free hit
counters
Gear Lever Rubber Gaiter Replacement - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Gear Lever Rubber Gaiter Replacement

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What gaiter have you bought? I used a triumph one from eBay (e.g.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gear-Lever-Gaiter-for-Triumph-Spitfire-Triumph-GT6-Triumph-part-710820-/20155697348) and it was a per

Very broadly: Purge is in operation when the engine is warm, a minimum time since exiting crank has elapsed, there's a vacuum in the inlet manifold and closed loop fuelling is in operation.  When

Thanks to Tom, Andy, Ian, Barry, I manged to replace the gaiter without any swearing or breaking anything (which I normally do). By way of a record here are some piccies... Out with the old:

Posted Images

Derek will confirm when Sparky and I met him at the Lotus 70th Anniversary do, we told him we thought he was an Android. Happy to confirm this is not the case, he’s definitely a wizard though!

@sailorbob @Sparky

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

Great guy!  I got this lovely pic of him.

The Story of a Voice: HAL in '2001' Wasn't Always So Eerily Calm ...

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

No, he's the advanced model JCN.  The man is a bloody genius.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I've measured the solenoid resistance and they've come back as follows:

Rover = 23.5ohm

Esprit = 31.7ohm

Clearly different, but whether that is enough of a difference to result in the ECU on the Esprit throwing a CEL I don't know. I also don't know for certain that the both purge valves are definitely working correctly.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

You are over thinking this. Just rip off the solenoid from the canister. Cabletie it up somewhere suitable. Run the pipe to vent out by the driveshaft. Job done.

Only here once

1 hour ago, sailorbob said:

Very broadly:

Purge is in operation when the engine is warm, a minimum time since exiting crank has elapsed, there's a vacuum in the inlet manifold and closed loop fuelling is in operation.  When the integrator is in an acceptable range the rate of purge is decremented when the HEGO indicates rich and the rate of purge is increased when the HEGO indicates lean.

When the calculated dutycycle is above 85.5% (SE, other models may vary) then 100% dutycycle is used.

I knew it was something simple. 🤔 Great stuff thanks Derek.

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Just rip off the solenoid from the canister. Cabletie it up somewhere suitable. Run the pipe to vent out by the driveshaft. Job done.

LOL Barry, That's exactly how mine is at the moment and has been all summer. I do get the occasional niff of petrol though.

1 hour ago, tomcattom said:

I've measured the solenoid resistance and they've come back as follows:

Rover = 23.5ohm

Esprit = 31.7ohm

Clearly different, but whether that is enough of a difference to result in the ECU on the Esprit throwing a CEL I don't know. I also don't know for certain that the both purge valves are definitely working correctly.

If you really wanted to use the Rover solenoid, all you'd have to do is fit a 7ohm (10w) ballast resistor in series to satisfy the ECU.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-1-100-ohm-10W-High-Power-Resistor-SQP-Type/183468805331?hash=item2ab797ccd3:g:jagAAOSw4gpbtiZz

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

You are over thinking this. Just rip off the solenoid from the canister. Cabletie it up somewhere suitable. Run the pipe to vent out by the driveshaft. Job done.

I want to think it enough to understand completely what is happening Barry! @sailorbob's description is insightful. It changes nowt of course, apart from a more complete appreciation of how these cars behave, which I find fascinating and rewarding. Beyond and behind the driving pleasure and exhilaration, there's a whole bunch of well thought out well engineered systems that are a credit to those people who designed and made them. Least we can do is appreciate their efforts.

• Gold FFM

All that solenoid is for is to replace what used to just vent into the airfilter. 
As I understand it - it’s another trick on emissions to scavenge some fuel vapour and reinject it back into the engine. Yet more bollocks added onto a car like an EGR valve that frankly was never there before - but now ticks a daft regulation tick box.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Thanks to Tom, Andy, Ian, Barry, I manged to replace the gaiter without any swearing or breaking anything (which I normally do).

By way of a record here are some piccies...

Out with the old:

20200819_164421.jpg.4039878ecf30dd41bb0214b97b12c7c2.jpg

Gear stick out and reverse thingy off:

20200819_163452.jpg.2f74a6183fb8747e4e1cc8066956a45d.jpg

Soften the new gaiter in a pan of hot water for 10 mins:

20200819_163754.jpg.af7e70cb1d95278e8b3f1fbacf98eed3.jpg

Liberal application of non-branded washing up liquid to the gaiter and stick, followed by a somewhat erotic pulling onto the shaft (from the bottom up so to speak):

20200819_165256.thumb.jpg.e8e4acc803a193396c24e470298f9080.jpg

Gear stick bolted back on:

20200819_171158.jpg.e264998b24d872d6b7e6c886902e3aac.jpg

Gaiter screwed on through the fixing ring (didn't bother to cut holes in the rubber beforehand, screws did their business):

20200819_171933.jpg.02419811a2c2555e7c9e5f984d9f9a51.jpg

Ta da!

20200819_172421.jpg.f10b0a406bb1223a1ea3b8c88da14167.jpg

Oiled up all mechanisms during reassembly, gear shift now that much smoother. 

All in all a very quick and easy job. I'm not that experienced when it comes to Esprit maintenance but thanks to everyone's help this was a doddle :)

• Like 2

Hi all, just received that rubber gaiter.How do I get the tunnel trim off my S4 to get at the gear lever ,so I don’t have to sort it out !

There should be a pair of screws in the tray under the arm rest and the front end is secured with a strip of velcro. That should allow you to lift it enough to remove the various electrical connectors and then you can completely remove the trim.

• Like 1

Tom - Just remembered, Rock Auto website has a function where you can register to be notified when OOS items come back into stock, so if you out the canister P/N in, they should contact you.

Margate Exotics.

Hi Tom, thanks for info.The charcoal canister has been unavailable for a long time.  Have you found out yet if it’s valve is working/detachable/repairable.There are videos on YouTube showing how to replace the charcoal granules and internal foam filters but you have to cut the ‘lid’ off and work out how to replace it