free hit
counters
Gear Lever Rubber Gaiter Replacement - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Gear Lever Rubber Gaiter Replacement

• Gold FFM

Just genning up about the process for replacing the gear lever rubber gaiter.  Mine's perished and I'm hoping that replacing it will cure the good old petrol smell in the cabin (all other culprit pipes have already been replaced). Previous TLF threads indicate softening the gaiter in hot water beforehand, fairy liquid to lubricate the stick/knob and gaiter etc. The thin end of the gaiter needs to be trimmed prior to fitting, I assume to just a couple of mm less than the diameter of the shaft over which it will end up? Any other pointers?

Also, saw these 2 threaded holes in the lever mechanism. What are they for? Is something missing?

image.png.4c9e9813304e7649ed17eab91a7f3849.png

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What gaiter have you bought? I used a triumph one from eBay (e.g.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gear-Lever-Gaiter-for-Triumph-Spitfire-Triumph-GT6-Triumph-part-710820-/20155697348) and it was a per

Very broadly: Purge is in operation when the engine is warm, a minimum time since exiting crank has elapsed, there's a vacuum in the inlet manifold and closed loop fuelling is in operation.  When

Thanks to Tom, Andy, Ian, Barry, I manged to replace the gaiter without any swearing or breaking anything (which I normally do). By way of a record here are some piccies... Out with the old:

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

If you’ve checked the other breather pipes - make sure you checked the one to the charcoal canister. If that’s ok - then I’d replace the charcoal canister unit itself. When they stop functioning  - they allow a petrol smell to build up. It won’t be there all the time with canister failure as it is with bad pipes. Hope that makes sense.

Lots of hot water and lube - the old adage - never go in dry 👍

• Haha 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Thanks Barry. Have tried looking for a replacement canister (ACDELCO 215-163 or GM 17092109), can't find them anywhere at all. I read somewhere that you can get a canister without the purge solenoid built in coupled with a separate solenoid. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has done this though. In the mean time the engine bay can smell all it wants so long as it doesn't leak into the cabin!

• Gold FFM

I've yet to buy one. Total cost including delivery from SJ would have been £50. However I've now just ordered the one you recommended. Many thanks Tom, you've just saved me £34 :) :) 

How big is your (gear level) knob? Is it a big one like mine? image.png.ed229ee570002d4349900f9319849317.png

Mine has a PNM ally one fitted, but if you're considering fitting the rubber gaiter from the top I personally wouldn't bother. I found it much less of a struggle to undo the pinch bolt that holds the lever into the master assembly (red circle) and remove the whole lot. You can then punch out the roll pin that holds the reverse collar in place (blue circle) and slide it off the shaft and the boot then slides on with minimal effort.

IMG_20200525_192658.jpg.7b90f337f58a34925a9aef1cf72a1e81.jpg

Much easier to slide the boot onto this end like this 🙂

sWuldpcA_1OOXL0bnQbz9Ojqw-eUp-yqM2Xf9DNg

• Thanks 1
  • Gold FFM

Nope, my mistake, that's the ACDELCO 215-153 without the purge solenoid. Doesn't look like they have 215-163 or the GM 17092109 one. Do you have a link to the actual one Ian?

Just been out to the garage and had a quick look and the Rover one looks largely the same as the one on the Esprit. The only difference I can make out is the Rover's canistor is about 4" in diameter and the Esprit one is about 5" in diameter. Not sure what determines the diameter chosen.

Rover:

E67AYdNNkVfBRJrfJZLggO7HLIZEuPwOwCjSwYsD

Esprit:

sx_X9AQtve23SwM5aS1KQtnfNE66t-9JPu9QjLX2

The purge valves look like they can be removed from the canister and they do look to be identical from what I can make out, but I'd want to clean them both up and see if there are any part numbers or other markings to confirm that the valves are interchangeable. If they are identical, it should make sourcing replacement valve a bit simpler given there is a plentiful supply of Rovers rusting away in scrap yards around the country.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I wonder if the ECU assumes the volume of fuel laden air that is purges from the canister into the inlet manifold? If so, then differing volumes of the canister might confuse things?

