flat, Gap, Prep and paint ..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This pic here may give you a better perspective on getting all the corners in the correct plane ..  Although its only when you do an eye level view that you appreciate the full accuracy ..    A good i

Body ,  panel fit ,flat, gap, prep and paint.     Part 1  Introduction   Before undertaking any restoration, partial or complete, you need to ask all the relevant questions..   The main

Part 2        Generating shape and profile of roof and tailgate.  As the previous pictures show the top of the tailgate profile has sunk significantly and the body line is now inconsistent.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

I quite like the challenge of not falling down the bonnet gap when I wash my S1 and the fact that I can almost get into the car without opening the door using the panel gap at the back of the door :)

The panel gaps, certainly on the early cars, are crazily wild.

• 2 weeks later...

The front left corner of the bonnet on my S1 was raised, it was also a very poor fit. I made a jig to reshape the curve. I then removed the metal strip that is riveted to the bonnet and fixed it again when the bonnet had the best curve. It really improved the fit. Its not perfect, but judging by the SWLM movie clips its a much better fit than when it left the factory. Changing the bonnet curve might help in some cases , but I note you considered it. I take my hat off to you Dave, that car must look superb now!

Heres how bad my S1 was, I had to rework the left pod and recurve the bonnet after it was painted without damaging it!

Heres the left front pod and bonnet fit initially! 1A07381D-70F5-4C02-B9B5-ED02D53E7146.thumb.png.4e42c48907cc3df5295f84c368004bbe.png

33EC5F46-C59C-45D2-843D-E8FFA24A0986.thumb.png.0b5818ed95f1a84c59ccdec03f5349b7.pngAfter a lot of work, not perfect but much much better. 

Freeze the movie when they show the front left of the car and you can see how far the front left bonnet corner sticks up, quite surprising!

2 hours ago, Buddsy said:

Dave is this your car or is this a service you are offering?

buddsy

Hi Buddsy

This is actually a Customers Esprit .   

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If I may take this tutorial back to the very earliest matter of paint removal, a headlamp pod strip sanded this afternoon in question. The gelcoat appears to be of scant thickness and is quickly gone through at edges when sanding by hand, 180 grit. Is it necessary/wise to altogether take off the grey primer layer just above the gelcoat? Enjoying some summer-like weather for as long as it lasts I've gone at sanding of this sort in hope of better understanding how the greater part of the shell must be prepared. Also there seems to be a thin void in the gelcoat running more than halfway across the pod top surface near the front edge, visible after flatting as a meandering grey line of primer. Would it be wise to treat this as a crack, grinding back and re-glassing?  

Cheers

IMG_3132.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

@CHANGES gas out? What does that mean? Looks stunning I clay bared the wifes BMW today then machine polished it still looks nothing like that 👍

9 hours ago, Dan E said:

@CHANGES gas out? What does that mean? Looks stunning I clay bared the wifes BMW today then machine polished it still looks nothing like that 👍

In other words, "off gas".

Interesting. The body shell of mine wasn't polished until 2 years later. Just before I got to the stage when I was applying the decals.

I had to remove some of things temporarily, such as tail lights etc. Came up great.

Looking at these on the "big computer" screen, the level of finish is absolutely first class.

• Like 1