56 minutes ago, RobinB5 said:

I wonder if the ECU assumes the volume of fuel laden air that is purges from the canister into the inlet manifold?

Hi Robin,

I've previously taken an unhealthy interest in these canister systems and don't see the ECU making any such assumptions. Sailorbob will know re; Esprit specific.

The ECU operates the canister solenoid whenever engine operation dictates suitable and likely continues to do so, whenever appropriate, regardless of whether the canister is purged or not.

The largish Esprit canister is appropriate for the relatively large amount of fuel the Esprit can hold and as such, the large amount of vapour that could need need dealing with on a hot day.

Or, more likely, it was available in the AC Delco parts bin and someone said, "that should do it."

Fitting a smaller canister should be ok in temperate climates like the UK.

Many modern UK cars have a very small canister of about 1/3 of the size or less.

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Andy, so the purging is just to ensure pressure regulation that would only potentially be an issue on a very hot day where there is a increased expansion of the air 'on top of' the fuel system? If so I can see why such 'non-functional' safety measures would have to be sized for worst case conditions and so normally, in temperature climes, would not be an issue.

Hi Robin,

Not so much regulation. Just allows the tank to naturally vent without stink.

The tank vent tube is always open to atmosphere via the charcoal filled canister.

Any vented smells are hopefully absorbed by the charcoal as the vapors pass to atmosphere through the canister's atmospheric vent tube.

At no time is there any pressure (other that atmospheric) in the fuel tanks.

Then, when the ECU dictates appropriate, the solenoid allows the inlet manifold vacuum to draw the vapors from the canister and burn in the engine combustion process, thus kinda regenerating the charcoal.

This draws fresh air in through the canister atmospheric vent in the process.

When the vapors are gone, it will be pure air that passes through the canister/solenoid and into the engine, albeit a very small amount.

The ECU makes the mixture adjustments needed to accommodate this small amount of extra air (or vapor)

Purging is only done when the engine will least notice the extra air/vapor, ie while driving above certain rpm's.

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Thanks Andy, I've not read such a clear description of the process before! So the solenoid is just a valve, got it (and yep, am still on quite a rude learning curve).

Exactly, just an electro-magnetic, open/shut valve.

Using the slightly smaller Rover canister should be fine in the UK's climate.

You will likely need to use the original Esprit solenoid though.

The solenoid is controlled by one of the Esprit's ECU quad driver circuits and is monitored.

Using a different solenoid will likely be noticed by the ECU and throw up a code 26 error and bring the CEL on.

Unless the Rover solenoid coil has roughly the same resistance as the original Esprit item, then it would be ok.

Andy.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, RobinB5 said:

Nope, my mistake, that's the ACDELCO 215-153 without the purge solenoid. Doesn't look like they have 215-163 or the GM 17092109 one. Do you have a link to the actual one Ian?

No direct link, I'm afraid. They may be OOS at Rock Auto but best to message them, they're normally pretty quick at replying.

And those were the correct P/N's.

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

5 minutes ago, AndyPG said:

Unless the Rover solenoid coil has roughly the same resistance as the original Esprit item, then it would be ok.

I'll try and measure the resistance on the Rover and Esprit solenoid when I get chance properly inspect them, hopefully tonight.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Thanks Ian. Will contact them now. Even though as Tom and Andy have said a Rover canister might suffice, I'd still be advised to use the original solenoid. Might as well be taken for a few more ££/$$ and get as close to the original as possible.

So of course there must be some logic / algorithm in the ECU that decides when to purge. Looking at various Espritmon logs of the purge cycle, I've not been able to correlate it with any other signal.  

In the grand scheme of things maybe it does't really matter, especially if the cabin is well insulated against fume ingress and when the ambient temperature is cooler there is not so much fuel evaporation anyway from the tanks. Still, would be interesting to know when the ECU decides to purge, for no other reason than to know! :)

image.png

2 minutes ago, tomcattom said:

Maybe its using the lucky eight ball algorithm to determine when to purge?!?

Probably closer than you think.

The EMH manual describes the solenoid as operating in pulses and the pulse width is controlled by multiple engine sensors.

Sailorbob will know the algorithm detail. He knows how to think like an ECU. 🙂

Andy.